Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new (very new) trap shooter. I tend to swing ahead of the target and wait, therefore stop, and pull the trigger and miss. How do you train yourself to pull the trigger at the right moment but not stopping or slowing the swing? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Hi!,

A very good question! This is a problem I think most have had at one time or another. I know I have. Two things I do, that may or may not be right, is to simply concentrate on follow through. And I've found for me, that a slightly heavier gun helps me maintain my follow through also. The old "things in motion tend to stay in motion" idea.

I too am very interested to hear from others about correcting this.

Dale

·
Registered
279 Posts
swinging through the target might not be a big a deal in american trap as you think. the barrel swing isn't that long to begin with.

If your gun does in fact shoot where you point, try looking at the "kill zone" just ahead of the target. your gun will have to be in motion as it swings across the target.

second, hold your head down on the stock until well after the shot is fired, and at the same time try keeping the gun moving with an exaggerated swing.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
The problem might be eliminated by firing just as the gun passes the target. There is no reason to swing through/ahead and then waite.

Ideally, the gun should come close to following the fiight path of the target when you are a new shooter. If you look as was suggested, just ahead of the target, fire the gun when it gets there. That doesn't account for swing speed but after a time, you will know when to fire to get the pattern where the target will be when the pattern arrives. It is known as the "sight picture" and referrs to the barrel's position relative to the target. With different shooting stations and target directions, it is a learning experience and takes time.

Also involved is where your gun shoots relative to where you think it is going to shoot. Shooting at a pattern board may help determine that. Someone where you shoot can instruct you on how to pattern your gun.

Rollin

·
Registered
80 Posts
Alex--- it takes a while, and lot of practice. But here's one thing to try as a change: don't wait. Just shoot that clay. As soon as you see it, get it. Like, NOW. Not at the top of the arc, not when you are comfortably lined up rifle style. But NOW. Pull-bang. Not pull..........bang. Make sense?

If you are aware that you are stopping your swing and waiting for the clay to catch up, you are taking too long! If you are lining up the shot, aiming the barrel where the clay is going to be, you are taking too long. Shoot faster!

Sounds corny, I know. But try it!

If you can get a trap field all to yourself for a bit, maybe with one person to "pull" for you, get right up close to the trap house. Now each shot will be a straight away, and really really close. Or, go the a skeet field and shoot from the low house position #7,at low house clays. Break them before they go over the trap house. Tell yourself, NOW.

If you do this, you will be shooting instinctively, using muscle memory, NOT using your brain for trigonomerty and calculation of appopriate lead. Your built in killer instinct knows what to do! After a few boxes, if you are breaking the clays, you may notice that you are no longer pointing out in front and stopping. If you are FAST, you not taking the time to get out in front.

If you find that you are still getting out in front and stopping, tell yourself FASTER!

Other guys will tell you to Follow Through, and Pull Through, and Move Like a Tank Turret, or Spray like a Garden Hose. That's all great and correct, but it's easier to teach yourself to shoot fast.

Good luck! Also, try skeet! There, you really have to be fast and you really can't stop and wait. But the clays always take the same path.

-- Q

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree with Quackster 100%. I'd only add that its fatal to stop or hesitate in the barrel swing, whether you are "waiting" for it or stopping as you pull the trigger.

I had a problem like this that I solved just by keeping my head down on the stock and continuing a kind of exaggerated swing long after the target was killed or lost.

You can also ask the trap help to set the trap to throw hard rights from station 5 and hard lefts from station 1 is you want t work on these birds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.