Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kansas season opened today, as well as many other states. I'm interested in how everyone did. The birds were flying here in SEK, the field I hunted was packed (gotta love public ground) but there were plenty of birds to go around. I ended short of my limit but I was under a bit of time crunch. Glad to have the season back!

Happy Shooting!
'Rilla

·
Registered
275 Posts
Opened in Central and North Zones here in Texas today, South Zone doesn't open until the 23rd. I'm heading north tomorrow to get an afternoon/evening hunt in, hoping for the best. Texas extended the season to 90 days this year.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Hunted private pasture ground for passing birds between roost and food. Decoyed them coming back from feeding and me and a buddy (his first time dove hunting) shot our limits of doves coming into decoys. Absolute blast! Rather decoy and shoot 5 birds than stand in the public fields pass shooting with everyone else, shooting limits is even better!

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
6 doves Thursday morning. Central MN has a fair number of dove around but nothing to really concentrate them. I took mine pass shooting while walking the dogs. I also shot a pair of crows while out and about as the season opened then too.

Early season goose opened today but I won't get out until Monday morning. There are plenty hitting a freshly cut alfalfa field so we should do well.

The real opener is for black bear of which I passed on one so far. I'm pretty sure it is the sow which had been hanging around until she had a cub two years ago. Between then and now I only saw her on game cameras. She is looks pretty healthy and is getting fatter off my bait. Maybe next year she will show up with twins.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I hunted Sept 1 and 2 north of Dodge City. Have done so most years of the last fifty years. Don't think I have ever seen more doves on powerlines, in fields etc., however they were not concentrated in any certain area for most part. Some spots were slow, some pretty good. I limited both days. Shot four different guns, Beretta O/U in 410, 28 and 20 gauge. And I used a Merkel SxS in 16 ga. Shot the merkel poorly but shot the Berettas well. Others in the group had mixed results, some limits some not even close.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My "opener" started at 2:30 am driving 200 miles in the rain.
The upland bird season consist of Hungarian Partridge, Grouse ( sage, sharp tail, franklin, dusky, ruft ), Dove, and turkey . Wolf starts the same time too, no wolf out where I was headed. Our Sights where on sage and sharp tail grouse.
Saturday was nice for weather high of around 75 and mostly sunny and little wind.
\ Covered a LOT of perfect sage and grass land with out so much as a shot.
This time of year is a LOOONG days hunt at 6:00 am to 8:00 pm.
I did call one set just at dark for coyote. Had one sneak in in the long shadows that just allowed me a glimpse before the darkness shut me down. DANG.
Sunday we woke to a steady drizzle and around 35* 15 mph wind, yuk.
We hit the brush and managed to push out 4 sharp tail and shot them all!
Only thing we saw. At dark, we where soaking wet and TIRED. We hung it up and drove home.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Had a pretty good day once it got settled down and the birds really started flying. Started off sort of off I don't know if it was the distractions ( more on that) or just rusty but I collected 10 birds in 28 shots but i shot probably half those getting the first two birds. There were some distractions from some late comers that set up right on top of me. Basically there was a fence line that everyone was stationed on at probabl 40 yd intervals. Had my decoy spread set up in the field about 30 yds in front of myself and the next fellow down who I sort of knew. Don't you know some guy does late and plops down right on top of my decoys. Mind you there are only 6 spread out in about a 15' circle. To make it worse he moved around a lot and would shoot at anything within 50-60 yards. Then two guys moved in on my right again close enough that I felt a little uncomfortable. One of the started yaking on his cell phone . I could hear him telling people I'm dove hunting but haven't fired a shot all day. I would see doves approaching right ove their heads that would have been shootable for me but I hated to shoot their birds. I would call out birds coming from behind you and they would either start jumping around and flair them off or let them zip by never firing a shot. Meanwhile the guy in the decoys would open up from50 yds so it was all pretty distracting. Luckily the two guys left after a couple of hours and decoy man finally heard enough shooting at the far end of the field he packed up and found someone else's decoys to set up,in. Luckily this was before the birds really started to fly about 5:00 so I got about 90 minutes of good shooting. All in all though I found it pretty distracting with so many people so close. I should have probably moved but there were quite a few shooters so I didn't want to move in on someone else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.