Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need information on pros and cons on hunting to show it to my wife or otherwis e I don't get to go[/b]

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
No way. You have to justify it to your better half. :( Man that has got to suck because you know we never win an arguement.

Pro's Insites great friendships and life time memories. It's greart for your heart and health. Nothing like walking in the outdoors to shed a few pounds. The rush is better then any drug known to man or beast. It's your heritage and it has been passed down for generations. Will make you respect wildlife in a different manner. Nothing tastes better then something you have harvested yourself be it bird or bean. It's time well spent and cheaper then golf. :p More people get killed trying to cross the street each year then get killed in hunting accidents.

Cons - You will get up way to early in the morning. You will be bannished to the front porch every time you even look at that little plastic thing that sounds like a duck. You will be destined to dust the entire house after you wife see's how clean your guns are kept. Your wife will start calling your bird dog your girlfriend and your daughter will spend more time looking at camied clothing then name brand blue jeans. :)

·
Premium Member
20,272 Posts
Actually, there is only one argument you need to make to your wife. You get to go hunting because that is what you WANT to do. If she has any objections, she can go hunting ......... for a new husband. Once she understands that's the ground rules, she will either play ball your way or find someone else to play ball with. Either way, you win.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Buy her an early SG for the holiday. Take her to the range to shoot some clays. If she likes it then tell her you'll take her out hunting next year. If she doesn't like it then you get a new SG and then tell her that you'll make dinner for just the two of you with what you bag.

Or what Ulysses said.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My fiance is pretty much anti hunting, but I still go without any trouble. I even get away with throwing a pheasnt wing through the house for the pup (if I'm quick about it). If that is something you feel strongly about or makes you happy she should see that as it is. No way you will be able to stop her from buying shoes or clothes that she will only wear once.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bigdaddy said:
I need information on pros and cons on hunting to show it to my wife or otherwis e I don't get to go[/b]
There are over 3.2 billion dollars of damage due to deer invloved in automobile accidents. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
a picture says a thousand words:

talk her into getting a good hunting dog, but don't tell her he is for hunting, then after she falls in love, explain to her that it would be cruel not to the let him do what he was born to do. Shouldn't be any argument after that. Glad to help.
:wink:
Kevin

·
Registered
14 Posts
a picture says a thousand words:

talk her into getting a good hunting dog, but don't tell her he is for hunting, then after she falls in love, explain to her that it would be cruel not to the let him do what he was born to do. Shouldn't be any argument after that. Glad to help.
:wink:
Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
First off if you want to hunt you must own guns. Take her to a local hunter education class. They wont teach hunting they teach fire arm safety and responsibility. From there she will learn about true sportsmanship and the reason people hunt. Pros hunting is a tool for wildlife managment. Its a good excuse to take a walk in the wilds of the NW. There is nothing more beautiful than watching a good bird dog work. Cons there are some jerks out there that have no respect, for game or other hunters and shouldnt be carrying a gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I consider my self to be one of the very lucky ones when it comes to this area. I met my wife on memorial weekend 5 years ago at a tiny remote eastern washington lake. She was with her brother and sister in law, enjoying a three day walleye fishing weekend. She had an assortment of fishing rods and reels for everything from steelhead to halibut, a very expierienced 30-06, and an 870 that has seen almost as many ducks and geese as mine. If you can introduce your wife to some of the many other sides of the sport such as D.U. events, sporting clays, or many even start off with your local sportsmans club where she will me several ladies who are very active, this may shed a whole new light on her judgements of this sport we are so obsessed with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
try listening o your wife! i understand that sometimmes you want to do something and you really dont care what anyone says...but hunting shouldnt be one of them. hunting is the cruelest hobby! i know all of you who hunt are heartless and cold and dont stop to think about anything or anyone but yourself, but hear me out. Animals are defensless against guns and whatever other weapons you use. they do nothing to deserve to be killed. you kill and break up families...and i know that sounds ridiculous to some people, but that shows how insensitive they are. They eat, sleep,and play. You're killing them in their natural habitat. imagine someone coming into your home and killing you for no good reason. THEY CANT EVEN DEFEND THEMSELVES. DOES THAT MAKE YOU GUYS FEEL MORE LIKE MEN. TO KILL SOMETHING THAT CANT EVEN PUT UP A FIGHT?? OR ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE UP FOR SOMETHING ...LACKING?? EITHER WAY IT'S A LITTLE PATHETIC DONT YOU THINK?? ARE YOU THAT BIG OF LOSERS THAT YOU CANT FIND ANOTHER HOBBY?? LETS GET REAL PEOPLE... NEXT TIME YOU KILL AN ANIMAL...THINK ABOUT WHAT I SAID. NOT LIKE ANY OF YOU ASSHOLES CARE, BUT MAYBE ONE, JUST ONE OF YOU IS HUMAN AND REALIZES HOW WRONG THIS SO CALLED SPORT IS.[/b]

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Guest,
Welcome to ShotgunWorld. Why not sign up (or is that sack up) and take credit. Really that's the only thing keeping me from complimenting you for speaking your mind and not sugar coating it.

Do you spend much time in the woods? If you have I'm sure you've noticed the cycle of life that has surrounded you. Surely you've seen Lion King or some other sort of movie talking of the circle of life. What we hunters choose to do is be an active participant in that circle. Unless you're a fruitarian or something, you participate too, just not to the extent we choose to. Something has to die for us to live. That's the way it works.

The families of animals you are talking about don't exist. The bucks don't come home from a long day at the office, hug the kids, pet the coyote and sit down at dinner and talk of his long day with his doe.

An animals life does not resemble a Disney movie! Death in the animals life, without human intervention, just for your sake, happens by Fang, Tooth, Claw, Starvation, Disease. Not many animals die in their sleep of old age. Mother Nature doesn't work that way.

Thanks for you opinions though and next time you look at your plate of food remember, something had to die for that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow to the guest. You apparently dont know the Shinola people. Hunting is a tool for conservation. In 1989 The navy asked for a special hunt on their Manchester refueling station due to the deer eating everything down to nothing. They were starving from lack of feed and too many deer for the enviroment. They with the WDFW decided to have a hunt for people who were disabled. They could only use bow and arrow and must qualify for accuracy. I was asked to help qualify. I saw grown men crying because they got a chance to do something they havent been able to do for years. I saw men with out arms hold the bow with their feet and pull the string back with their mouth and hit dead center. I saw men and women who couldnt walk struggle to pull a bow back and hit dead center. When they saw the shape of the deer a lot of them didnt want to shoot because the deer were damn near dead of starvation. Your so -called humane society and PAWS stood and fought to keep the hunt from happening. A deer walked towards the crowd at the gate and fell over dead from mal nouritment. They thought it better to watch an animal die a slow agonizing death for no reason. Thats Humane? They stopped the hunt so the navy came in and killed 60% of the heard and hauled the deer off to the compost piles of the local landfill. The deer are stronger and in better health now due to lack of competition for forage. Guess what every other year they shoot a persentage of the deer and haul them away to keep the numbers under control. Now you ask why dont they haul them to a place with no deer. It was tried on Angel Island in California 200 head were placed there with in 3 months only 10 were still alive with 6 months they all had died. They were not accustomed to the forage available. The same thing is happening in the NE corner of Washington with Alpine Caribou They once thrived there but died off man tried to bring them back again they are dying off. Think of this the next time you lop off a head of lettuce or feel the lifes juices flow over your hand as your knife penetrates the skin of a tomato.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How about a females point of view to assist you with your wife problem.... I have been hunting for years!! I bagged my first deer my first year hunting. I have been raised to understand why hunting is important and I am currently writing a paper on why hunting is important. As long as you eat what you kill, there will be no problems! If you are at all over weight, tell your wife it is healthy to go hiking miles into the woods and it will help you lose that beer gut she has been hounding you about. There is also the reality of overpopulation in the animal world. take a drive through a park in RI in the summer. You will see a horrible sight, hundreds of geese and ducks, crapping all over the place. I bet that park would look a lot better if someone shot a couple of those geese. I dunno where you are from, but these problems are all over the US and other countries.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Of course there is the fact that hunting is the best way that we, as God-ordained stewards of His creation, can devise to control habitat and population levels. Why is this important? Because hunters are the largest single group of financial supporters for habitat protection and improvement. Without the habitat, there are no animals. If we do not control population, animals generally will have increased mortality due to starvation and disease. What is more humane? Killing one animal at a time relatively quickly, or allowing entire herds to starve to death or die of disease over periods of weeks or even months?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.