Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody using hs6 in 28 ga? having buyers remorse. 1st timer.

looking @ 18 grs
win 209
WAA28hs wad
3/4 oz
AAHS hull

longshot was my 1st choice but wasn't avail.
i'll try to exchange wad for cb5034 (not avail).
any recommendations. :?:

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
slowpull said:
anybody using hs6 in 28 ga? having buyers remorse. 1st timer.

looking @ 18 grs
win 209
WAA28hs wad
3/4 oz
AAHS hull

longshot was my 1st choice but wasn't avail.
i'll try to exchange wad for cb5034 (not avail).
any recommendations. :?:
The best powder for the 28 is either Longshot or Universal. My favorite is Universal. The AA HS wad will work just fine, I wouldn't exchange them, just use them up.

My favorite wad is the Red Duster in the 28 ga. An no, you don't have to use the HS wad in the HS hull like Winchester says.

The best an cheapest place to buy wads is Recob Targets. You can also buy powder there, just have to pay the hazmat fee to ship.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
slowpull,

HS-6 is a very good powder for the 28 gauge but you are limited to 1200 FPS in published loads. I know a 28 Gauge World Champion that won't use anything else in his reloads. I have shot thousands of reloads using HS-6 and the targets break quite nicely.

I have not used it with the AAHS hull but it should work fine. The only issue may be how 18 grains of HS-6 fits in the AAHS hull using 3/4 oz of lead and the WAA28HS wad. You may get slightly bulging crimps.

My experience, and that of some shooting buddies, is that the Remington PT-28 wad is the best wad for the AAHS hull. It fits well and offers a lot of room for powder and shot. The Red Duster base has too small a diameter to seal well when you have reloaded the AAHS hull a bunch of times.

May favorite powder for the 28 gauge is Longshot. Universal works as well but, like HS-6, limits your choices in velocity.

Scott

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Scott is exactly correct in his assesment of the HS hull, powder charges and wads. Typicaly I find that any load you can shoot in or find for the old AA hull with the addition of about 1 to 1-1/2 grain of powder and a wad that will allow all of the components to fit and crimp acceptably will work fine. I don't like to use the wads designed for the old AA hulls in HS hulls, but Remington PT28, and Federal as well as Winchester and Claybuster clones work well. Yes you CAN use Dusters, Claybusters, PC, etc, etc, but they don't work as well as the correct wad! Personaly I prefer Longshot in the AAHS, but I've just bought a jug of Universal and I'm going to give it another try in the HS with the PT28 wad. HS-6 is good powder IF you can get it to all fit, BUT I've NOT tried it myself.

BP

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm using 17.2 grs. of HS-6 in AA HS hulls with the ClayBuster red wad and it produces a nice load. 18 grains is too much. Drop down a bushing and see if that doesn't help.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx for the recs.

i saw the cb wads on recobs ($7/500) my supplier will order but i doubt i'll get that price. how muck is shipping on 2K usually?

rem: have you chrono'd those @17.2 grs? i was planning on dropping light charges. i'm assuming this will always drop psi?

i'm really trying to do this as cheap as poss cause i have 25 flats of federal 12 @ $25 per i'm trying to justify not shooting.

i'll try longshot after the hs6.

can't wait to get started.
thx

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a lot of trouble using the Win wads for the WAAHS hulls but once I worked through that supply and switched to the CB 5034 (red) in the WAAHS hulls every thing has gone a lot smoother. I also prefer the Longshot powder as had been recommended by a number of the experts on here. I started with the HS6 as well.

I am getting a lot more use out of the WAAHS hulls but have found that the STS hulls are easier to load using the same powder and shot loads as I did with the WAAHS. For the STS hulls I use the CB-1034 (pink) wads. The STS hulls make a nicer crimp in my view but start developing cracks much sooner that the WAAHS.

I know there are many different opinions on the WAAHS wads but I think they are crap and the CBs have worked better for me. Maybe after I have reloaded as many as the pros on here I will be able to master them but for now I am sticking with the CBs.

Good luck and keep at it,as it only gets easier. The best part is the more you reload the more you can shoot!!

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
slowpull said:
i saw the cb wads on recobs ($7/500) my supplier will order but i doubt i'll get that price. how muck is shipping on 2K usually?
I assume you're referring to the CB5034-28HS, Claybuster's clone specifically for the AA-HS hull and $69.95 from Recob's.

Don't order off the website. Call Recob's toll-free number and talk to Bill, Jeff or Steve. Steve handles the shipping.

If you ask them to they'll make every effort to repack two cases into a larger box and the total shipping shouldn't be more than about $15.

And that can be easily done with the smaller 28 gauge wads.

I use those wads and they're excellent -- and even with a price increase still much cheaper than Winchesters and Remingtons.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks. again.

case: yeah i meant cb5034-28 hs
i'll talk my guy down on price after i send him a couple customers with big orders.

for the price of the win wads, i've actually considered picking them up. shouldn't be too hard to spot those red things. dont need to but its like walking past a penny. i wouldnt bend down for one but 200 is another story. :wink:

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
The Remington PT-28 is a much better wad than the Claybuster CB5034-28HS for the AA HS hull. It gives you more powder choices and allows nice crimps without excessive wad pressure.

You can get the PT-28 for $76.50 per 5000 from Larry's in Idaho. Here is the URL:

http://www.larryssg.com/

Heck, I would even spend the extra $11 to get the PT-28 from Recob's versus buying the Claybuster wad. I would take the 6 cent hit per box of reloads.

Scott

·
Registered
649 Posts
slowpull said:
rem: have you chrono'd those @17.2 grs?
No, I don't own a chrono. I have no problems with them breaking birds. Several others that I shoot with also use the same load. 18 grs. is the max (from Hodgdon) and was wrinkling the case. 17.2 doesn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.