Skin
Cut feet off
Cut in Half with Kitchen Shears
Marinate
Grill
Eat

G

·
i'll try my best to describe how we do it down here in east Texas...
we make an incision around the neck, and down the front. clean out all innerds (guts). skin off about an inch of hide down from the neck, cut a hole in the hide (to put a finger through...) hold on to the head with one hand and pull hide with the other until it gets to the hands of the squirrel. dont pull the skin all the way off of the hands and feet or tail, when you get the skin off enough cut at the joints with a pair of strong/field scissors. all that is left is to remove the head and have your woman cook it! :lol: hope that is clear enough and understandable.

G

·
Start by shooting them in the head with a 22. If you use a shot got this don't work too well.

Start by "socking out" back legs, then stand on the tail and pull 'em inside out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
:roll: hi guys, well lets see first i stretch out the legs to loosen up the skin then i pull on the skin on the back get it kind of loose then i cut across the skin on the back rib to rib ,then insert fingers in slit and pull sort of like trying to take his pants and shirt off at same time , pull them as for off as you can hopefully down to ankles and cut off feet, then pull the shirt up to neck and try to pull the front legs out and then cut off feet ,then pull skin up to the neck and cut off head , then all you have to do is gut them and cut the rib cage open to finish cleaning out the cavitee then rinse off and soak in salt water and after the body has cooled down rinse off and freeze them in your usual way (i sink them in water to freeze them to prevent freezer burn ) or cook them now .
i learned this from a good ol country boy that has been a trapper and hunter the biggest part of his life , when i learned this he was teaching his son how to do it, so not only did he teach my grandson but he taught me at the same time, who ever said that son in laws were not good for anything haha :wink: hope this helps a lot of people out there because i had quit squrriel hunting because it was to hard to clean the previous method i was using . :) errol

·
Registered
261 Posts
:D That's how I do it too. A lady in Maryland showed me that back in the 50's. My Dad always cut around the tail and stood on the tail and pulled. I like the back cut better. it only takes a couple of minutes and the squack is ready for the frying pan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.