Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone knows how to remove the spring inside the butt stock on a Remington Versa Max?

I have fully submerged this gun into saltwater for the 3rd time today and would like to clean that spring inside the stock (not sure what you call it exactly)

Gun runs perfectly fine, I just have some rusty water dripping from where the spring is and would like to get it all nice and cleaned up

cant find any YouTube videos! Have never taken the stock off any of my shotguns Thank you

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you submerged it in salt water two times already and let it sit without ever disassembling it, I really wish you luck, I have a feeling the rust inside will be impressive.
Ive cleaned it each and every time, just never that spring inside the stock.

mind you, the last time I’ve submerged it was two seasons ago. Absolutely trouble free gun. Ran all day today after I dropped it. I just want to do some preventative maintenance inside the stock after seeing that rusty water pour out lol

All I'm gonna say is, I'd hard convinced there is a more reliable waterfowl shotgun after the terrible things this gun has seen and refuses to quit.. :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here is the VersaMax link on shotgunworld. It should answer just about any question you’ve got. I agree with you about its reliability btw. I hunt with one too.
There are videos online on how to remove the recoil spring in a Benelli. It should be very similar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the VersaMax link on shotgunworld. It should answer just about any question you’ve got. I agree with you about its reliability btw. I hunt with one too.
There are videos online on how to remove the recoil spring in a Benelli. It should be very similar.
Thank you sir! I'll see if I can get some info there. I THINK I know what I need to do, but I don't want to attempt until I know for sure because it operates as it should at this moment in time

·
Registered
140 Posts
If it is like the benelli, you unscrew the stud from the spring housing. Be sure to put a punch through the hole in the end to secure the spring and keep the stud from shooting across your gun room.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wondering if anyone knows how to remove the spring inside the butt stock on a Remington Versa Max?
Remove recoil pad.
Use appropriate-size (long) allen wrench to remove the stainless stock bolt and both (lock & flat) washers
Pull off the buttstock with cast plate in place (make note of the cast plate alignment relative to the action tube plug screw)
Remove the stainless action spring tube plug screw (a 19mm socket fits the ASTPS just fine)...understanding your recoil spring is behind under tension.
Recoil spring and follower should pull right out.

Both the allen screw stock bolt and action tube spring plug screw are stainless and the action spring tube is Aluminum...that doesn't mean they haven't corroded (and frozen) with salt water incursion. If the action tube spring tube plug screw is frozen on the end of the action spring tube...there's a chance when you put that 19mm socket on it to turn it off...the action spring tube may turn off at the receiver. Not a big deal, but the follower retaining ring will come out as well...so be prepared for that.

You might consider using a anti-seize in both screws when you reassemble...if you think there's a good chance your gun will see saltwater again. Be careful with the small parts, as replacements are hard to come by these days!

FYI...the Wolff Benelli Super 90 recoil spring is a direct replacement for the VM recoil spring. Wolff makes these in normal, reduced power and extra power...I run an extra power spring in my VM

Wolff Springs

Good luck and hope everything disassembles and reassembles without issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remove recoil pad.
Use appropriate-size (long) allen wrench to remove the stainless stock bolt and both (lock & flat) washers
Pull off the buttstock with cast plate in place (make note of the cast plate alignment relative to the action tube plug screw)
Remove the stainless action spring tube plug screw (a 19mm socket fits the ASTPS just fine)...understanding your recoil spring is behind under tension.
Recoil spring and follower should pull right out.

Both the allen screw stock bolt and action tube spring plug screw are stainless and the action spring tube is Aluminum...that doesn't mean they haven't corroded (and frozen) with salt water incursion. If the action tube spring tube plug screw is frozen on the end of the action spring tube...there's a chance when you put that 19mm socket on it to turn it off...the action spring tube may turn off at the receiver. Not a big deal, but the follower retaining ring will come out as well...so be prepared for that.

You might consider using a anti-seize in both screws when you reassemble...if you think there's a good chance your gun will see saltwater again. Be careful with the small parts, as replacements are hard to come by these days!

FYI...the Wolff Benelli Super 90 recoil spring is a direct replacement for the VM recoil spring. Wolff makes these in normal, reduced power and extra power...I run an extra power spring in my VM

Wolff Springs

Good luck and hope everything disassembles and reassembles without issue.
Thank you! I’ll get after it tomorrow after my hunt.

My gun is 98% saltwater usage and has been for the past 3 years. I don’t dunk it every time of course, but it happens. I just noticed the rusty water pouring from the hole that spring rides in and figured it wouldn’t be a bad idea to give it a look

1 - 10 of 10 Posts