Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased a Husqvarna 12 gauge double barrel hammer gun. The serial number is 175509 and stamped M. Could anyone tell me when it was made? Also is it safe for low brass or blackpowder?
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
We need more information before we can answer your questions. What is the condition of the gun? Are the barrels Damascus, "twist" or steel? What is the chamber length?

Separate the barrels from the frame and take some clear, close-up photos of all the markings on the barrel flats and frame watertable. Post those pix here so forum members can view the proof marks and determine if the gun is suitable for smokeless powder or only black powder. Regardless of the proof marks, the condition of the gun will determine if it is safe to shoot any type of ammunition. That judgement may be best left to a qualified gunsmith.

As nations changed their proof marks to reflect improvements in ammunition and testing,
the proof marks on the gun may help determine a time frame during which it was manufactured.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

·
Registered
836 Posts
Husqvarna made double hammer guns well into the mid 1900's. According to the two sites listed below your gun was made in 1942. One site says it should have 2 3/4" chambers and by 1942 it should have been made with modern steel so I expect it should be safe with modern shells. The Swedes didn't have a Proof House so there isn't any way of knowing what pressure it was proofed for but I'd expect they used normal European pressures which were a bit lower than the US standard. I'd roll up an index card into the chambers to check their length.

The first site may be best to find your model in the pics and descriptions of the various "Dubbelbössa" (double barrel is my guess) models. The model number may also be stamped on the barrel flats of your gun. The Model 51 is probably the latest double hammer gun made so it might have '51' stamped on the flats.

The second site shows the technical info that may be stamped on the barrel flats and watertable. The 'M' is probably the 'Finishers' (Inspectors?) mark.

http://www.skydevaaben.com/index.xml
http://www.shotguns.se/html/hva_in_general.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.