Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't really find what I needed - I've got a Mossberg 500 and am having trouble loading shells into the magazine so wanted to take it apart to clean it but it doesn't seem to be easy.

Some shells feed in easier but I've shot about 700 rounds thru it now and the magazine definitely looks dirty so I'm guessing that's my problem.

Does anyone clean these without removing the mag tube from the receiver ? If so, what's your method ?

If not, it looks like it's not easy to just unscrew the mag tube by hand - needs heating to remove the locktite - is that correct ?

Thanks for any help - sorry if it's a newbie question ......

·
Registered
114 Posts
Remove the magazine cap holding the barrel on, remove the magazine spring retainer, spring plug (if installed) and magazine follower, (part that pushes against shells in magazine tube. Clean tube from muzzle end of reciever (no need to remove magazine). reasemble in reverse order. Lay out parts in order of removal to facilitate reassembly.

SPIII

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummm.... Thanks Silver Pigeon but I don't see a "magazine spring retainer" or "spring plug" ....?

On the end of the magazine there is the threaded end which the magazine cap screws into, but it appears to be a solidly affixed part of the mag tube.....

Does'nt show up in my manual's exploded view either...?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My mistake, was thinking of the 835/590 type of magazine. The 500's tube does need to be removed to strip the magazine components. Once you unthread it the follower, spring, and plug will be under tension be careful to retain the parts until the magazine spring is relaxed. Should be an exploded view in the owners manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So.... do you really have to heat the mag end to get the loctite loose in order to remove the mag ?

If so, maybe I should just try and lube the mag without removing it from the receiver ?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Silver Pigeon III said:
My mistake, was thinking of the 835/590 type of magazine. The 500's tube does need to be removed to strip the magazine components. Once you unthread it the follower, spring, and plug will be under tension be careful to retain the parts until the magazine spring is relaxed. Should be an exploded view in the owners manual.
Since it's been brought. How does one remove the spring retainer from an 835? Is a special wrench needed? I've tried to remove it before and was unsuccessful.

Thanks
Sho†gun

·
Registered
114 Posts
The magazine spring retainer on the 835 is a c-shaped spring (note the slot). It is a slip fit. I have a brass J shaped tool I use, but have seen others use a screwdriver to gently pry the retainer out of the tube be careful not to mar the finish. It should come out easily unless it has rusted in place.
To my knowledge there is no thread locker on the 500's tube, I have only completely disassembled one once and used a strap wrench around the tube. With the reciever in a vice it was not unduly difficult to loosen. The gun was a demonstrator for classes but no one mentioned heat being needed to loosen the tube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thanks for the help - I also called Mossberg and their service department confirmed that there is locktite on the magazine and I'll also need special tools to remove it. ( I'm guessing a wrench to fit the slots at the front end of the mag).

So, I'm going to try some sort of cleaning & lubing from the receiver end of the magazine with it still on the gun. Anybody done this before ?

Thanks-JB

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just used leather padded visegrips, you need to make sure you do not crush the tube, either by clamping real close to the reciever by the threads or by puting something inside the tube (wood, steel) it needs to fit tight inside.

Michael Grace

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I did the same thing as mgrace. Just used an old belt and a pair of vice grips on the very end of the mag. Came loose pretty easily with some leverage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I dont know if this is proper cleaning but I

Take the barrel off.
Take wood plug out
Spray cleaner down the mag chamber where the wood plug comes out.
Use a hanger and put a rag in the mag chamber (Like loading a shell) A Piece of tape will cure sharp ends of the hanger.
Finally push it through the mag chamber a few times.

[/code]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I don't know if maybe I got a defective Mossberg 500, but when I needed to unscrew the mag tube I had no problem unscrewing it by hand and didn't need any special tools. See the problem I was having was that there was lots of dirt in the tube and it would make the follower stick so what I did was take the tube off and then clean both the tube and the spring with solvent and then oiled them and after that I never had any feeding problems ever again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts