Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's gettin out of hand here.
Nuthin but empty shells everywhere I go.

How hard is it to pick up your emptys? Personally I put a box to my right and most of the emptys go right into it so I only gotta pick up a few that missed.

Off my soapbox.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
When hunting upland game, I pick up allmy hulls as I use an O/U. For field hunting waterfowl, I mostly use an auto and I get as many of the hulls as I can. Generally, this is in the 90% range since most of this hunting is in disced fields and there is not much for the empties to hide in. Over water, I use an O/U or have been reloading bismuth in Federal paper hulls. These will degrade in as little as a year if they are not picked up. As I reload everything, every hull has a secondary importance and that fuels the search for them. I also pick up shells I find in the field for the same reason and also for the fact it is an eyesore.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Chris,
Great reminder for everyone that doesn't reload, to pick up their hulls in the field. I try to pick them up but admit that when the dove hunting gets a little crazy and I'm shucking shells from an auto, I'm not as diligent as I should be when looking for my spent rounds.

My neighbors and I do go out when dove season slows and make a big sweep thru the field we hunt and pick up all the rounds we can get to.

Great post and thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I will admit it does piss me off when other hunters do not pick up their empties. And I do pick them up. Out here, the "greenies" will be pointing the finger, and they have a right to. It reflects badly on hunting in general.
Remember... they won't rot and dissapear like toilet paper. :x

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
It's just lazy *** on their part. It's one thing for a couple of hulls to get lost in the weeds or float off in the water, but on the public ground here there will be hulls piled up, empty shell boxes, and the asst snack crap that they could take the time to drag to the field but couldn't be bothered to carry out.

I was talking to a friend on our cell phones yesterday and he was at a Boy Scout campout and the kids were doing some orientering, timed trail walks, and whatever else they do along Lake Martin. He was out on the trail marking their sheets for the timed walks and had taked a $5 bill and placed it in a cup just off the trail, within hands reach on a bush hogged path, he did the same thing with a french fry box just on the other side to see if they would pick up any of the trash. Out of about 300 kids not a one stopped to pick up the trash. He had a good time with them at the camp fire last night, thanking them for not costing him $5 or $10 and I bet today they have sacks of trash picked up, its too bad you have to bribe them to get them to pick up.

G

·
:( Sad to say how many "Trashpassers" are in the woods. I have stumbled on beer cans, coke cans pork-n-bean cans, you name it. I hate to say it but a lot of mothers raised some unthoughtful children. The road I live on is a magnet for all kinds of trash. tires, brush and worst of all, unwanted pets. I have saw chickens, dogs, cats and one pork bellied pig which I tried to catch but he got away and was more than likely coyote bait by nightfall. The semi city slicker rednecked sub-division dwellers think the woods was made to be their personal dumping ground. Not all sub-division dwellers fit that description but there are a few who abuse any and everything they can. We have slobs in the country too. I was following a car one evening and the driver threw out a McD bag full of trash and then turned into a driveway. Then I noticed who it was. Dumb butt threw it right in front of her own house. The only thing I try to leave in the field is tracks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The places I go shooting is also the place where I ride my quad, Other people ride their horses etc. There is so much trash around that it's a disgusting place to go.

It's mostly household trash, washing machines, refridgerators etc. Then to top it off there's 500 bright yellow empty hulls next to the pile of trash.

The "greenie's" are winning the war against us responsible shooters and off roaders because the general public see's trash and empty hulls in the off-road/shooting area and assumes that the shooters and off-roaders are causing the mess.

This gets places closed to public use.

I don't expect people to dive in a lake after a hull or to pick up every pellet, but get the ones that you can and any that are not yours. Maybe if everyone took out just a little more than they brought in we wouldn't go shooting/riding at a dump and the greenies would have less "ammo" to use against us.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Anonymous said:
:( Sad to say how many "Trashpassers" are in the woods. I have stumbled on beer cans, coke cans pork-n-bean cans, you name it. I hate to say it but a lot of mothers raised some unthoughtful children. The road I live on is a magnet for all kinds of trash. tires, brush and worst of all, unwanted pets. I have saw chickens, dogs, cats and one pork bellied pig which I tried to catch but he got away and was more than likely coyote bait by nightfall. The semi city slicker rednecked sub-division dwellers think the woods was made to be their personal dumping ground. Not all sub-division dwellers fit that description but there are a few who abuse any and everything they can. We have slobs in the country too. I was following a car one evening and the driver threw out a McD bag full of trash and then turned into a driveway. Then I noticed who it was. Dumb butt threw it right in front of her own house. The only thing I try to leave in the field is tracks.
Who logged me out?

·
Registered
457 Posts
My wife and I shoot O/Us and reload, so we save all our hulls. On the occasion we shoot a semi (3-bird shoot), we don't pick them up because it would slow up the squads. When shooting fun shoots with a tip bucket, we usually tip about $.50 per trapper per person when shooting the O/U, and $1 when shooting the semi.

What really gets me are O/U shooters who let their hulls fly. There is NO reason why they can't catch them and throw them in the hull bucket. If you're shooting at a fun shoot and plan on tipping appropriately, fine, let them fly. At a big shoot where there is no tipping, you should have the courtesy to dispose of the hulls properly.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
[Insert Commercial Here]
Ever have to bend over and pick up 100 hulls? 250? 500?
The Texas Hull Picker solves a very common problem for today's clay shooter...having to pick up your hulls. With our device it's easier, faster and less painful on your back and legs.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/texashp.html

Sorry...seemed like a good oppurtunity.
regards,
Jay Gentry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good post Chris !

Bottom line is that ANYONE who leaves trash of any kind in the field is an jackass who deserves all of our contempt. Not only does it give the anti-shooting crowd a great photo op, but it's also possibly the best reason for landowners to refuse access to hunters and clay shooters. Cattle and horses can't digest spent hulls or Slim Jim wrappers.

To the Scout leader : Great idea. Hope the troopers got the message.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh yeah, almost forgot :

Jay Gentry, don't apologize for your posting. There's nothing better than American ingenuity and enterprising inventors at work. Particularly when it helps to solve a problem like this. Hope you make a million $$ on that idea.

·
Registered
139 Posts
At our trap fields, the members for some reason think that their hulls will pick themselves up. I spend at least half an hour at the end of each day picking hulls. The skeet shooters are much cleaner, they will patrol the range after each round. I dont really complain about picking hulls, because there is someone there who is leaving their once-fired STS hulls on the range, and thats my hull of choice for reloads, so it makes me happy to get the area cleaned up. Plus it feels good to 1) See that the range is free of hulls and 2) Start with a clean range next Sunday.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The men and women I hunt with have several rules, and you don't get to hunt with us if you don't obey them:
1) Blue Sky - do not shoot low birds, period. And know where other hunters are.
2) Pick up your hulls. Most of us use break-open guns most of the time for this reason. Pumps aren't so bad, but I got rid of an 1100 28-gauge Sporting Clays model because it threw hulls so far that we could seldom find more than a few.
3) If you clean your birds on the property, clean them in a paper bag and take the feathers and offal with you.
4) Shut gates unless you are informed by the property owner to do otherwise.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Agreed. We pick up all of our hulls. We usually hunt on private property, and it shows respect for the property and property owners.

I've even seen written agreements where the hunter agrees to this and other practices.

Never ever leave a slim jim wrapper in the field. It'll make me hungry while I'm trying to concentrate ;-)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Its a shame about trash and I think empty hulls are a small part of trash. Its not just the woods, roadsides are full of fast food crap. Women buy the kids fast food and cause its messy in the car they tell em to toss it. Dont mess up my $32m blazer, good lesson eh. Do all of you readers use the ash try in the car, and empty it at home? Seen plenty of butt piles along the road. Dirty diapers, whole nother story, and on and on.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I think it's up to us to teach the next generation about caring for the great outdoors. This in mind, whenever I take my daughters, and sometimes the neighborhood kids, out, I always find trash somewhere to comment on. We talk about the idiots who would do this type of thing, then pick up the offending items and carry them out with us. The strong talk about "idiots" is in hopes that they'll never want themselves classified as such.Carrying the trash back out with us is usually accompanied by the old Boy Scout motto of leaving a place better than you found it.
I too believe that empty hulls are just another form of littering. A missed hull because it couldn't be found is one thing. Leaving them all where they drop is another. Come to think of it, that's another good excuse to hunt with an old SxS with extractors :D . I always like a good excuse for that.
Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.