Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my own shotshell reloader, I've used dad's for many years till I moved out and got married, silly me. I'll load primarily for hunting with the occasional trap shoot in there, but not registered shoot (yet anyway :) I was looking at the cost of the Lee Load All II as a nice benefit, but is it throwing away $40 that could go to a single-stage MEC? Dad's is a single-stage MEC, older than the hills, if it's a 600 jr. then it never had the black shell guides on the base, although the grooves worn in it are just as good! I could crank out 5 boxes/hour on that one if I worked at it, 3 if I took my sweet old time. Anyway, should I get a Lee Load All II or stick with a good used MEC, dad's is living proof that they won't wear out and can be repaired if needed, and I like the solid steel construction. I think I know the answer, but I've never used a Lee, I just want to know if they are a good value or not. Oh yeah, is the Lee Load All II single stage or progressive? If it's single-stage I'll definitely go with the MEC. What's the difference between the 650, 600 jr. and the Sizemaster?Selmer

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a Load all II with the optional primer feeder. I reloaed enough shells with it to make back its cost, but its getting worn. What happened to mine is, since pulling down on the handle also exerts force on the press in a forward direction (toward you), the top assembly tends to loosen from the base, and eventually gets loose enough to cause problems. In my case, its the final crimp station. When you pull the handle down, the top moves toward you, and you end up bending the shell slightly, which can cause it to buckle. I still use it to deprime/resise/and reprime, since I have the primer feeder for it, but then I move to my MEC 600Jr to finish reloading..I think my MEC is worth every penny I paid for it. All you ever wanted to know about mec reloaders here..www.mecreloaders.com/

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too had a loadall II--it is a single stage press. Agree with the above poster--mine wore about the same--okay for casual use only. My oldest Mec 600 is about 40 y/o--still has good parts availability. Get the Mec! Chuck

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
you can probably get a mec sizemaster off of ebay for $50 to $75 and it wiil be a lot better press than the lee.I bought mine off ebay and have loaded about 40 boxes without any problems. sj :lol

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I bought a 16 ga Lee Load-All. Loaded about 3 boxes of shells, and threw that POS in the corner. It stayed there about 5 years before I sold it.

If you can afford a used MEC, get it. If you can't, save your money until you can.

By the way, POS does NOT mean "Pride of Spain".

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have a older 12 ga Lee and also a 20 ga lee press,the 12 ga works fine,the 20 does not.I have also had a Mec 600 jr in 12 ga,it worked better than either of them.Get the Mec,its worth the extra $.Its just a better machine.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
That Load-All is such flimsy junk Lee should be embarrassed to make it, let alone sell it.

eBay is always LOADED with a huge variety of MEC loaders -- especially 600 Jrs. -- and you're almost guaranteed to find a good deal within a couple of weeks.

Except for a very few readily and cheaply replaceable parts, a MEC never wears out and I've seen 600 Jrs. in good condition go for less than $50, including shipping.

It's a no-brainer -- get a MEC off eBay.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
selmer
i have a mec 9000g with over 500,000 rounds through it, and it has taken about $40 in parts. for a single stage, get the sizemaster. it assures that all of your ammo, regardless of where you got the brass, will fit and fire in your gun. for a progressive, get the 9000g. these are two of the best presses in the industry for the money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.