Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently looking through the Cabela's shooting catalog and noticed theu had an advertisment for slingshots. I have an old slingshot that I haven't picked up in a few years and I was wondering is it possible to be able to hunt rabbits successfully with a slingshot? The slingshot that I have can throw a 1 oz stone over 200 yds so it has plenty of power. I was also thinking of buying 00 buckshot for ammo, Is 00 buckshot large enough since a slingshot will only use 1 pellet?

I know this forum is for shotguns so if you really strict about the posts being kept to shotguns than someone can delete this post.

Thanks,
Sven

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sven,

You don't say where you are from but check your local game laws to see if it is legal to hunt with a sling shot, as silly as that sounds. Big Brother has a say in everything.

Yes a sling shot can kill a rabbit if the slingshot is strong enough and you get close enough. I have never done so with a slingshot but rabbits don't take a lot of power to bring down.
I have seen my cousin take a rabbit with a slingshot when we were kids.

I also have been the recipient of a slingshot shot to the head :roll: . by my idiot cousin! It was on one of those outings when my dear old cousin got into an argument with a mutual friend. As we were going our seperate ways, my friend and I turn around in time to see my cousin shooting at us with marbles. I took one right square in the forehead at around 75 yards and it almost put me down. I also began bleeding like a stuck pig! I still have the scar.

Ah childhood!

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I have taken a number of rabbits, chickens, pigeons, and cats with a "wrist-rocket" and taconite pellets back in my youth. They are not perfectly round but flew reasonably straight for 10 yards or so. Marbles are a popular ammo as are large ball bearings. I still have the wrist rocket and several hundred mixed pieces of ammo for it. I think I'll have dig them out and see if I can still shoot it. Thanks for the memories!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I rabbit hunt a lot and I have used a sling shot before when hunting by myself. They are sure hard to hit especially if you are hunting with dogs, because they are usually on the run. I have hunted with everything down to a dirt clod. It doesn't take a lot to get a rabbit if you get them in the right spot. Last year I killed one at fifty yards with a shotgun, one bb just happened to hit him in the top of the head and it rolled him. Hunting with a sling shot sure is fun and takes a lot of practice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.