Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I picked up my hulls when I went dove hunting recently. Some of them landed in water so I separated them from the rest. I was using Federal hunting loads with a paper basewad. My question is are the hulls that got wet safe to reload/did the paper basewad ruin because of water contact? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
545 Posts
bikeryoda said:
Ok, I picked up my hulls when I went dove hunting recently. Some of them landed in water so I separated them from the rest. I was using Federal hunting loads with a paper basewad. My question is are the hulls that got wet safe to reload/did the paper basewad ruin because of water contact? Thanks for any help!
Toss them and don't look back. The Hull is of questionable reloading value, IMHO, without being wet.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
dugout said:
bikeryoda said:
Toss them and don't look back. The Hull is of questionable reloading value, IMHO, without being wet.
What he said!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
For what it's worth, the old dudes that pick up the hulls at my skeet club take the hulls, put them in an old pillow case, tie it up tight, and straight in the clothes dryer. They all swear it works.

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS. Just passing along the information. Not sure my wife would like the smell of burned powder on her clothes, even though I would love it! ( come on now, you know you guys sniff those freshly shot hulls at the range, especially those that use Clays! Who needs drugs when you can snort that! :shock: )

I did take 10 totally soaked hulls, put them out in the sun, upright on a hot summer day & could find no moisture at all. I marked them, loaded them up & had no problem.

Would I do it again? Just on AA or STS hulls. I still use the old Remington hulls that people give me from their wally world stock. To be honest, they load just as good and last longer than the high dollar hulls.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
bikeryoda

I took some paper base wad hulls and soaked them on purpose just to see the results. After drying the first time the paper base wad had grown in height above the primer pocket. It would be difficult to get all the componets into the hull with a good crimp as the normal space is no longer available. After the second soaking/drying the base wad had grown even taller. I then cut the hull down to the metal base and couldn't pry the base wad out of the metal wet or dry.

My conclusion was it's not a matter of the paper base wad becoming lodged in the barrel, rather a matter of it growing internally so reloading would be difficult as each hull would have a different internal volume. This experment was done using the Federal promo Wally World value pack ammo.

Another finding was the same powder, shot weight, primer and correct wad per hull was much dirtier with residue left in the bore using the Federal promo hull rather than a compression formed hull of any brand or quality. A CF wad of any brand must have a better gas seal for complete burn of the powder. Trashed all the Federal promo hulls, and have found the promo Remington hull just as nice for reloading as the STS & Nitro 27's.

TM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.