1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I shoot them all every chance I get!

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I shoot them a few times a year mostly 20 and .410.

.410 is the most fun for me.

·
Registered
24,443 Posts
28 works for me - what I prefer for hunting as well....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I shoot subs at 3 or 4 big shoots a year. (Ga State, Alabama State, The Turkey shoot and the Peach State Classic)
I like the 410 the most, and it's the one I usually do the bast with.
I use a 20 o/u with 28 and 410 Briley tubes, but I shoot the 28 better than the 20 and the 410 better than the 28.
Go figure........

PA

·
Registered
99 Posts
:D I like to shoot them all, but by far 28ga. is my favorite. I still shoot a lot of skeet with the sub gauges to keep the flinching to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, let me ask a few questions. I have shot Sporting in the past, but starting all over again. :eek:

#1: If you go to a place to shoot, is there a regular range, and then a subgauge range?

#2: I assume the big dogs use a tube set (Briley or Kolar) for subgauges. When they take the tubes out to shoot the 12 gauge, do you or they add any weight for the missing 10 ounces where the tubes were?

Also, I am an avid trapshooter, and shoot competitions across the U.S. I have had a Sporting Clays course open up near me, and wanting to get more into it. I also sell shotgun shooting supplies @ the website below. I will be adding more products for the Sporting Shooter. Check it out, and any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt Woodson
www.scattergunstore.com

·
Banned
13,904 Posts
1. I love to shoot small gauge

2. at least 1/2 of the shooters are shooting a small gauge gun and NOT tubes....I shoot a small gauge gun

3. there will be a "small gauge course" at the bigger shoots....but rarely otherwise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'll shoot 20 & 28 in two or three competitions / year, and will occasionally practice at the range on the regular 12 G course. While the 12 course may be a stretch in a few cases, it's surprising how far the sub gauges will shoot, despite the reduced shot charge.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My home facility unless it is set up for a registered or large benefit shoot always maintains two courses for practice targets at different levels. One is set up as a practice completion course and has pretty challenging targets and the other is set up as a recreation course where occasional shooters can just have fun with pretty soft shorter range targets. The courses are flip flopped several times a year normally after a major shoot. The competition course is definitely made for 12 gauge, but can be done with a 20 or 28. .410 is nothing but a noise maker in my hands on the harder course. However, I love to shoot the recreation course with the small gauges, 28 and .410 in particular. If I want to do serious practice, I head to the hard couse. If I want have fun, I head to the recreation course with the .410 or 28 gauge tubes.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Woodson, I use a completely different gun w/Briley tubes for sub-gauges. This gun w/tubes is similar in weight to my sporting gun.

I look forward to NOT using the tubes. A 3 barrel set K20 is somewhere in my future :D I'm just not sure how long this future business is :?

RTA48

·
Registered
409 Posts
20 and 28 gauges work for me.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
My favorite sub-gauge is a 28ga Browning XS Sporting and I wish I had the same model in .410 and 20.

I use my old 682E skeet gun /w Briley tubes for .410. It's a dead toss-up between using the 28ga Browning or the 682 with 20ga tubes for 20ga events.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Just started this summer, shooting Stingers in my K80 - Like the 28ga the best, something about pulling the trigger, hearing a cap pistol go off, not feeling a thing and seeing the bird explode. Bad part is, as well as the cost of ammo, there no place around here set up for small gauges.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts