Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes....

Long story short. I'm 37. Took the Hunter Safety Course when I was much much younger, say 10. But I didn't get to take the test so no card. This year I finally got into a class, took the test and got the card.

The thing that struck me was just how young some of the kids in the class were. They all seemed to be able to parrot back the teachings. But I wondered if they really understood. I know I learned alot during the class.

The gentlemen teaching my class were pretty good and stressed that since starting the classes in KS 30 years ago that hunting related accidents had dropped to only 16 last year in KS. Given all the people that go hunting and considering the tools of the trade I think thats a pretty good number. But there were still 16. Including one fatality.

After taking the test it came to me. Why is it a one time only test? You have to provide a hunter safety card to get your license. Why isn't there an expiration date on the card? Say 10-15 years. I think a required refresher course could help to further reduced the numbers of hunting/shooting related accidents and provide further proof to the anti's that we hunters/shooters take safety very seriously.

What's your opinion?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I don't think it would hurt any of us to revisit the safety issues.

If you're like me it's been a long time and it's a subject that can never be studied enough.

If we really wanted to do some good we adult hunters would all become certified Hunters Safety Instructors and learn while we teach.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good idea. But not everyone will have the time to dedicate to that. I truly appreciate those that do.

I think just a 4-5 hour refresher course and a retake of the test would be good.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Having taught hunter safety since 1984 I find this a great post and think it's in the right forum. It's always a great idea to have a refresher course, remember we're getting old and start taking shortcuts plus we forget things we've learned. I always stop the parents (mom) when they drop off their child and ask them to stay for the course or the firearm section. I tell them this is the most important part for parents with firearms in the home. I not only tell about firearm safety and storeage but give them ideas for birthday and CHRISTmas presents, cable locks, lockable case's and the such. OK Mom and Dad CHRISTmas is getting close. Here's some good reasons for a refresher course, I'll give some data from my state:

Median age of shooter in shooter/victim hunting incidents for the 02/03 season is 32. Percentage of incidents that were shooter/victim is 43%

Median age of victim in tree stand hunting incidents for the 02/03 season is 48. Percentage of incidents that were tree stand incidents is 44%.

All total there were 54 incidents: 4 Fatalities(2 tree stand,2 shooting), 23 involving shooter, 7 self infilicted, 24 tree stand.

Remember SAFETY FIRST, SAFETY ALWAYS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've posted this across several forums had have received varying responses on the subject.

I'm starting to lean towards another alternative. Make the purchaser of the license pass the test, actually a harder one, when they buy the license after their card is say 10 years old.

·
Registered
261 Posts
:? I hunt on Fort Knox from time to time and there you must have a hunter safety card if you are under 60. Guess they figure that over 60 you are too old and harmless to do anything stupid. I think it should be required for ALL regardless of age. One year I saw an older gent load his gun at the road and walk about twenty steps into the woods. A game warden saw him standing there and stopped on the road and called out to him and told him he had to be 100 meters off the road to hunt or have a loaded weapon. The old guy said OK, unloaded his gun, went ot his car and left. Some will not follow the rules regardless. I'm 62 and I would take the course again. I enjoyed it. I took both my young'uns and was invited to stay so when they gave the test, they let me take it too. I aced it. My oldest missed one and the youngest made it by one. They enjoyed it and really liked the final day when they got to go to the range and fire a shotgun, a .22 and a Bow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.