Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my cousin has never gone hunting before and we hunt whitetail deer. we are debating on what type of gun he should shoot between a 20 gauge shot gun a 4-10 shotgun and a 30-30. we are not sure if he can handle the 30-30 for his first gun but he is 16 years old
hunterscking

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Some entire states and some areas within a state limit deer hunting to buckshot or slugs only. So you need to take that into account.

However, if there's no restriction on hunting with a centerfire rifle, the .30-30 would be an excellent choice for Whitetail deer, and either a Winchester Model 94 or a Marlin 336 would be an excellent choice in a rifle.

A 16-year-old could handle that easily.

Most shots at deer are taken from a stand at distances seldom beyond 75 to 100 yards and Whitetail deer are easily knocked down with a 150-grain soft-point slug, which is ideal for deer.

There are a number of other calibers acceptable, but the .30-30 is still the king of deer cartridges.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
30-30 man here too. And a 270 Savage 110L lover as well.

I take the 30-30 for hardwood/pine hunting out to 100 yards. From stand or ground.

If you're hunting over some of those cutovers so often seen in SC, peanut/bean fields, or cotton fields, 200+ yard shots are not real uncommon. But make sure whatever you do, that you and your cousin CAN shoot and HIT what you aim at.

From one of your previous posts, as hoashooter noted, you are on the way to becoming, in fact you are, a conscientious hunter with good ethics. Asking questions demonstrates this as well.

I hope you get that big buck you saw!

Bud

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Not the .410. It is a pipsqueak at best, especially with slugs. It is a gun for wing and clay for the accomplished shooter. the dirty-dirty is a very good choice out to a couple hundred yds, preferably less. If a rifle is legal, I'd opt for that, if not, the 20 ga is probably your best second choice. All assuming yu have these guns already. If not, the door is open for a plethora of find deer hunting cartridges in rifles. I've never shot deer with a .30-30 but where I hunt, we have the possibility of far longer shots as well as just at the tip of the muzzle, so the '06, .270, .243, and .257 Roberts are much more common that the old 30 WCF. though there are still a lot of them arround herebouts. Another very good option may be some sort of carbine chambered in .44 Remington mag! That too is a very good deer cartridge and it doesn't recoil much nor do the guns weigh all that much.

BP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts