Votes: 115 31.9%
  • 70-80

Votes: 82 22.7%
  • 80+

Votes: 20 5.5%
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

· Registered
23,910 Posts
Not in the oldest group, but getting up there, 68 YO.

cdb

· Registered
2,853 Posts
What, no one in the 80+ category yet? That leaves out half of the guys at my gun club.

Jim

· Registered
4,333 Posts
What, no one in the 80+ category yet? That leaves out half of the guys at my gun club.

Jim
I'll be there in May of this year. STILL - going as hard as I can for as long as I can. 😁

· Registered
750 Posts
A lot of this poll reveals the nature of discussion forums rather than the topic being discussed. A lot of us migrated to forums when “Usenet” news groups died off. 🙂 The young kids are on Reddit and social media groups.

· Registered
4,333 Posts

· Registered
2,172 Posts
So as I type this, over 61% of respondents are over 60 years old. I wonder how much the following affects this number:

• Being retired and/or no kids in the house (more time to shoot and read about shooting)
  • Having more disposable income than those younger than 60 (can afford to shoot more)

· Registered
207 Posts
So as I type this, over 61% of respondents are over 60 years old. I wonder how much the following affects this number:
  • Being retired and/or no kids in the house (more time to shoot and read about shooting)
  • Having more disposable income than those younger than 60 (can afford to shoot more)
Last year, I was at LA Clays and was talking to Kim Rhode's dad. I said that I wished I had started this clay shooting stuff when I was younger. He talked about the costs and time that most people can't afford when they are raising kids and that once those responsibilities are finished, time and money come together. That was definitely my situation.

· Registered
90 Posts
I agree with the observations about income and time required. But I think there's also something to be said for recruitment.
As someone who didn't grow up in a hunting/shooting family, i found it hard to "get in." I met some very nice people eventually, but on the whole it isn't the most welcoming community--and I even fit the profile (43, white, male, rural upbringing, beer gut). I can't imagine what it must be like for the urban black kid who wants to start duck hunting. I wasn't EXCLUDED, but there is a definite sense of old boys club.
I learned almost all I know about hunting and reloading from a handful of generous souls who didn't mind taking the time to share their experience and knowledge, and didn't shame the stupid question. Unfortunately, a lot of then are now dead.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts