Ok. I think I've got it all;
shotgun - check
holster for shells - check
earplugs - check
eye protection - check
lots of extra ammo - check
cleaning utensils - check
misc. - check

OK. Now that I think I have everything I need to go and kill some clays how are you experience guys/girls hauling all this around? :shock: :? Tackle/tool box? Big duffle bag? lol I'm sure there are some good ideas out there I wouldn't have thought of so if you could save a guy from taking half his shooting time just getting from the truck to the range I would appreciate it. :) Thanks.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I just use a backpack. I set it up with what I need for the day ... type of ammo, vest or pouch, cleaning supplies, hat, water ... whatever I need. It's easy to carry and with the big top opening you can get to all your gear. It also isn't $80 like some of the cammo shooting bags. Heck you can pick up a green canvas backpack at FleetFarm for $15.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm a 5 gallon or 7 gallon bucket man! 8) Look the the "album" and see my bucket. Lots of room for stuff and with alid I always have a place to sit if there is a long line at a station.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
279 Posts
I only carry to the trap range what I expect to use (ears, glasses, shell bag, chokes and wrench, oil, a pair of spare shells, notebook and pen) in a canvas shoulder bag I found at an army surplus store for a few bucks. Other shotgun stuff lives in plastic ammo can.

·
Registered
28 Posts
http://www.shotgunsports.com/carts.htm

The above link will give you some suggestions as to how to haul all your gear around. My husband and I have a golf cart with gun racks that we haul all our stuff around on. However some ranges will not allow motorized carts so the website above will give you and idea as to what's available.
Hope this helps! :wink:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I found an empty tool box in my garage and cut a shoebox in half so it now fits nicely in the bottom and still lets the top tray sit flush. I fit one hundred rounds in each half of the box and my bore snake in the middle. Up top in the tray I put my oil, silicone cloth, chokes, ear plugs and glasses. I'll give this set up a try for awhile and modify/change from there. A golf cart sounds nice but a little too pricey/extravagant for me. I like the bucket idea but would want to keep everything seperated, since I'm a bit anal about my stuff, and that seems like I would end up digging around a lot. The back-pack sounds great for the sporting clays course since you have to hump around all that stuff from station to station. I'll have to look around for one I like. Thanks for all the suggestions, keep 'em coming. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Use a duffel with multiple pockets on the outside to seperate the small stuff. The bigger stuff, like ammo, goes in the main pouch.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I just carry it all in my trunk, and when it is my turn I grab a box of shells and go. I don't reload soI don't grab my hulls. If I need to clean my gun the stuff is just a few yards away in the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
For sporting clays courses, there are really only two good options for carrying your gear as far as I'm concerned. I tried carrying all my gear, ammo, accessories, etc in a range bag once or twice and, after damn near getting a hernia from the strain gave that up as a BAD idea. :lol:

Golfers figured this out a long time ago, so there is no need to reinvent the wheel. The first practical alternative for those who don't mind the walking is to carry your gun and all your gear in one of those pull carts. There are a variety of pull carts available. Most have 2 wheels, but some have 3 wheels. Some of them you push like a baby carriage. :roll: Don't laugh. They work great. It's as easy as pulling a cart with your golf bag, clubs, etc on it.

The other alternative is a riding type golf cart. Yes, I know. Some people will call you lazy for using one, but when it's about 95 degrees, dusty, sun beating down mercilessly, and you've got to not only walk about 2 miles around the course but have to carry more stuff than a pack mule, you will gladly accept a ride in a golf cart. :lol: After all, anyone can shoot better when they are rested and refreshed instead of being beet red in the face and having your tongue hanging out like your old bird dog on a hot July day.

Been there. Done that. Tried them all. I usually tote my stuff in a pull cart. That way I get the exercise of walking plus the fun of shooting. BUT, on a hot day, whenever a friend offers a ride in a golf cart, I'll gladly accept and offer to buy refreshments when the shooting is over. :wink:

G

·
I shot with a guy the other day that made his own cart. He got a jogging stroller at a garage sale for $35. He used plastic koozies lined with the cloth-type koozies attached to the foot rest for the muzzles. He used the rubber covered hooks like you use to hang bikes in your garage fastened up on the handles for the stock. He got a soft-sided cooler at K-mart or Walmart that fit perfectly in the seat to hold his ammo, etc. The stroller was dark green and he used matching koozies. I would have not noticed that it wasn't one of those expensive ones that you see in the magazines if he hadn't told me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tote around alot of stuff as I have 4 childeren who shoot and I am a 4-H instructor. The best thing I have found is a backpack with wheels. :D

G

·
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the old question, how to haul the stuff around? I have shot clays for a long time and had the same question myself when I started out, I did see alot of home brew stuff out there. I had to say the the most creative was the guy who tossed a uncased shotgun and I mean tossed it barrel down into a old golf bag, which proceded to let the barrels of a gorgeous Browning Superposed poke out the bottom as he dragged it around! Do yourself a favor, call Rugged Gear and order one of their sporting clays carts, or at least look at them online at Ruggedgear.com. These carts are really the only way to go, especially on those 200 target days, it has so much room, rolls really easily over any terrain and you can carry 2 guns as well as I do. Heck, when I take just one gun out I always wind up with someone else's gun on my cart and with them begging to push it around all day. This cart is not a cheap date, mine was $260.00, but having the understanding wife that I do, this was one of the nicest Christmas presents I have ever gotten from her (and alot cheaper than a new decked out quadrunner, lol). Have fun, I hope this helped you out some.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Boyt Sporting Clays bag. I use it for everything, not just clays. Holds absolutely everything I need, plus spares for a partner if needed.

After tons of research on gun cases, bags, pistol beds and the like, I've come to the conclusion that for soft sided products like these, Boyt CANNOT be beat for quality, construction, and general good looks - but then again they cost the most too. I own no less than six different pieces of Boyt shooting luggage, and I HIGHLY endorse any of it! Liked 'em so much that when I couldn't find the exact products I wanted locally, I purchased them over the Internet.

Check all of Boyt's bags here:

http://boytharness.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=22

Another nice thing about Boyt products is they're coordinated - same color & style of items across each product line. You can purchase directly from Boyt over the Internet and their prices are pretty good directly, but if ya look around ya can beat 'em by a few bucks at other places...

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Nortonics,

But how do you get your shotgun in that bag? :lol: Also, where are the wheels? Are they recessed? :lol: I'm just kidding of course. But seriously, if a person is going to do any sporting clays events, a pull/push cart with wheels and room for your ammo and gear is well worth the money. Golfers figured this out a long time ago with their pull carts. Shooters actually have a heavier load to carry than golfers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts