Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the newest Texas parks and wildlife booklet it says anyone born on or after september 2, 1971 must take a hunters safety course or something like that. I thought if you were old enough to get a real combo license you didn't have to take this course. I am 19 and already have my license. I have hunted quite a few times before and have never taken this course. How do they even know I haven't taken it if they already gave me my license?

G

·
ok dude if the game warrden checks you he will ask for you course certificte if you dont have it $250.00 fine just take the cource it ant woth it

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
noob,
take the course, it doesn't hurt I promise. The law is the law and it is our duty to obey it.

If you go to the TPWD website there is a listing of classes for the next year and what city they will be held in. If you can't find it let me know and I will send you the link.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoa...I think ya'll misunderstood me...I don't mind taking the course...I just want to make sure I have to. I was making sure it was the law. Now that i know it is :) i'll sign up asap...

·
Registered
261 Posts
You should take it even if it is not the law. These courses are designed to help you become a better hunter and better person. Go ahead. It wont hurt a bit. You will enjoy it. 8)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol...I don't know about the enjoying it part...but I believe you that it will make me a safer hunter...It just sux that I find out I have to take this course after I have already started classes in College and have started my new job...no time :( I will have to fit it in before dove season starts though!! (dove opens Sep 22 here)

·
Registered
222 Posts
YES you have to take it, Texas law states Under 12 you must be with a licensed hunter 18 years old. 12-17 you must either have the course or be with licenesed hunter at least 18. And if you are 17 or older and born after 1971 then you must have the course to hunt period, no if's and's or but's. The reason for the 1971 is because all us old folks are grandfathered since we already had licenses when the passed the law and most of us could teach the safety course. :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took it when I was 16 when they first passed that law.... what a joke, my father taught me more than that course did. They may very well have improved it over the years, but at the time it was more of a waste of time than anything ~ of course if you didn't have a big background with guns/hunting, it would beneficial...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts