Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the talk on this forum is about sporting clays/trap/skeet. Just wondering how many of you women are into hunting and how many of you have bird dogs. I haven't noticed any women on the sporting dogs forum other than one in New Zealand (or was it Australia?)

If you want to get into it but don't know anyone to teach you or go with you, YOU CAN DO IT. I had no idea what I was doing 2 and a half years ago when I picked up my first shotgun. I had gotten an interest in Upland Game hunting (game birds) but didn't know anyone who did it. Yesterday was the first time I went hunting alone (without another more experienced hunter). Just me and my dog that I trained and a friend's teenage son who wanted to see how it's done. I'm real proud to say I came home with two pheasants (limit here) which I will roast today. The kid and I are going out again tomorrow. It was exhilerating and exciting because there was so much action in such a brief period of time. My dog did incredible in really tough and flooded terrain. The point is that if I did it, you can do it.

How to start? 1) There are women hunts run by BOW (becoming an outdoors woman), the NRA (women on target) and the Wild turkey federation. 2) If you belong to a gun club for trap/etc find the hunters, some of whom are older men who enjoy passing on their knowledge and see if they will let you tag along. 3) Read magazines and books and forums like Shotgunworld.

If you want to get/train a dog, there are people out there who are very breed specific and love to help a newbie. Call a club or if no club exists, call the breed rescue and ask them for suggestions. Go watch field trials and meet people who love to work their bird dogs.

Just wanted to share this and see more women hunting and on the sporting dog forum here at shotgunworld. It's a good group with lots of knowledge and experience to offer, check it out.

GSPgal

PS My friend's kid who came with me yesterday is totally hooked. He's getting his FID card, a gun and, if we can convince his parents, a German Shorthaired Pointer! He's waited all his life for someone to teach him but didn't know anyone, said he never thought it would be a woman he learned from...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great Posting! I never have been involved in the BOW program (which is awesome!); but, I was lucky enough to be born into a hunting family which afforded me a free ticket to all the hunting I could stand... Ducks, geese, bucks and anything else that happened to be in season at the time! My father and my grandfather never thought once about the fact that I was a girl. If they went and did it; I did too. Those years of growing up with the two of them provided me with memories that I will carry into my old age. Now that both of them have passed I treasure those memories even more so.

Here's a few pics of some of my girls at work...
Cary, The yellow girl on the block!

Allis, The girl in black...

Bess, Who thinks she's the `only` black dawg in the world...

:)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VAshootergal, TAKE ME WITH YOU!!! Super pix.

Sounds like an idyllic childhood. I had great parents and grandparents but grew up in an inner city where guns were feared and squirrels and pigeons were our wildlife. I was always out of place and live in the woods now.

Great that you were included. My Mexican American girlfriend was in a hunting family with 3 brothers and her father refused to take her hunting with them when she begged. Her parents were afraid that if she was a "tom boy" no one would marry her. :roll:

I'm off on pheasant today - just 2 more weeks left.
GSPgal
"Go ahead, break my clay."

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hunt, but don't have dogs. I know enough people who have good dogs I don't need to have one myself.

My dad got me started hunting early, and I've hunted squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, chukar, hungarian partridge, quail (bob-white and blue scale), ducks, geese, turkey, deer, and bobcat.

Note, however, that "hunting" does NOT equate "harvesting" and I haven't gotten all of the things I went hunting for. :) Didn't stop it from being a wonderful fun experience.

Growing up it was natural to hunt, no discrimination against women that I could see, have been part of NWTF's outdoor woman program and when I was younger a lot of the kid programs for many of these organizations (Ducks Unlimited, NWTF, NRA, etc.)

I've harvested several deer and one bobcat, and plan on being out on opening day of gun season this year. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good luck with the pheasants! I'll trade you a duck/goose/deer/turkey hunt for a day of pheasants anytime...

I've got a lil chocolate lab that can play the pointer game with the best of 'em. We just don't have any wild birds around here. I let her play with placed birds or we'll go to the local pay to play. Well, I'll take that back on the wild birds, I have seen 5 individual birds (here and there) in my entire life :lol:

Here's a pretty typical day of it around here... Of course, doesn't ALWAYS work out that way.

Not so typical here as I shot my first banded mallard!...

I do a lil of this too...

I'd still trade ya for a day in the pheasant fields...

:wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy! I live in Florence, Oregon. Oregon is noted for Pheasant, but we don't get them here on the Coast. We bought a handsome GSP, 8 mo. old, named Reno, about 2 years ago, from Bully Creek Shorthairs, in Vale, Oregon. I've always loved puppies, & have never bought a trained dog, but what a difference it makes. He is as gentle and loving, as the day is long. But, when it comes to being Birdie, he's a God-Send. And I give all of the credit to Bully Creek!
I got into shooting clays @ 2 years, ago.. LOVED IT! As a waitress, let me tell you, I'm am normally more motivated into blasting more clays, than my husband! HA! This year, I even got one of those Do-All Clay Pigeon throwers. It attatches to your hitch, & has the little seat on it, my husband loves it, cause now he doesn't have to throw all of those clays for me! And after about 2 boxes of clays, he can be a whiner, trust me!!
So this year, we went back to Bully Creek, for the opening of Pheasant season. Reno, got to go home for a visit, and we loaded up on the Pheasant & Quail... My first hunt, and it won't be my last. I hunted with my husband, other women, a 13 year old young man, and local respected hunters... And cleaning those birds, was just as easy as cleaning fish. (& you don't have to scale them!) It was 10 days, of total bliss! I grew up in the cities of So. Calif., trust me when I say, I have never been happier...
I'm 50, 5'3", my first shotgun is a Remington, 870, 20 gauge, youth model. Lightweight, & hits everything I aim at.
My second shotgun, is a Felix Sarasketa, (Italian), 20 gauge, over & under, and it makes orange powder/smoke out of those clays! I LOVE SHOOTING!! Good hunting ladies, Pamela[/img][/code][/quote]

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all your responses. I am beginning to meet other women hunters through BOW. I now have a couple of female friends to go upland with. This past Saturday we had the annual BOW deer hunt at Fort Devens in Ayer, MA. Last year one of the 15 women got a 170 lb doe and this year 2 women got younguns (about 60 lb). One of the women on the hunt got her first deer, a button buck, alone in NH and since she didn't have much rope and her husband is nearly 90, she had to drag it herself the 1/4 mile to a cabin. Slowly, we are developing a group of women hunters who accompany and teach one another. It's good.
Pamela, your photo didn't come through, can you try again. Your pup sounds great. Was he finished? How much does the breeder charge for a finished dog?

I want to try waterfowl this winter, never done it.

We must use shotguns to hunt deer in my state so I use the same 20g 1100 I use for pheasant. I think I'll use my trap gun which is a 12 g for waterfowl if I get to go.

GSPgal
"Go ahead, break my clay."

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got my certification earlier this year and have yet to get out in the field. Friday will be a perfect bunny day here though...fresh snow and sunshine, rabbit paradise!

I have a keen interest in upland hunting and fully intend to get my self a good dog. My stepfather used to breed black and chocolate labs and is still in good with some reputable breeders of good hunters, so most likely that will be where I'm going to go.

Now if I can just coerce K4b00m into coming along....lol.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vag, if your interest is upland it might be good to hunt over a pointer first before going the lab route. You just might change your mind. If you haven't been glancing at the Sporting Dogs forum on this site, check it out. You will get a feel for the possibilities, issues, and of course the delights of gun dogs.
JMHO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy GSP Gal, We purchased Reno, from Bully Creek Shorthairs, in Vale, Oregon... 541-473-3908, Terry & Lori Henderson are devoted hands on, owners & trainers. We paid $600.00, but then again, that was 2 years ago, & he was 8 months old. The dogs/pups that I saw this year were awesome. And they have a 40 acre, pheasant, quail, & turkety, environment to run & train in! Reno's papers, have Champion lines, & he is available for stud, only because we want his line to continue. As for any fotos, I can't figue out how to put one on this letter. EEKS! Pamela[/img]

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm from Michigan's Upper Peninsula and love to hunt and do everything else there is to do outdoors - camping, fishing, archery, sporting clays, etc. It's nice to have other women interested in outdoor sports to chat with. I started out hunting with my husband before we were married. I learned to love hunting and everything that goes along with it. Now he doesn't hunt anymore, but I still love it. He comes along on bird hunts with me and our 2 English Springer Spaniels - Bemis & Bullet. Bemis is 4 yrs. old and Bullet is 8 mos. They're awesome bird dogs and also wonderful pets. Bullet is mostly learning obedience this year, but has gone along on hunts. He flushed and caught his first woodcock last October! We were amazed.

I shoot sporting clays with a group of women. Some are beginners and some outshoot the men.

I'm a member of the Ruffed Grouse Society and am on the fund raising committee. We have a banquet, sporting clays shoot, and fun dog trials. That's a hoot! It's open to "pets" that hunt - if your dog has titles from pro hunting events, they're not eligible to compete (except for exhibition - no prize). You and your dog have 15 min. to find and shoot 2 birds, no more than 2 shells per bird, and retrieve the birds (doesn't have to be to hand, but closer is better). I especially enjoy these events. Last year a GPS won. Bemis was 4th.

We don't have natural Pheasants here, so we go to game farms now and then just to let Bemis have fun. I'd love to go somewhere and hunt them in the wild. We have grouse and woodcock in our area, but the grouse numbers are in their down cycle right now. They should be back in good numbers in the next few years.

If any of you are in my neck of the woods, let me know and we can set up a hunt! Bird season is Sept. 15 to Nov. 14, and then a late season Dec. 1 to Jan. 1.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MI huntress, thanks for your post and your invitation. I bet you'd love the Women on Target Pheasant and Chuckar hunt in Brainard NE. There are some women from Wisconsin/Minnesota (is that near you?) who drive down together every year. It is in October and you can read about it on the NRA website. I'll be back again for the 3rd time in '06.

I'm curious why your husband gave up hunting if you are wanting to share that. with you and the dogs and all, I'm perplexed. Obviously it isn't a "morality" thing or he wouldn't accompany you.

GSPgal

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey GPS gal. I'd love to attend the hunt, although it's quite a distance to travel. Gladstone is on the northern shores of Lake Michigan, about in the middle of the U.P. I'm retired though, so maybe I'll think about going. It sure sounds like fun!

I'm not sure why my husband, Jim, quit hunting. I think he's just happy to accompany us walking through the woods, so actually, he's sharing the time - just not shooting. If I shoot a deer, he's right there to help me drag it. During firearm deer season, he's become the official camp cook and doggie sitter. He stays in camp and monitors the walkie talkies and spoils the dogs. Just give him a call on the radio and he'll be there. He has the biggest racks on the wall of any of us that deer hunt. Maybe he's just giving us a chance to catch up to him. LOL

I'm going to take a look at the NRA website and check out their hunt. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2 Posts
GSPgal, I hunt and have dogs. English Pointer and German Shorthair. Quail hunting is my favorite, but have tried pheasant, chukkar. I go with my husband. We have quite a few women here in Oklahoma that hunt and/or shoot sporting clays, which is fun..but nothing like watching your dog go on point. I also bow hunt & 3-D, rifle hunt and shoot pistols some.

Just your average Okie

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, watching the dog work is a joy. But I do have to admit, firing and watching the dog retrieve is even more fun than the point - for her too I think.

I've never hunted quail but hope to. Never even hunted wild birds if you can believe it. I'll have to be satisfied for now but hope to get on wild birds sometime in the near future.
GSPgal
"Hunt beside kids and over dogs."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.