Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for an over and under and have been doing a lot of research. I am leaning towards a beretta 686 white onyx. I love the way the gun points but it is a little lighter than the 391 I'm used to shooting. The 686 is 6.7 lbs and the 391 is 7.3lbs. I ask this for two reasons. One is my concern that this is not heavy to soak up the recoil(I'm only 5'4'' and will use it only for skeet with target loads). Second I am mainly a bender style shooter and have great respect for what he says and that is to shoot the longest heaviest gun you can handle. 28'' is as long as want to go. What I want to know is if 6.7 lbs is too light for skeet. I'm going to ask around this weekend at the range and ask if I can shoot an over and under in the same weight range. What do you guys think of the 686 in general, and do you think 6.7 lbs is too light for skeet.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
It's really a function of you and what works for you. Even though you're 5'4", in my opinion you should be shooting something in the 8.5-9 pound range.

G

·
First, It's a good gun. Second, a steady diet of 12G shells in a 6 and one half pound gun -even light ones - sooner or later is going to negatively impact your nervous system. That gun is a nice field gun because you carry it more than you shoot it. Skeet is a game that you shoot more than you carry.

You can hang weight on it in various ways though. And you can tube it and shoot it in 20G. But I think Power is right. 8 and a half pounds is light enough for a dedicated skeet gun. If this will be an all purpose gun, you can hang weight and recoil devices. Recoil gets ugly early in my world and like a homely wife that whines and can't cook, it'll make you twitchy all too soon enough.

Also, your size indicates to me you are either female or still growing or both. If you are I suggest you get a 20.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I deffinetly want to stay with the 12 ga. Im 17 years old and it seems that all the guns that are heavier are way out of my price range. If you know of an over and under that is that heavy that is under $2000 I would love to know about it. I did think about adding weight but would like to avoid that being I'm buying a new gun .

·
Registered
574 Posts
Although not a competitive skeet shooter I'll give you a little advice. If you plan on shooting a lot of skeet you might think about getting into reloading. You'll be able to load 3/4oz target loads that will greatly reduce felt recoil in a light gun. I currently shoot those loads out of an Ithaca M37 12 gauge (I don't know the weight) and haven't noticed any discomfort even shooting 500 shots in a day of practice. Another reason this might be helpful it that it will save you money in the long run when you're loading for 3.50$ a box as opposed to buying at 9.00$ a box.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do reload but I shoot 1 1/8 oz loads. I don't want to handicap myself but shooting less shot. I plan to start shooting competetive skeet in the spring and am looking for and gun that I will be happy with for a long time to come.

·
Registered
574 Posts
crowbuster said:
I do reload but I shoot 1 1/8 oz loads. I don't want to handicap myself but shooting less shot. I plan to start shooting competetive skeet in the spring and am looking for and gun that I will be happy with for a long time to come.
:D In that case forget everything I said *laugh* Us old guys can't handle very many 1 1/8th loads! :shock:

·
Registered
425 Posts
My first O/U was a Beretta 686 12 gauge and I can tell you from experience, you are not going to be able to shoot it competively with 1 1/8 oz loads. By the third round, recoil fatigue will catch up with you. I now shoot an 8 1/2 lb Browning and love it. However, even with that much weight I have cut my reloads to 7/8 oz. You won't be giving up anything by going to a lighter load. I dropped to 1 oz and my scores went up, I then dropped to 7/8 oz and they went up again. I am dropping down to 3/4 oz on the next batch I load. Personally, I would look at Browning O/Us. They are close to Berettas in price but have the necessary weight.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey Cobra, a man after my own heart. I have a closet full of guns but shoot my XS Skeet better than any gun I have ever picked up. I also have an XS Sporting in 28 gauge that is quickly becoming my favorite but I don't shoot it quite as well yet.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
As heavy as you can handle comfortably. My K-80 weighs in a bit over 10lbs without tubes, and a bit over 11 with tubes. I also know guys who are shooting guns that are SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than mine, and do so very well. I haven't met a lot of guys shooting 7lb guns that are what I would consider to be "good" skeet shooters.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Sooner, rather than later, recoil will lower your scores with a 686 in 12 ga with full loads. I suggest you shoot the 391, which greatly reduces recoil and look for a good used double in a real competition gun, such as a 682. If you take your time you can find one with a tube set for about 2500 or less. You can shoot that gun for many years, in all gauges.
Recoil is a major, major factor in skeet and trap shooting with a pre-mounted gun. Look at all the ways trap shooters try to reduce recoil while shooting those max loads. Watch how many skeet shooters lift their head to avoid recoil.
Get a heavy gun, and shoot the gas operated auto until you can find the double you want.
Learn how to shoot and go to a 28 ga load in either a 28 or a 20 ga heavy gun; like 9 pounds. If you are centering your targets in the pattern you can shoot as well with a 20 as with a 12. Many competitive shooters use the 20 in 12 ga events.
The 686 is made for field use, where one fires a few shots in a good day's hunting. Competitive guns are heavy because they need to be so. Floyd in Vienna

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
What about buying the 686 and add weight to it? There are good under grip and in the stock weights that could put about as much wt on it as you would like. A set of tubes will add plenty to the weight also.

bd

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
crowbuster said:
As others have said, shooting very many 1 1/8 oz loads out of a 7 pound gun will take its toll on you, and is not necessary. Been there, done that. The gun will be OK if you tube it. My suggestion would be to reload 3/4 or 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads until you can afford a set of tubes. In the meantime, you can add a barrel weight, and put some weight in the stock.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
I once was told by an oldtimer in the game that any gun that weighed less than 8-1/2 lbs. was useless on the Skeet field.

While I think he was right, (in a way), the real truth is you should use a gun that is as heavy as you can safely handle without tiring, during a 100 target event.

DLM

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
crowbuster said:
I deffinetly want to stay with the 12 ga. Im 17 years old and it seems that all the guns that are heavier are way out of my price range. If you know of an over and under that is that heavy that is under $2000 I would love to know about it. I did think about adding weight but would like to avoid that being I'm buying a new gun .
Browning XS Skeet

crowbuster said:
I do reload but I shoot 1 1/8 oz loads. I don't want to handicap myself but shooting less shot. I plan to start shooting competetive [sic] skeet in the spring and am looking for and gun that I will be happy with for a long time to come.
Get over it, little buddy. Shooting 1-1/8 is a handicap in skeet, unless you've got a gun that's comfortably over 9 pounds. You'll find very, very few top skeet shooters who shoot 1-1/8 12 loads for any reason. And the ones who do are shooting heavy guns and all the ones I can think of who do are also big dudes.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
crowbuster said:
Let me repeat and emphasize what other experienced shooters have told you. You do not want or need 1 1/8oz loads for skeet. You will not handicap yourself by shooting 7/8oz, 24grams or even 3/4oz. You will handicap yourself by shooting 1 1/8oz because you will pound yourself to mush from the horrendous recoil and go bankrupt thanks to the super high price of lead these days. :)

If you really want to shoot competitive skeet you need to shoot a lot of bullets in practice. A lot of bullets. Believe me, the recoil of heavy loads will kill you and you are just wasting expensive lead. Light loads (7/8oz or 24grams in 12ga @ 1150-1200fps) will flat out smoke any skeet target.

Just remember, good shooters shoot perfect scores with the .410 and only 1/2oz shot.

Mike's recommendation for an XS Skeet is perfect. You can then add a 10oz Briley barrel weight to the gun which does not mark it up in any way and duplicates the weight and balance of a tubed 12ga - exactly what you want.

·
Registered
483 Posts
For weight I would look at the used Browning guns. If you can find them the GTI in good shape in a very nice gun for the money and can be found for usually around 2K with the sub ga tubes and 900-1000 without. With a used gun you get alot more gun for your money and if you buy right and determine it isnt the gun for you you can sell it and not loose big bucks like you would on a new gun. Also a used gun usually allows ya to shoot before you buy( if you buy from individual). Sub 7 pound guns are not really ideal for skeet. The heavier guns take a little while to get use to if you are use to real light but not too long and the beneift is well worth it.

I would load a nice 1oz load going at 1180 fps the same as the factory target loads. I shot those for competition for a while and felt disadvantaged at all and they just crushed targets even the second shot on station 4 doubles. There really isnt alot of reason to shoot the heavy loades especially in competition where you shoot 4 rounds back to back it adds up in recoil. My personal favorite was the federal paper 1oz 8.5 shot loads. Had some nice doubles and shootoff scores with those loads.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts