Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am training my first bird dog, a GSP, and would like to know when do I start with the e-collar. I have been doing my yard work with the dog, sit,stay, come and he will fetch a ball as long as you want him to, but I limit him to 5 or 6 fetches a day when I am out training with him . I am also raising some bobwhite quail that are now 6 weeks old and I am putting them in the call back pen this week. I will put the pup on some birds this week and see how he does. Just wanted to know when I should consider starting with the e-collar? Oh, yeah, my GSP is 5 months old.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jThanks alot guys for all the input. I had also heard that around a year old and also how the pup is doing in his training will determine when and if I need to use the e-collar.
My GSP, General Lee, is learning well and being a typical pup, sometimes he listens and performs well and sometimes he doesn't. I am just enjoying the lesson we are both getting during this learning period. I wouldn't want to do anything that would be detrimental to his learning. He is one of the smartest dogs I have ever owned.

I live on a farm and also work a full time job away from the farm 5 days a week. I take General out every morning at sun up and train for 45 minutes and then when I get home at night I always take him along with me to check on and feed the cows and horses.

I plan on getting the NAVHDA training book,along with all the rest of the material I already have on training. I'll try to keep you posted on his progress.

Thanks again for the input!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.