Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sporting clays - 200 birds

Skeet - 100 to 200 birds

Five stand - 100 to 200 birds

And since I can do this 12 months a year here in Fla, it gets expensive!! :shock:

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
It all depends. What I would like to do is shoot 100 rounds of 28 gauge on the easier course and then 100 rounds of 12 gauge on the tournament course. What that depends on is how busy the club is and how much time I have to spend there.
Probably about 2 to 2 1/2 hours when I visit the club.
If the guys want to shoot a warm-up round of skeet I'll do that also.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I spend most of my free time shooting.

With clays, typically 100 birds per session.

I'll usually throw a couple of other guns in the car to go play on the rifle and pistol ranges when I'm done shooting skeet.

On the weekends, I leave the house by 8am, usually go home when I run out of ammo around 2 or 3pm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Generally twice a week.
Each trip average 100 to 150 trap clays.
Occassionally throw in 50 or 100 sporting clays or skeet (maybe once a month).

Time at the club varies greatly. Depending on who I end up shooting the breeze with :)
When it comes to shooting the breeze I am a Master class shooter....

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Usually 8-10 boxes, skeet only. Usually two days/week. Visualization on other days. Of course, a tourney is usually 500 targets over the weekend. Seems to total out in the neighborhood of 30,000 shells/year between practice and competition.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I asked the question is mostly to see how much an average day of shooting will cost me. I've been to the range only twice and only shot 6 rounds... 150 shells total for both days. Both times I was only there under an hour and I didn't really want to leave. This could really get expensive!!! I just bought 2 cases of shells for $4.28 a box... a good price from what I've gathered. At loch raven skeet and trap where I've been shooting it costs $5.75 a round of trap for a non-member. If I shot 10 boxes thats $44.94($42.80+ tax) plus $57.50 for like 2 hours of shooting.Wow $102.44 for 2 hours, I better start looking for a membership fast!!!

·
Registered
17,973 Posts
GrownManRunnin said:
The reason I asked the question is mostly to see how much an average day of shooting will cost me. I've been to the range only twice and only shot 6 rounds... 150 shells total for both days. Both times I was only there under an hour and I didn't really want to leave. This could really get expensive!!! I just bought 2 cases of shells for $4.28 a box... a good price from what I've gathered. At loch raven skeet and trap where I've been shooting it costs $5.75 a round of trap for a non-member. If I shot 10 boxes thats $44.94($42.80+ tax) plus $57.50 for like 2 hours of shooting.Wow $102.44 for 2 hours, I better start looking for a membership fast!!!
Another one addicted. Soon you'll be squirreling away your coffee money and tucking it into a never used corner of your billfold to be brought out only on Sunday. You'll start to make trade-offs; "If I skip lunch at McDonald's today, I'll get one more round of skeet on Sunday."

When you're Jonesn' for lead, we've got you forever.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Even thinking about the smell of gunpowder gets me. Or seeing a pic of a K80 online when I hadn't seen one in a couple of weeks. I've got it bad, I think.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Per week all thru spring, summer and fall.
4 to 8 rounds of trap (100 - 200 targets).
1 to 2 rounds of Sporting (100 - 200 targets)

Per week thru winter
1 to 2 rounds of Sporting (100 - 200 targets)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
During Spring, Summer, and Fall, I typically shoot five times a week, four to five rounds of Skeet. Luckily a round at my club is only $2.00, and my ammo costs are about $3.00 per box. Now that deer season is in, I've only been to the range two times in the last three weeks.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
GrownManRunnin said:
When you go to the range, how many rounds of trap/skeet/wobble/5 stand do you typically shoot in one visit? How long do you usually spend at the range?
I'm a pretty low volume shooter, and my scores prove it. :lol: I typically shoot 3 or 4 rounds of skeet once a week (I live 75 miles away) if the weather is decent. I show up when the range opens at 1 and usually stay until 3:30 or 4. I just like being there. It is one place I've found (besides SGW) where people speak my language.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Per week all thru spring, summer.
1 to 2 rounds of Sporting (50 - 100 targets)

Per week thru winter

But i'm addicted to smell of gunpowder :twisted: :twisted:

tiny.really getting expensive! now.one

·
Registered
526 Posts
Here is one more gun shooting between 100 and 200 targets. It was at the higher end of this range that I first noticed felling "a little swimmy headed" (punch drunk?) after leaving the field. Since I have a lot of neat things stored up there under my thinning thatch, and did not want to risk their loss, the solution was to reduce recoil by matching lighter loads with a heavier gun. Now the weight of my guns equal at least 135 times the weight of the shot charge.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thursday night is my clays night. If I didn't bring a handgun or rifle, and my 3 hours is devoted clays, I'll shoot anywhere from 3 to 6 games of skeet. It's getting expensive lately, so we do more BS'ing than actually shooting. Often we'll get bored and move to the handgun range and shoot until we're allowed to (9pm).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I honor and respect those who calculate the costs out to the last cent. There are some things I intentionally don't think about. The cost of a round of clays is one- thus far, my ability to pay and the time I have to shoot sync up pretty well.

About 150 shells, 1 morning per week. Not enough to get much better, but enough to make me smile!

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Add me to the list of "don't want to knows." I do my best to not think about how much I spend on my shooting habit. For the most part, I'm pretty good at it!! :oops:

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
4-5 rounds of skeet on Saturday, same on Sunday. Every weekend. Usually there from 1 till 5:00.

When shooting a registered shoot, its 8 rounds a day. Am there from about 8:00 AM till 5 or 6:00 PM. Sometimes later.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts