Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you expect from a waterfowl guide.
I want him to do everything for me and have it all ready when I arrive29.09%
I would like to participate in the hunt (setting up decoys and other things)731.82%
I want to be in on it all right down to why you call like you do.1045.45%
I could care less either way just let me shoot my birds.313.64%

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Central Flyway - Targeted species Mallards and Greater Canada or Snow Geese in the spring.

Please don't get into a pissing match over paying to hunt. I know it is the only option some people have so let's not rain on their parade. Besides, I'll bet their wives are much happer then ours. lol :p

·
Registered
742 Posts
The way my hunting buddies and i do it is a group effort. I would not feel comfortable sitting back and doing nothing. It is just my nature to get into the thick of things.
My worst fear is having to hunt with a little lord Fontleroy type, with all the bells and whistles and not knowing up from down.

George 8)

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
My original response did not go through before the site went into "debug" mode. Here it is again.
I prefer to be totally involved in the process as I hire a guide for specific reasons, mostly to learn how to do something. if I were not a part of the operation, I wouldn't learn what I wanted to know. I was on the other side of this question for a decade and I operated with the clients doing their fair share of the work. If they didn't like it, the fee went up double to pay for the extra help I had to procure to do the job. This misunderstanding pretty much went away when I started booking my own clients rather than being part of a larger operation. My philosophy was always to teach the client as much as possible to allow them to eventually go off on their own and be successful. The clients loved it as they knew I would pull out all the stops to get them birds and it gave the impression their best interests were foremost in my mind. I also knew the majoity would not do this due to the money and space requirements to invest in a large decoy spread.
there are very good reasons for utilizing a guide, the equipment part mentioned above is one, a second is lack of knowledge of the area and/or species, third would be access to property such as in South Dakota and Texas, and lastly to have someone able to speak the local language on hand. This is more applicable when hunting out of the country but even some areas of the U.S. have their own ways of doing things and someone bucking those beliefs can have a hard time from the locals.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
For me it depends. If I am paying a large amount of money I expect to be taken care of. For example i am trying to save for the trip to Argentina and if I pay thousands of dollars to go i expect to have everything ready and not have to do a lot of work.

I know guys who take people out and charge them and hunt right along side paying customers. seems kind of too far the other way for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The one guided duck hunt I've been on, I was lucky enough to win, so I wasnt out nothing, which was good, real good on this particular trip. If I'd had to pay for this trip out of my own pocket, I believe I would have asked for consideration(if it wasnt offered) As far as the guides, I liked the guides just fine, knew them already, for the most part before I went down. Great place, just no water, few ducks. Anyhow, granted, this was my first guided, but I didnt like it. I helped w/ decoys, whatever, that's fine, there was plenty of us there, no problem at all. Joking and carryin on, just a regular hunt-just that money brought us all together LOL EXCEPT, one guy did the calling. Now, I'll say this, that is ALL that needed to be calling(spooky birds). You get more than that and you just as well be whistlin "Dixie". Again not a problem on the hunt, but I found myself feelin like a little ***** sittin on my hands waitin on someone to get a duck close enough for me to shoot at. It didnt sit well with me at all. I wont ever do it again(ok, never say never, but...) I'm used to running my own hunts and setting up my way, calling my way........I can hunt/work with my buddies if they wanna do something a little different, and try their ideas out, that's great and I am excited about it. Just something about being a "sport" I didnt cotton to.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snow Goose Hunting on the Missouri River Flyway

Ok I have done some research and this guy will let you participate at any level you want from being a beginner all the way up to a pro needing a place to hunt. He hunts the Missouri River all the way from SD border to Kansas and has a private pond located north of Omaha Nebraska.

Call Dan Mobile (402) 690-5479 Home (402) 571-2602 and he can fill you in on all the details.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
I have changed my opinions over the years. When I was in my teens and twenties I never used a guide and busted brush to get where no others would go. In my thirties and forties I mostly prepared good blinds and hunted with friends. When we did use guides, we pitched in and helped. In my fifties I mostly hunted alone or with one close friend on our properties. Now that I am over 60 I like to have a guide that does all the really hard work and I enjoy the cabin more and more each year. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts