Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Saturdays, especially opening day, are terrible on the State WMAs. You couldn't pay me to hunt there then.

The week days are usually fine, according to which WMA you choose to hunt.

From past experience, I would consider the Black River, Morris County, WMA a good spot to stay away from during the week this early into the season.

Too many guys to close to the area who want to "hunt" a couple of hours before they have to go to work. They go thru the area like Patton charging thru Europe with the shooting being about the same! :lol:

·
Registered
718 Posts
RealtorKen,

We're hoping the same thing for Monday morning. We're going to head out about 7:30 which will put us to our destination about 8:30. We'll give it a try for a couple of hours.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
TJC said:
RealtorKen,

We're hoping the same thing for Monday morning. We're going to head out about 7:30 which will put us to our destination about 8:30. We'll give it a try for a couple of hours.

Good luck.
Best of luck to you too!

Let us know how you did, I will do the same! I am going to meet my friend in Lebanon at like 8am, which would have us starting out at around the same time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well, we scored two hens and a rooster in about 2 1/2 hrs. at the Flatbrook this morning. Not too bad for left overs. :D

Small birds and a little too warm though for my liking.

The ticks are out in FULL force. :shock:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Back up to Flatbrook today. Got 2 birds, lost 1. Argh!!
Had 8 birds in one field which turned into a flush fest with the dogs.
We should have had 4 birds in about 20 minutes.

It was a good day, should have been better and could have been much worse.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have to be a tad more critical about today than TJC was.

There were a few more hunters than I like and it seemed that a few liked going against the grain so to speak. There were a couple of times that I was a little concerned about where a shot might come from.

TJC and I along with his two dogs began a stroll down a narrow field when along comes a "sprinter" head on in our direction.

Not only a "sprinter" but a friggin' ground shooter! He took two shots at a bird and it looked to me like the bird was less than 5 yds. away from him in a hedge row! It did not appear that he thought of or cared who or what might be on the other side. :roll:

A lot of shots fired today. Seems like the semi-auto hunters found it necessary to fire three rounds each time and as quickly as they could each they saw a bird!!!

I sincerely hope that Thursday is a better day.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Don't kill too many around flatbrook. I'm going to my cousins for thanksgiving and was hopeing to get a couple with the 22 from under her birdfeeder. :wink: I know it's not sporting. :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
brookie said:
Don't kill too many around flatbrook. I'm going to my cousins for thanksgiving and was hopeing to get a couple with the 22 from under her birdfeeder. :wink: I know it's not sporting. :D
Not even legal :!:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
you all are nuts for even going into the field in nj. I went by witingham on thurs to get coffee. you couldn't even get another truck in the parking lot. the fields were solid orange. one trip to my parents and i realize why i move to ny. sounded like WWIII all morning. up here you are lucky to even see someone. boy you got to like upstate ny. :lol: no offence but i'll take grouse and solitude over that. i feel for you guys.

·
Registered
376 Posts
brookie said:
you all are nuts for even going into the field in nj. I went by witingham on thurs to get coffee. you couldn't even get another truck in the parking lot. the fields were solid orange. one trip to my parents and i realize why i move to ny. sounded like WWIII all morning. up here you are lucky to even see someone. boy you got to like upstate ny. :lol: no offence but i'll take grouse and solitude over that. i feel for you guys.
Yea,I hate to admit it but, I'm beginning to wonder if I want to finish the year out on the WMAs after the last couple of times at the Flatbrook area.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.