Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what kind of dogs other people use for hunting. I personally am partial to the Golden Retriever. Not only are they good at hunting, but they are good with kids too. "Goldens, great friends, better hunters"

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
My hunting partner has a Chessie, who has never met a stranger and is easily handled by anyone that will show her a duck or goose. He was a little lax in his obedience training early on and the dog could be difficult to handle. She knew that once out of ear shot she could get away with whatever...with the addition of a training collar and very limited use she handles like she should.I am working on an orphaned black Lab that shows a lot of drive and seems to be able to understand my poor attempts at instruction. Brought him back some practice birds and this afternoon he gets his first look/taste of a snowgoose. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was having this particular discussion with some friends of mine at work. They all had different opinions everything from retrievers to blood hounds, but then I had this woman come in and she decided that she needed to say that I was a bad mother having a big dog around my small children. Cause don't you know, my retriever could turn at any minute and eat one of the whole or something. I wanted to smack her. First of all, unless it is a stranger trying to get in my house, my dog is nothing but mush. Especially when it comes to my kids... *frustrated sigh*Sorry ppl... I just needed to vent a bit. "Goldens, great friends, better hunters"

·
Registered
263 Posts
Don't feel bad just the other day, i was walkin cisco, my lab, and this little kid wanted to pet him, and his mother said no he might bite you he's too big to be nice. Talk about discrimanation against dogs. Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Some people have had bad experiences with dogs and they seem to hold that against them all. I never 100% trust any dog, they are still critters and for what ever reason they could show that side. I have been around dogs all my life and would as soon do without a hand as not have one around. In public situations I try to shield the dog from little ones. Their over zealous antics can be misinterpreted by the pooch and the natural reaction is to snap.I brought back some birds for my pooch to play with and I dont think I have seen a kid act any happier at Christmas as when I opened the cooler. He dove head first into the pile and came up with a drake mallard. There were teal, snow geese, widgeon, shovelers, and even hen mallards in there and he picks a greenhead. That's my boy!! There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am glad the choice your dog made was able to make you happy. As for how Aspen is when I take her out in public,she guards the truck great! And I took her into the Wal-Mart in my home town once under the pretense that she was a seeing eye dog in training...... It was summer and I didn't want her to over heat don't ya know... hehehe. I did have a few parents take their kids in the other direction, but for the most part it was an interesting experience. Not one that I will be repeating mind you, but interesting none the less. "Goldens, great friends, better hunters"

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you are training a dog, it is all fine and good to take them into stores and stuff. They need to get practice for when they actually have to go to stores with their blind owner. :) I learned this working at Wal-Mart of all places LOL "Goldens, great friends, better hunters"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.