Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with Winchester AA hulls, no mater the recipe, but only about 4 or 5 out of a hundred, the rest crimp great. I talked with a shooting buddy and he says he gets the same thing with AA's. Any ideas? Thanks, SR Tableware Ingredient Cylinder Tints and shades Drink
Liquid Rectangle Fluid Wood Cylinder

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
Your crimp punch could be off center from the die. Does the defect always occur at the same spot on the hull as you raise the handle?? Using a 9000, you could be not fully rotating the carrier plate or over rotating by just a bit.
Steve

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will pay attention to see if it occurs at the same spot. I am using a Mec Jr. Seems if the crimp punch was off center it would happen an all of them. I will also take one apart and measure the shot and powder. Thanks all

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
Lets take a minute and clarify what you are talking about, because your pictures are a little blurry.
Are you referring to the point in this picture?
Cylinder Gas Liquid Electric blue Magenta

Or this dished part in this picture.
Plant Rectangle Electric blue Liquid Magenta

Steve

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
Looking at those pics the rim or lip of you crimp looks too wide and the whole thing is weird looking. Did you buy this press new?? If the answer is "no" the first thing I would now check is if your crimp punch is the correct one. Do you maybe have a 16 ga. punch in a 12 ga. press. The black plastic or silver metal body has to be 12 ga., but the punch can be any gauge.
Steve

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Then, show us a picture of where the shot level comes to inside the hull BEFORE you pre-crimp. Crimp quality is all about crimp adjustments, AND all about total stack height inside the hull.

That hull also looks rather old due to the groove in the brass. Could these few every hundred be old Win AA CF hulls that need slightly different stack heights or crimp adjustments compared to Win AA HS hulls to give a good finished shotshell?

good luck, garrisonjoe

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They are all old AA hulls. I will post pics tomorrow. Believe it or not the 96 out of 100 look factory good, best crimps I have ever had. I acquired these hulls a couple months ago ( whole barrel full, mostly once fired ) and just now starting to load them. Thanks

·
Registered
Benelli SBE, Savage Fox 16, Browning Citori
978 Posts
I had crimps like that out of my new sizester. The final crimp was a tad bit crooked. It crimped most perfect most of the time. I bent the final crimp probably a 16th. Also made sure the hull was FULLY back in its place. If they aren’t touching the brass in the holder it will do that. Same looking crimp. Never had another.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wouldn’t over analyze this, as there may be nothing going on with your loader. My Mec 9000 loads everything Remington and Federal perfectly. Same for AA HS. When I get a batch of old CF AAs, about 5% of them show the exact same flaw you are seeing.
The old CF AAs used a very stiff plastic, and now they are all 30+ years old.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts