Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://zupload.com/download.php?file=ge ... epath=5005

Above is a link to our custom HPI recoil system flyer. I will put a link below to our Price sheet. These recoil devices operate in the same manner of a soft touch system except the front of the comb cannot extend beyond the original comb position and interfere with the thumb or upper palm. It has 3/4" of recoil into the stock and a 4-way adjustable comb that moves with the recoil. It operates with a spring-actuated piston and has a set compression based on the spring pressure. Using a different spring inside the piston cage can change the compression. The standard spring in this system works very well with what we consider a 16 yd load (AA, 18.2 clays, 1 oz) up to the AA super handicap. When you start getting in to the game loads that some shoot it may on occasion bottom out, but will also take a lot of the recoil out of those loads. One customer wanted a second heavier spring piston for his KX5 and returned it a month later as he found it wasn't necessary. This system allows the gun to recoil back while the comb stays in position with your cheek. The comb has a total of 3/4" cast adjustment (side to side) and unlimited height adjustment depending on the posts ordered with it. Some stock owners wanted new butt pads and others wanted to keep the existing pad. We do highly recommend that you purchase a new butt pad so to allow us to keep the lower line of the stock the same. All have been cut to keep same LOP. Price for the hardware and custom fit installation to a stock is $295.00. Polishing was $55 extra. All stocks have met the ten-day turnaround or less from the time that we receive it and have it ready to ship out. If you are interested in the HPI recoil system installed on to your stock please email us with your questions or for a more detail price sheet with optional accessories.

Thanks, Scott

http://zupload.com/download.php?file=ge ... epath=5006

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
TexasTon said:
Do you have a unit without the adjustable comb...
TT, It seems that all of these types of recoil absorbing stocks come with an adjustable comb. Remember, you can't have the stock compressing by 3/4" (or more) without having your face go with it :lol: , so the comb needs to move too. The best thing to do is get the comb set and lock-tite it in place, or if you have a conventional stock that's perfect for you, and hate the idea of an adjustable comb, go with something like the JS system...

http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/js_a ... stocks.htm

I've been shooting a JS stock for over 15 years, but it's price today is $1195. This $295 HPI thing seems like a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
SS, I'm not sure what "these" means, I am familiar with CounterCoil and Isis, neither of those have AC's on them but they require too much room inside the stock. It appears from the drawing the needed 6" is for the AC, maybe not?

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
TT, I wasn't aware of either of those you mentioned. You're right of course, only the butt portion moves, not the comb. Since I've never shot one, I can't comment with authority, but it's hard to believe it's as comfortable, or works as well as one where the comb moves with the recoil device as one unit.

This is one of "those" I was refering to...

http://www.shockmaster.com/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bryan,

The HPI does not have an adjustable LOP. You start with the shortest LOP you would need and add butt pad spacers to lengthen LOP. Some customers have added spacers in between the aluminum plate the butt pad is secured too and the horizontal 3\4" aluminum bar. Thanks for the question Bryan!

Scott

TT,

You don't have to have the adj. comb but it is part of the system. If someone wanted stationary posts on the top slide plate, we could do that for them. The comb can not be locked in place as you need to remove the comb to have access to the shoulder screw that allows access to the stock bolt. The reason the 6" clearence is needed before installation is because we have to cut 1 1\8" off of the stock and the 1" diameter spring piston is 4" long that sets inside the stock. Hope this helps a little.

Scott

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Scott, I have a Winchester 101 Pigeon w/sub-gauge skeet tubes. This gun is only a "tube holder" and never shot as a 12 gauge. I have approximately 8 oz. of lead shot in the stock hole for balance. I assume that after installation of your unit, there would be no room for this. How does your unit affect balance?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ShootingStar,

The recoil system adds aproximately 11-13 oz. to the wieght of the stock. There would not be room for much else to be inserted inside the stock after installation.

Take care,
Scott

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
SS, I shot an O/U for 7 years with a CounterCoil, didn't bother me a bit that the comb didn't move with it. Though it was a concern before I put it on, first box of shells that problem became a distant memory.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
After exchanging e-mail's with Scott Hyde of HPI, I'm going to have his recoil/adjustable comb system installed on the stock of my Winchester 101 Pigeon tube set. He seemed to answer all my questions honestly, and his sounds like good system at a fair price. I'll hopefully be posting a "review" in a few weeks. :wink:

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
TexasTon said:
Are you sure you can afford it, I mean, you will have so much in it by that time you can never come out :wink: :lol: :lol:
I gotta do what I gotta do to get the K-80 back out of the hands of my son. :lol:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a trap gun I want to add a recoil system on but 12-13 oz of additional weight seems like a lot and have a concern as to whether it would make the gun barrel light. That much additional weight alone should cut down on recoil quite a bit. I'm not clear about the adjustable comb. If my gun already has an adjustable comb does that affect the installation? Are you still able to make the same kind of adjustments on the comb?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The adj. comb hardware weight you already have would be deleted with this system installed in its place which there would not be an additional 13-14 oz. added on to what you have. The adj. comb used with this system is a 4-way and is part of the recoil system and can not be seperate. I have not heard of any negative comments concerning the weight in the butt stocks creating a light front end problem. The only problem having an adj. comb prior to an HPI installation is the lower rear piece of wood left over after cutting the butt stock off about an 1 1\8" can either be glued back on to the comb or left out if it is very small. It all depends on the individual stock itself. I hope I was able to clear some things up for you.

Take care,
Scott

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
As promised...

Got it back this afternoon, had it mounted on the receiver in less than 15 minutes, and I was off to the gun club. Installing or removing the stock is actually easier than before, since the recoil pad never has to be removed to access the stock bolt. Just remove the 2 comb set screws and a single allen top bolt, then slide out the recoil unit and presto, there's the stock bolt! I must say that Scott's workmanship is first rate, and all the hardware is of excellent quality.

I'm not new to recoil absorbing stocks, and have been shooting the same JS unit on my primary skeet gun for over 14 years. The JS is a very reliable unit, and mine has never needed service of any kind. One thing that appealed to me about Scott's unit (besides the cost :wink: ), is that it's capable of more travel than many others. His can compress up to 3/4", while many others advertise only 5/16" of travel. My JS stock can compress even more, well over 1" depending on how hard or soft you make it by adding or bleeding air. However, mine is normally pumped up to around 120 psi, and probably never gets close to full comperession. I suspect that Scott's HPI unit doesn't either, and while it's very effective at absorbing recoil, it certainly never bottomed out today.

Speaking of today, I shot 6 rounds of mostly 20 ga., some 28 ga., and even while messing with the height of the adjustable comb 3-4 times, shot a decent 148x150. Shooting this gun is sooooo much more comfortable now.

Some will say they're all ugly, and I wouldn't disagree. But if you're a high volume clay target shooter, you can never get rid of too much recoil. Shoot a gun equipped with any of these things for any length of time, and you'll simply have to have one.

Bottom line... The JS unit is an excellent recoil absorbing stock, and at $1200 it should be. Scott's HPI unit is even simpler, and I suspect at least every bit as durable. It's an excellent product, professionally installed, and at $295, is offered at what I can only conclude is a very fair price. For many, the adjustable comb will only be icing on the cake.

I had this one made for a Winchester 101 Pigeon/sub-gauge tube set that I only paid $900 for, but I wouldn't hesitate to put one on a $10,000 K-gun.

Here's a couple of pics...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.