Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, Well, how was the gunning where everyone is at? Sept 15 was great for Grouse here in Michigan. Four flushs in two hours on Sunday afternoon!! Foliage was tight as exspected, with no major frost but, to be out with my shootgun I could care less. Dang 1100 gets heavy, was wishing I used my M37 16ga. I'll never learn.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G'amn man, must be nice, now you boys hunt in Texas right?? I remmeber the panhandle country from my Lubbock days. Or I should say I remmeber the menu, Doves in gravy on toast for breakfast. Here in Michigan we got Doves up the yang but, the DNR won't open the season on them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live in Kansas, but I'm FROM Texas. Growing up we used to hunt doves in central Texas, it was excellent. Now I don't have access to that hunting area any more. I hunting in eastern Kansas this year and I'm seeing quite a few birds. It's been great!--Wing

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sept.2 was a great day for dove hunting here in MS. I hunted that morning with my 1100 'til it fouled up and quit cycling the cheap shells, then I used my 311 SxS to finish out my limit. Between me and the guys I was sharing the field with, we bagged 312 birds in 3 hours. That ain't bad for us.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Mossberg 500Remingtong Shurshot 7 1/2'sModified chokeShot 9 out of 50 . (The last 3 birds were with 3 shots after I changed to the Improved Modified choke.)The hunting has really sucked since then. Two of the last three have resulted in zero shots. Hope them Kansas doves make it down here to central Texas real soon.Jay G.Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Jay, you really are stuck on Mossberg !! God I haven't used a Mossberg since 1973 or 4. Had a new Moss 500 12 ga. from K-Mart, I used it for acouple of years than the pay checks started to get bigger and so did my dreaming of different shotguns. Wow to be reminded of the past life. The Foxs 12 & 20, Winn M12 12 ga., Stevens dbl. 16 ga., Rem M11 12 ga., Brn'g A-5 12 ga., afew spanish O/U's, Win 1400 12 & 20 ga., Red Label 28 ga., Ithaca 37 12, 16's & 20's. But the memories of the ol'Moss'y 500, first double on Pheasants and the first double on Grouse and the first double on Rabbits and the first double on Mallards, was with that dang thing. As I got my pet degree with education, my carving for shotguns went with it. Higher and Higher. Some times I wish I could go back to the simplier days when gunning was more fun and not show and tell. Have a good one ol'boy. Shells

·
Registered
70 Posts
"Some times I wish I could go back to the simplier days when gunning was more fun and not show and tell"believe me, if you go through as much red-tape, paperwork, licensing fees and rising prices on newer models, you'd better believe it's a show and tell lol, but i hear ya though, the simple days are gone and we are a dying breed, those of us considered the "pepsi" generation have fewer enthusiests in our midst than ever before, making it harder for the rest of us to gain support for our activities

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Faith brother, got to have faith. I found people have a time hiding the fact they are hunters. Like some kind of secret double life they lead. These same people belong to the NRA, shooting clubs and hell I can't tell them apart at work. My own golf partner, that I've played golf with for 6 years, in the fall he'd go one way, me the other, last fall I called his wife to see why he wasn't playing golf that weekend, she tells me he's out bird hunting. Crap, I'm still in brush pants from the morning hunt when I called. Now he's my hunting partner too. I believe there is just as many hunters now or even more than the good ol'days. They just don't say it out loud or show it. Back in the 50's when I was a yonker, guys come home from the fields and display their birds for the neighborhood to see and drool over. My ol'man, it was his M12 and a brace of Pheasants, next door, Auto5 and afew birds. Etc,etc, down the block. This was a typical sat. evening event in the fall. Now I pluck my birds in the basement, with the curtains drawn tight. I don't want to be the victim of some hate crime by some over hormoned crazy woman down the block that can't believe her steak started on four hooves. Shells

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Hey Howie,Yep, the 'ol Mossberg has been pretty decent so far and thanks for the encouragement. I know what you mean about the stigma surrounding hunters. Surprising since the number of registered hunters in the U.S. is huge. Around 6 million I think. We're seeing 'flocks' of doves now, so they must be migrating in or out. Went 2 for three today...think I'll leave my Improved Modified choke in. Hit one of 'em and then stepped off 54 steps from me to him. Typical range this time of year...for the fields I'm on anyway.Anybody else still shooting birds or am I the only die hard?thanks,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com

·
Registered
70 Posts
only 6 million? it may seem like a lot guys but considering your countries population (300 million?) that's only 2% of the population are hunters, that's a suprising statistic considering there are 2 million canadian hunters in a population of only 30 million

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
It seems that I was off a bit. Here are the facts from the NRA site at www.nra.org/frame.cfm?tit...nraila.orgHunting stimulates the economy by contributing $30 billion to the economy each year, supporting 986,000 jobs.Hunting is an important and traditional recreational activity in which 14,000,000 Americans 16 years old and older participate. 4 out of 10 Americans (42%) describe themselves as either avid or occasional hunters--up 7 points from 1999. 60-65 million gun owners, 30-35 million of whom own handguns. According to survey research, at least 45% of American households own firearms.Hunters and fishermen fund nearly 75% of the annual income for all 50 state conservation agencies. More than $20 billion have been contributed by hunters and fishermen for wildlife conservation. Shotgunworld.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.