Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reloading 7/8oz on my mec with no problems at all,but when I tried to load a 1 oz load.the lead was so close to the top that you couldn't crimp it without buckling the case.I was going strictly by ny lymans 4th edition.I was using win AA hulls,Herco [email protected] grains,cci 209 primer,one ounce of #8 shot,and one remrxp20 wad.I am using the new HS AA hulls.can anyone tell me what the problem is.I was using the same hulls that came from a store bought 1 ounce load,thw winchester AA,1 ounce.HELP. sj :?: :?

G

·
Are you using a wad suitable for a 1 ounce load? There is a difference in the depth of the shot cup for a 1 ounce load.

Kent

·
Registered
658 Posts
The 2 things that occurred to me undoubtedly also occurred to you - the wad seating pressure could be insufficient, or, after seating the wad and dropping the shot, the rammer tube is pulling the wad partway out of the shell when you raise the handle. I've had that problem with some wads. Let us know what you discover.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was using a rxp20 which is a 7/8 wad and I wondered about that,but that was what the book said.I had the wad seater set to 70 pounds and no the wad wasn't comming back out. I looked up winchesters loading data and found out that I needed to back off on my starter crimp until a pencil would go in it.That solved the problem. You can't crimp these new hulls as tight as you could the old ones. sj

·
Registered
260 Posts
sjones said:
I was using a rxp20 which is a 7/8 wad and I wondered about that,but that was what the book said.
I suggest a wad designed for the purpose, such as the SP20. I have used the SP20 with 4756 and HS-7 in the Winchester 20 ga. Hulls. Both work fine. You can find reloading data for this wad using a number of other slow burning powders.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
First and foremost, the wrong wad! Use the 1 oz wad and secondly, the new AAs are tougher than boiled owl snot to load without crushing the hull. It can be done but the crimp has to be done just right and don't try to seat the crimp with a little ridge like most of us are used to doing with the old AAs. If I were wanting to load 1 oz loads I'd use either Federal or Cheddite hulls. I don't have a Lyman book, but from what I've been able to discover they are about 4 years obsolete! Lots of things have happened in the shotshell business since thier last printing! Get the latest book from the powder manufacturers for the best data.

BP

·
Registered
549 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
First and foremost, the wrong wad! Use the 1 oz wad and secondly, the new AAs are tougher than boiled owl snot to load without crushing the hull. It can be done but the crimp has to be done just right and don't try to seat the crimp with a little ridge like most of us are used to doing with the old AAs. If I were wanting to load 1 oz loads I'd use either Federal or Cheddite hulls. I don't have a Lyman book, but from what I've been able to discover they are about 4 years obsolete! Lots of things have happened in the shotshell business since thier last printing! Get the latest book from the powder manufacturers for the best data.

BP
I have to agree with BP the cheddite hulls load better for 1 ounce loads I use Longshot & WAA20's, however if you want to use a Remington wad you need the SP20. As for hulls the AA's and STS's dont have the internal capacity for most 1 ounce loads Federal, Fiocchi and Cheddite do

·
Registered
459 Posts
Check the powder manf. or lyman reload data. They all list 1oz 20 ga loads for all the different hulls and some of the recipes call for a 7/8 oz wad and some call for a 1oz wad. The key to it all is to follow the recipe, check what your loader is dropping with a good set of scales, make adjustments to your loader if needed and then enjoy the fruits of your labor .

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
BP is right. the new AA's suck like a Hoover. go to the old ones if you can get a hold of them, if not the Rem STS shells are good. Hodgedon has a lot of new loads out for 20 gauge 1 oz. the one i particularly like is the one using the new Longshot powder. That stuff is really hot so it doesn't take much at all to propel an ounce of shot to 1200 fps!!! very little recoil too.

hope this helped.

Nick

G

·
I hate to disagree with some over the use of the RXP20 wad, but I have been using it for 1 oz. upland loads for probably 7 or 8 years now in the lower barrel of my O/U. My wife also uses it in the lower barrel of her O/U.

I use:
WAA20 hull
Win 209 Primer
15.5 grains Unique
RXP20 Wad
1 oz. #5 shot

Absolutely deadly on pheasant out to about 25 yards...and the crimps are beautiful with all shot contained in the wad. Hull life is about 7 or 8 loadings before developing pinholes at the base of the crimp. However, this is with the old WAA20 hulls which I fortunately have a large supply of.

This load also comes from the Lyman Shotshell Handbook 4th Edition.

Having said that, the data for the Activ 1-1/8 oz load using the Activ W-32 wad and 23 grains of Blue Dot is WAY too hot in my guns. The hulls were separating just over the basewad after the second loading (starting with brand new hulls).

Further research showed that ACTIV themselves recommended 20.5 Grains of Blue Dot with the same combination. Dropping to 20 grains solved the problem, so be careful of what you read.

Ka6otm

G

·
I have been loading 20 ga. 1 ounce loads with Longshot powder for about a year. I use the 7mm. Fiochi hull from BPI with the 616 primer and a WAA20 wad. I use a single overshot card for a tight crimp. My daughter, the 20 ga. shooter loves them. She tells me the recoil isn't too bad and she is shooting them quite well. (no family bias :lol: ) She tells me she prefers that load over a factory AA shell. Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts