Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I'd like to say this is a wonderful forum. I just found it yesterday.

I've been reloading for a few years now, and still don't have a good way to identify hulls. I have a few boxes of used hulls that I'd like to reload but I don't know if it is safe to use recipes for one type of Federal hull, on another type of Federal hull.

For example, Hodgdon lists bunches of recipes for Federal Gold Medal hulls. I do not know what a gold medal hull looks like. I have plenty of federal hulls, but have not used them for fear of messing something up. Anyone have a good source for identifying hulls?

G

·
The Lyman Shotgun loading manual has cut away photo's to help ID hulls. BUT with the large amount of shells coming in from Europ, it could be very hard to seperate accuratly. Stick with the tried and true Major brands. V/R TonyG :D

G

·
Also, the Gold Metal hull will have no seperate base wad. There is a fiber (paper) base wad in the others. This is assuming, of course, you are refering to 12ga, 2 3/4, plastic hulls. There are two types of hulls with the paper base wad. On one the primer sticks up by about 1/8. The other is very similar to the Gold Medal. With this one, the primer protrudes above the base wad only slightly, if at all. You may have to cut one in half in order to tell.
According to Alliant, you can substitute the two hulls for all of their lead loads. Not the hull where the primer sticks up 1/8. I have done this for a long time and have had no ill results. However, no testing has been done, by Alliant, with the substitute hull for steel loads.

G

·
Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to cut one in half. They are burgundy 2 3/4 shells, the only thing on the headstamp is "Federal 12 Gauge".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts