Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've taken advantage of the public hunting leases offered by the state of Texas in and around Dallas. Drop me a post if you have questions or experiences.

Jay G.

Shotgunworld.com

MTaylor
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(3/30/03 7:36:40 am)
Re: Hunting Public Hunting Leases in Texas
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hunt the National Forest a lot (it's on three sides of me) but have never hunted on the private leases offered in the program.

Do you just show up or are there reservations required, or ?? If you do not need reservations, what's the likelyhood that the area will overly populated with hunters?

Do you find the areas actually populated enough with game to make the hunt worthwhile? I assume you scout the area in advance?

Shotgunworld
Forum Owner
(3/31/03 2:35:02 am)
ezSupporter
Hey MT!
You mean the Public Dove Lease program?
Most of the fields are 80 acres up to 400 acres, so overcrowding is not a problem. Some are good with ponds and vegetation left, but others are just dry empty fields. So yes you do need to scout.
All the fields are marked with yellow buttons around the field to show where they end. The entrance to each field will have like a 4' x 6' sign that says "Public Dove lease hunting only ...ya da yada" . You just park your truck at the sign and start hunting. Supposedly the Game Warden comes around every so often to check that you have your public lease hunting license, but in two years I've never been checked, so it's not like they hassle you. Opening day is going to the busiest of course. Last year there around 20 people on a 150 acre field, so it wasn't really crowded. The next day there was just 5 of us. After the first weekend of dove shooting the fields are mostly empty of people.
You'll get a map, in the mail, of each field and directions along with the number of hunters and birds killed on that field the year before.
It's a pretty good deal if you can't afford a lease. I also took advantage of some of the public duck hunting lands up here. It didn't seem to be crowded either, but it took me awhile to find a good spot. I hunted Lake Ray Roberts and Lake Lavon.
Let me know if you have other questions.
regards,
Jay Gentry

Shotgunworld.com

MTaylor
Shotgunworld Ambassador
(3/31/03 7:01:39 am)
Yeah...referring to the dove leases. I've seen the 'brochure' of the leases. On occasion you will see other game listed but not very often. I wish there were more with other game available to hunt. Maybe in time...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I plan on taking advantage of the public lands this year. I want to be able to take my boys out after school on hunts and not have to drive three hours to do so. Not on opening day though. I may wait a week or so.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I've hunted the public leases for doves for three years. After the first couple of weeks from my experience most of the lands dry up for birds. Don't know why this is but it happens. If you want to get your boys into some birds there are some great day leases east and west of the metroplex that will afford you a better chance at some birds some as low as $30 per day.

I've also had really good luck watching out for birds and finding very small parcels of land that intercect or provide either food or water and asked the farmer if I can hunt them.

I will still buy my APH this year but don't plan on using it. Have to support the program or it goes away. Jay has put up some nice posts on here of his spots. The one in Anna for some reason does hold birds for longer than the others.

Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm originally from Throckmorton County and will continue to go there on weekends. Looks like I might be heading towards Anna during the week though.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
CrazyKatt,
Welcome to ShotgunWorld the friendliest forum on the net. We invite you to become a member of our community.

There are a couple of places to find the info:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/

http://www.southernregion.fs.fed.us/texas/

Hope these links help and before you head out there, ask us out here and we'll be able to tell you if you're wasting the trip or not.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
i love the APH, it is a great buy, i have to buy it just to be able to hunt many lakes for waterfowl, but i have used it for dove and had some great hunts. I plan on showing some forney boys a few places this year that is close to their house.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey WW, I know this Forney boy is ready. I can't wait to see some of those grey missles coming across the field on a hot September day. Fire up the grill and lets have some Dove Wraps. BASSHAWK 8)

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Perfect Picture includes:

Large pasture with a pond, A guy sitting under the edge of a shade tree with his favorite shotgun. The Dovies they are a flying and dieing at the hand of the HUNTER. AS the picture progresses to the right there is a gathering of guys just like the first one having fun and fellowship with Dove on the Barbee :wink:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like its going to get a bit crowded under the edge of that shade tree RWH24....I don't think one of them grey rockets is going to be safe with all the guys that want to get out that way this year....Hope its going to be a good year

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
:idea: Just think; We all have met here thru the internet talking back and forth to each other. We have gone a step further and met at a shooting range and did some shooting. We now have plans to meet again and do more shooting. We may even meet again and thru this thing called the internet we will get more people like us interested and involved. Thru all of these meetings and practices we have (should have) become better at our hobby/sport.
Snipe you are very correct in that the grey missles learn to zig and zag a whole lot. They better be scared or "SUPER BIRDS".

BTW: I have seen quite a few dovies flying as I drive around.

2/BTW: Since you won the "D.P." cup with the DeHaan, don't you like have to retire it from friendly competition and use a different gun :wink: I have a youth singleshot I'll loan you :lol:

Randy

·
Registered
5 Posts
i think some of those super birds are breed by the shot shell companies in order to make us miss and buy more shells. their also lead resistant, and have little licese plate that tells who they work for under there tails. so for this has been a great place to met and chat hunting and meet some good guys for the coming season. i look forward to the next shoot and meeting some more of yall. and i am sure as the season gets closer more guys will find this place a post there .02

·
Registered
85 Posts
I cant do that RWH...its not even broke in yet.. :D ...I know I may get some flack but ....Its not what you shoot...Its how good you shoot what you have...IMO..

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
:idea: :oops: It Was Just an Idea :!: WE may have to come up with classes of our own ie:

Dom Pred
Xpert
Purty Good
Not so Good
Flat Stinks ME :!: :lol:

Later

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was watching the TP&W on PBS the other day they were talking about this up coming season for dove they feel It should be as good as it has been the last 2 years...They also were talking about a dove that has been moving into the mid and north Texas area ....Its called a Eurasian collared-dove ...Its like the second cousin to the morning dove and there are no limits on them so if you pop one don't pull the head off its the best way for the GW to identify it...Heres a bit of info and a pic of one....Just thought you guys would like to know..

Identification Tips:
Length: ? inches
Pale gray head and underparts
Thin black collar with white upper border
Gray upperparts
Dark primaries
Long, squared tail-undersurface with black base and white tip, uppersurface gray with white outer tips
Sexes similar
Established in southern Florida and expanding northward

Similar species:
Ringed Turtle Dove similar and is best separated by its different song. Eurasian Collared Dove has darker primaries, more obvious white in the neck, is larger with a longer tail and has a grayer plumage. Mourning Dove darker with pointed tail and lacks collar.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
This is great :!: My only problem with the bird in flight is that he/she would have to be towing a neon sign saying they were wearing a collar :wink: :lol:

Randy

G

·
Hey yall just curious if any of yall have a good duck lease or know of 1 that needs 2 guns thanks alot
Johnny
Houston,TX

G

·
Heck I met ol' jlptexashunter on a turkey hunt and been shooting with him since. It's great that a person can still meet decent friends out there in the field and the net. Thank God there are good folks to share this hobby of ours.

LAter,

RWH24 said:
:idea: Just think; We all have met here thru the internet talking back and forth to each other. We have gone a step further and met at a shooting range and did some shooting. We now have plans to meet again and do more shooting. We may even meet again and thru this thing called the internet we will get more people like us interested and involved.

Randy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts