Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 110 percent going to order my AL 48 20 ***** on saturday! I already put in the order for a cz 452 lux .22lr rifle yesterday! Should be able to have them both in my hands by the time its cold enough to start rabbit hunting!

anyways I want to put a sling on immediately. What parts do I need? I will order the sling stuff on saturday too.

any anytips for installation? I put a sling on a 10/22 once it went ok. I'm wondering if there is like a standad length from the butt of the gun for installing the back sling stud? I think I went like 1.5 inches last time.

I've never had a sling on a shotgun and I think it will be sweeeet! I will be able to free my hands for handling the dog, scrambling over rough terrain, and it seems there is never a tree to lean the gun on while cleaning a rabbit or going pee.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My Black Magic 48AL came set up for a sling. The hole for the sling stud on the stock is 2-7/8th inches from the toe on my 20 gauge. I was the opposite of you, I wanted my gun with the standard fore end cap and NO sling stud but the previously owned one I bought came that way. Oh well.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am not familiar with how to attach a sling to a 48AL, however i have always attached slings to all my hunting long guns especially the shotguns. i hunt in marshes and wet areas--no where to safely put your gun. i even shoot sporting clays with my sling on my 12ga B391 urika 2.

WARNING once you start putting slings on long guns all your guns will have to have a sling. i have drilled holes thru the magazine caps on Win 1400, 1100, 870,Beretta Extrema, i use the Uncle mikes sling swivel kit for a Rem 700 from wal mart. it has a machine bolt for attachment to a rifle forend. just drill hole thru magazine cap --center with a punch prior to drilling, the insert machine bolt with swivel stud on end--you may have to trim excess length off threaded end of machine bolt. the stock end swivel stud is same for most wooden stocks, length from butt varies. use what works for you.

it is probably better to use the factory swivel hardware when possible but i have not had any trouble adapting common uncle mikes swivel hardware to many models of guns with out incident. Usually a whole bunch cheaper than after market magazine caps with built in swivel hardware!!

You will like your sling for the many reasons you mentioned and more you haven't thought of yet. I have a pet peeve that i often hear from other hunters "Say can you hold my gun for "
with a sling on your gun you won't ever have to unsafely lean your gun or hand it to someone else!

Good hunting,

Bull

·
Registered
314 Posts
My 48 has the front swivel on the front of the fore-end cap. Variety's what makes the world go round. Me, I don't like a sling on any rifle or shotgun while hunting....UNTIL I need it, so I keep one in my day-pack for all my long guns. Since I don't use a sling for shooting per se, it stays there 'til needed. Don't know if the set-up on my 48 was "factory" or not so you might check with Franchi for the fore-end cap.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
at this point i'm going to try the rem 700 one mentioned by spud. I am thinking I may have to trim a tiny bit off the mag plug to make up for the bolt sticking through the cap. Anyone else have a better idea?

I put in the order and the gun ships on monday!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found 2 from uncle mikes that say universal QD sets. Look at them on this page.

One of them looks kind of weird, the bottom one. The top looks simple I guess you just drill hole in cap place screw and washer on inside of cap and tighten. check it out...

http://www.gunaccessories.com/UncleMike ... hotgun.asp

where is evbutler with the answers to all my franchi questions? Hunting season probably opened!

·
Registered
547 Posts
if you have time email or call Uncle mikes and ask them what model swivel they recommend for your Franchi.

the sets that cost $45 have a new mag cap in them. the cheaper ones you will have to drill thru your origianal fore end cap. the $8.95 will permanently mount your front swivel to the cap.

good luck.you will like your gun better with a nice sling, i recommend the butler creek or the rubberized ones that have a little spring(elastic) to them, they are a little more comfortable when your ar walking long distances with a heavy gun. i have a butler creek on my Beretta 391 that is over 15 years old and it is my favorite!

Bull

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bull Nutria said:
if you have time email or call Uncle mikes and ask them what model swivel they recommend for your Franchi.

the sets that cost $45 have a new mag cap in them. the cheaper ones you will have to drill thru your origianal fore end cap. the $8.95 will permanently mount your front swivel to the cap.

good luck.you will like your gun better with a nice sling, i recommend the butler creek or the rubberized ones that have a little spring(elastic) to them, they are a little more comfortable when your ar walking long distances with a heavy gun. i have a butler creek on my Beretta 391 that is over 15 years old and it is my favorite!

Bull
I'm a leather, walnut , and blue steel kinda guy. I already have a couple slings I use on my rifles I'll just use those for now. I would like one with a wider padded strap eventualy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.