Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently bought a 18" barrel for my Mossberg 500 that has several rust spots on the outside.

The gun is going to be used exclusively for home defense. I have other hunting and sport guns. I am not looking to turn a piece of rusty metal into a "showpiece" just to make it presentable, and to keep further damage from occurring.

What recommendations do you have on restoring the barrel? My thought was to sand with fine grit sandpaper, but then I don't know what to do next.

Paint Flat Black? "Blue" the barrel? (I don't know what this is - I've only heard the term)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Rub the rust spots with 0000 steel wool, lubricated with gun oil or cleaning solvent. Don't rub real hard, don't put a lot of pressure on it, or it might leave rough areas in the good blueing around the rust spot.

When you get the rust off, touch up the spots with Birchwood-Casey Perma Blue. I have had better luck with the liquid blue than with a paste.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I read in a gun magazine once about gently rubbing the rust off with the edge of a crisp edged nickel. Something about the nickel won't remove blueing.

I tried it. It works. But rub gently to scrape off the rust. Oil afterwards.

Oh. The gun I tried it on was a friend's Mossberg 500 410 barrel.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
He left it behind his truck seat and left the windows down and it rained. Not good. But, it did pit the bbl but the barrel remained black when the rust was removed. Stumped me. :shock: I thought it'd be bright silver, like the nickel.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Put some Coca-Cola on the rust spots. Takes rust right off.
Carbon dioxide and iron oxide (rust) combine with the phosperic acid of coke to essentially reverse the rusting process.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What if you accidently spill some rum and coke on your barrel JP? What do you use to take that off? :lol: :wink:

As an alternative, if it is really badly rusted, would be to coat the barrel with one of the parkerised type coatings that are available. I think they are epoxy based, maybe two part application. It stands up pretty well, to the rough and tumble, and won't cost you a bundle. 8) :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
12GA guy"]What if you accidently spill some rum and coke on your barrel JP? What do you use to take that off? :lol: :wink:

Like my Paw always said..." Gunpowder and alcohol don't mix. It won't shoot and the darn stuff tastes awful and don't smoke if yer fixin to try it." :roll:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Don't use steel wool, use nickle wool. I've a big wad of nickle wool that I've used a couple different times to knock surface rust off of guns. You can find it at gun shops and gun shows usually.

Nickle wool will not cut through the blueing or scratch the metal at all because it's softer then the metal on your gun. Even very fine steel wool will scratch the actual metal of the gun and not just knock off the rust.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The coke didn't work so well. Actually the 0000 steel wool didn't work so well. Some of the rust spots were deeper than I thought.

All the coke did was make a mess.

:? (Cring) I actually busted out the SOS pads from under the sink and really had to lay into the barrel. I have removed most of the rust and started re-bleuing. i wne t with the Superblue liquid that is working pretty-well.

·
Registered
493 Posts
lawsonjt said:
The coke didn't work so well. Actually the 0000 steel wool didn't work so well. Some of the rust spots were deeper than I thought.

All the coke did was make a mess.

:? (Cring) I actually busted out the SOS pads from under the sink and really had to lay into the barrel. I have removed most of the rust and started re-bleuing. i wne t with the Superblue liquid that is working pretty-well.
What is super blue liquid? Did Coke work for removing any rust? Sounds pretty messy....like do it outside sticky messy. But if it works on surface rust......cool. Let me know.

jlptexashunter: Will diet coke work, that is all I have. I assume the missing sugar won't change the amount of acid in it.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I'm assuming it will work.

I've used coke to remove surface rust on 870's. Nothing rusts quite like an Express. It is an outside mess kind of thing and it does take a while to work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.