Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12g RRL that has fixed skeet chokes. I was wanting to know how limited I would be if I was hunting quail. Everything I've been able to find has said that after 25 yards you're pretty much done with a skeet choke. Any input would be appreciated...

P.S. This is a great site. I've learned a ton of stuff...

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
It would depend on the species of quail I suppose. I understand that some of the western birds are prone to flush pretty wild. But for bobwhite hunting, I used a 20 gauge with sawed off barrels for years and considered it no handicap whatsoever. After I got a gun with screw chokes, I started using skeet and improved cylinder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hunting in Texas around the Weatherford area. Around Possum Kingdom. We have Northern Bobwhite, I believe.

·
Registered
493 Posts
That is one of the best chokes for Dog pointed quail. Those little rocket ships don't offer much long distant shot opportunity. 25yards doesn't sound far but pace off 75ft, take take a softball and place on fence post with nothing in background. That is a small target at that distance! Then you still have to mark it and let your dog find the little guy or gal.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I am sure you'll be fine.

I tried a little experiment w/ my 687 at the 16 yd trap line w/ a buddy. We both shot 3 rounds using a different choke each round. The first round we both used mod and shot 22 and 23, next round we shot IC and shot 22 and 23 and the last round we shot skeet and shot 23 and 23. We were both shooting 1 1/8 oz #7.5 shot.

·
Banned
1,797 Posts
Waaaaaay back when Jack O'Connor was writing for Outdoor Life he wrote about a couple of Model 21s he owned. He had one with Mod and Full barrels. The other was a Skeet gun.

He always used the M & F gun/barrels for pheasants. He knocked a lot of them down, then had them run off.

For a reason I cannot remember, he once used the Skeet gun. He was surprised that the pheasants he was shooting started to drop stone dead.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
28ga skt&skt Win 101 or my Beretta SP II 28ga skt& I.C. when shot over Coco(my GSP) wreak havoc on Mr. Bob.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
bridgeburner said:
The O/Connor story makes no sense.

As already said, Skeet chokes are great of a pointing dog.
Yes it does, he was only 'fringe hitting' them with the full choke. If he had been getting solid hits they would have been going "POOF". When we handycap ourselves with to tight a pattern this is the normal result unles the shooter knows to ride the bird out.

Because of their small size guessing the range on quail is very deceptive, and reducing the distence we think they are by half is usually pretty close.

tom

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
If this was a fringe hit thing, then why not make like Paul Harvey and post "The Rest Of The Story"? Saying no more than "He knocked a lot of them down, then had them run off"
made no sense to me.

I shoot with a guy who knocks them down with M&F and they often run off and they are not fringe hits. I knock them down with IC and they stay knocked down. My friend insists on using #7 1/2 shot while I use #5.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts