Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if all the "new" Winchester hulls carry the HS stamp. I have some sliver-colored AA hulls that are not too old but have no such marking. Can I safely assume they are the old-style AA's. Thanks. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
NO! They don't all have HS on them. I've never seen a 12 ga with that on them! If indeed your shells are "silver", not a dark grey, they are indeed old style. Look in them, see if you can see a so called "lip" down there or take a screwdriver or awl and slide it down the inside of the hull. If it goes all the way down without any catching or hangup, it is without the seperate base wad or of old style compression formed design. Once you know what you are looking for, it can be clearly seen which is which. The new style hulls are slicker and shinyer than the old Compression formed hulls too.

BP

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BP. Mine are silver and upon close inspection turn out to be the old style. I bought a case (250) of them a few years ago--can't remember exactly how long though. I don't shoot many clays, but in the summer when my sister from PA visits, my brother-in-law and nephew do their best to fire every loaded shell I have.I have an old thrower I set up in the pasture. I don't let them into my hunting fodder, but when they're gone, so is just about every 12, 20, 28, and 410 shell that I haven't hidden away. Thought I'd get the jump on this summer and start loading now. The 7/8oz loads guys have been talking about are looking pretty good. I'll have to buy some new powder though. I don't mind--I've made two new shooters. If they make two new shooters, and those two make two new shooters.... Good hunting and good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts