Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am training my first bird dog, a GSP, and would like to know when do I start with the e-collar. I have been doing my yard work with the dog, sit,stay, come and he will fetch a ball as long as you want him to, but I limit him to 5 or 6 fetches a day when I am out training with him . I am also raising some bobwhite quail that are now 6 weeks old and I am putting them in the call back pen this week. I will put the pup on some birds this week and see how he does. Just wanted to know when I should consider starting with the e-collar? Oh, yeah, my GSP is 5 months old.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I asked the same question on another forum. Since, I live in the burbs, listening is crucial. Anyway, here is a simple rundown from a professional trainer.

"This is how I teach it, when you have taught the command and the dog understands the command, what I do is command, see if dog responds, no response, or just farting around, command-nick low setting-command. always repeat your command after nick it puts it together indogs mind. I think in your case with the city, I would do it with check cord also to start out. Don't use long cord 10 ft. max. You figure out how you want to have dog come to ya, most of the dogs I've done have been done with name-here. Put your cord in right hand, remote in left, when I teach here I use a stronger tug, so now it will be command-tugnick-command. Pet on it send on, walk around for little bit, repeat. You'll see after 7-10 times dog will start coming in with no tug, and posibly no collar, it is learning that nothing happens if I do this. And there will be times of "screw you" So collars on, repeat command-nick-command. So you gave dog chance, it thought it was ahead of you, you made the correction. I have put collar on early in the morn. worked dog in afetrnoon, turned it while I was petting it, dog didnot relize it was there. Excellent correction made. You got to give dog time to learn!! Patience is a virtue. If you don't have a collar there is place called collar clinic, its about the cheapest to get collar, or have one worked on. What they do is use the old casings of the transmitter, and reciever, shell out put in all new guts. Excellent price. My self if its that busy where your at, I would be careful about the area ans not let her off the cord, she'll use the bathroom. Use the shorter cord that way if she's running circles you can feed rope around you not get tied up!! Jonesy "

As to how soon, he never answered it. My guess is when teaching woah. Although some say not to use a collar until a year old and only for correction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had Shorthairs for over thirty years and if I were you I would put that collar away and let it there until your pup is a year old or older. Then I would seek the advice of a professional on how to proceed. One mistake with that collar can ruin your dog for life. Have you purchased any books on training? Have you talked with other pointing dog owners who have trained their own dog? There are a multitude of good books and videos on pointing dog training on the market. Let you pup be a pup for awhile longer and invest in a few good books. It is possible to train a dog without using electronics. It all depends on the dogs temperment. If he is willing and biddable then you probably will not need to use pain to achieve the results you want. Above all, proceed with caution when using a collar. It is a valuable training tool when used correctly and a destroyer of potential when used otherwise.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I think e-collars are too often used as a crutch rather than a training aid. Leave it on the shelf at the store and learn more about your dog. The stronger bond you and your dog have the more (s)he'll want to please you and the less you'll need an e-collar.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
E-collars are like any tool used correctly theya re fantastic and usefulll. Used incorrectly they can do nothing but harm your dog. the key is you have to train your dog so she knows what is expected of her. After she is trained then you use the collar to correct her not to train her. My recomendation is to get the green book from NAVHDA and read it. Excellent traing manual and then after you have gotten her trained use the collar.

I was with a guy today his Springer would not listen would not come disapeared he has a collar on him. Well that collar was worthless because the dog was not trained. Kept in a kennel not worked with. Take the dog out put the collar on and expect it to hunt. it just dosen't work that way. They are amazed at how good my dogs do but I work with them almost every single day and guess what I very rarely have to use the e-collar.

·
Registered
173 Posts
just as an aside: when and if you do decied to start using/training with the collar, put it on the dog for a few days before you start using it. this is what I was told by the professionals that I contacted when I had the same question. what this will acheive is the dog not relating the correction with the collar, that way he/she doesn't learn to runand hid from the collar.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
You have gotten some great advice and I can only re-enforce what others have said. I see no need to use a e-collar on a dog younger then a year. I do however collar train my dogs younger then a year but only for a safety reasons.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jThanks alot guys for all the input. I had also heard that around a year old and also how the pup is doing in his training will determine when and if I need to use the e-collar.
My GSP, General Lee, is learning well and being a typical pup, sometimes he listens and performs well and sometimes he doesn't. I am just enjoying the lesson we are both getting during this learning period. I wouldn't want to do anything that would be detrimental to his learning. He is one of the smartest dogs I have ever owned.

I live on a farm and also work a full time job away from the farm 5 days a week. I take General out every morning at sun up and train for 45 minutes and then when I get home at night I always take him along with me to check on and feed the cows and horses.

I plan on getting the NAVHDA training book,along with all the rest of the material I already have on training. I'll try to keep you posted on his progress.

Thanks again for the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.