Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many of you guys hunt squirrel? never tried it myself but just curious.

·
Registered
261 Posts
:D Been hunting them since I learned to walk. If you are not using a dog, (which I don't) it is a lazy mans dream come true. You find a good stand of hardwood that has acorns and nuts aplenty and fix yourself a seat and wait for them to show. They have excellent eyesight and hearing and they will lay still for hours if they think danger is near. Sub-division squacks are not wild like the ones in the wild. Fry them up, make some gravy and chow down. Tree rats we call them in some places. They are fun to hunt. I use #6 shot or sometimes a .22 cal rifle. You have to be careful with the .22 cal due to the range. If you are in a big woods they are fine but in smaller areas a shotgun is best. When they are running from limb to limb, they are not that easy to hit. The Marlin web site has a forum called Rimfire that has a lot of squirrell hunters on it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Growimg up in GA. , my favorite hunting was squirrel. I used a .410 and always had excellent results and good eats.
I loved to be able to freeze a squirrel on a particular sized limb and I could hit the limb and the squirrel would just fall off and hit the ground dead, not a scratch on them. I was taught that trick by an uncle. I really don't know if it scared them to death or was it a sudden heart attack....
Anyone ever do that trick ?
Art :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I do believe it has something to do about the size of the limb and vibrations to that limb resulting in shock, but... I'm not sure... :?:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I've hunted squirrel in AZ since I was a kid. What I didnt know until about 10 years ago was that there are "eating" sqirrels and the just "annoying" squirrels.

The common tree squirrels here are small and not really wirth eating. about 10 years ago I saw this GIANT (by comaparison) Grey fluffy tailed squirrel. I was informed that it was an Aberts squirrel. Good eating ... but I really want a couple mounted ... really pretty animals.

Picture in case you haven't seen one

·
Registered
184 Posts
Most of the ones in town were grey squirrels. They were very large. Where I hunted at the house there were red squirrels, not as big as the greys. The greys measured tip to tip got to be about 3 ft. in length. When I first got to Cali, I wanted to go squirrel huntin' , people looked at me like I was crazy. They talked about them as carriers of bubonic plague, and why the hell would I want to eat one. Then they pointed one out to me, I said that ain't a squirrel, thats a chipmonk. NOPE ! THATS a squirrel. Welcome to California...... :?

·
2,390 Posts
Gotta love squirrel hunting. It's a great way to relax and do a little scouting for deer season. Then there's fried squirrel with milk gravy, buscuits and fried potatoes.

And, it's the perfect way to start a kid hunting. This pic is my boy at age 9 with a pair of squirrels (1 red, 1 gray) taken with his 28ga percussion muzzleloader.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I grew up hunting red tails in Missouri. We had a huge area of hardwood with oak and hickory right behind the house and I could go out and get a few after school with an old Savage 22/.410. I would use the 22LR on them when I could catch them setting still and then use the .410 when they were running. My grandfather used the hair from the tails to tie flies for trout fishing and he would tan the hides and make little folk art pieces to sell to the tourists from St. Louis and Kansas City. I will still go out and get a few whenever I am on leave at home during the season. I had never heard them called tree rats until I was stationed in Mississippi in the late 80's. Mighty good eating cooked on the grill or fried. --- AFG

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I just wish I had more places to hunt limb rats, I usually end up down home in the timber but that's a 3.5 hour drive. Planned on it this weekend to try out the new .17 but it appears I'll be in the John Deere hotel for the next six weeks or so.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can't belive people actually hunt these things? I laughed when I read about crow hunting, but this is just crazy. You guys eat squirel? I guess I would do it if I was camping, but I don't know if I would admit to it.

Now you got me currious.. maybe squirrel is good eats? Can you hunt em in So Cal?

·
Registered
256 Posts
pigeonhunter said:
how many of you guys hunt squirrel? never tried it myself but just curious.
I plan on trying my hand at it this year. Next weekend (26, 27) is scheduled for my "first annual squirrel hunt". Hopefully my kids will show an interest.

·
Registered
184 Posts
no wonder you laugh at squirrel huntin', your a Californian, its something that most people grow up with and here, Cali doesn't have THOSE type of squirrels. The ones I have seen shouldn't be called a squirrel, but a chip monk...

G

·
Being a resident of southeast Michigan we have a fair number of squirrels, and next to deer hunting its my favorite type of hunting. I normally use a 12 ***** mossberg 500 with a full choke and a 11/8 oz of 4 shot, the squirrels around here a some tough buggers, they can really soak up the lead!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Always loved knocking down a couple of squirrels. Here's one way: hide in the bushes near the edge of a cornfield (after the picker has been by--corn cutters have somewhat hurt this but it still works). The squirrels will come out and start eating the corn. I usually shoot them with #6 or #7.5 shot and my trusty old .410. After you shoot one, they'll all scatter, but you just hide and wait and they will come back. I know frying them is the main way, but I make Brunswick stew out of 'em. It's awesome!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Easy on Cali... I don't want to send Arnold after you guys. So next time I get a change I will take down a squirel and let yall know what I think. My brother lives in Texas, maybe I can wack a bear sized one out there.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sweet16 said:
I can't belive people actually hunt these things? I laughed when I read about crow hunting, but this is just crazy. You guys eat squirel? I guess I would do it if I was camping, but I don't know if I would admit to it.

Now you got me currious.. maybe squirrel is good eats? Can you hunt em in So Cal?
You need to get yourself a mess of squack, gravy and biscut and see what you have been missing. Squirrell season opening day is like christmas in a lot of places. There is more to it than just going out and shooting them. First, you have to find them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts