Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the subject line says, I got a chance to shoot some informal (non-registered) Trap Doubles. I've never shot doubles before; any advice from the crowd?

I plan to use my Brown Citori U/O, choked Full over IM, I don't have any duplicate chokes, so the barrels will have to be choked different, I figured the tighter choke will be used for my second bird.

Nay help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

~Jello

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am "NOT" a good doubles shooter, but maybe by voicing what little I know, someone sharper will chime in. For one if you haven't done it before, do not be squad leader, be on station 2 or 3 so you can watch a few birds and get the place the 1st bird comes out of the house in your mind.
You may want to hold a little bit higher gun on the 1st bird than you usually do, get your gun to where the birds path is. Call for the bird and bust it with a short smooth move, dip your barrel down a hair and over so you are coming after the second bird from below and behind instead of cutting accross to it. There was a "fundamentals to trap shooting by Remington" address on one of the posts here last week, that gave very good photos of doubles and how much to lead the bird. There, now maybe someone good will chime in.
DD

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is what I've been told and I too am not a very good doubles shooter yet. You have to take chances with the first bird out in other words shoot it quick and immediately shift your eyes to the second target. Stay in the gun and shoot the second target. Most shooters including me shoot the straight away target first and then go after the second. In other words on station one shoot the right hand target first and then go after the left on station 2 the same drill on 3 its a toss up which ever you like first, Station 4 the left target first then the right and the same for station 5. Sean Hawley one of the top doubles shooters in the country shoots them all the same way. I have never seen him shoot but I have seen Harlen Campbell, Kay Oyhe, David Schaffer Jr. Ray Stafford, Urban Womer, Chris Vendel shoot them and they all shoot the straight away first. Doubles are my favorite thats why they make O/U's I need to get better at them but I only get to shoot them on game day. My best yet was a 95. I'm a C or D class doubles shooter. Good luck its a lot of fun going Boom Boom :).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dead Dog said:
There was a "fundamentals to trap shooting by Remington" address on one of the posts here last week, that gave very good photos of doubles and how much to lead the bird. There, now maybe someone good will chime in.
http://www.remington.com/library/downloads/brochures.asp
Well I'm not "someone good", but I found the link at any rate. Hope it helps. I'd like to try doubles, but it's all I can do to keep track of one bird!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had the chance to try doubles a couple of weeks ago at our league banquet fun shoot. Nobody at the club anymore shoots them but we set the pat up for a little fun. BIG MISTAKE
One of the other better shooters at the club has said he'd like to try them and now I'm really hooked. They are extremely challenging for me because I'm a pump shooter and I see no reason to change now or ever. The hardest part for me was I was stopping my swing for the second bird rather than following through. When I did it right it felt right and was a blast!! O'Boy the last thing I need is another addiction in this sport, my wife is gonna kill me LOL
i think next year we might have to have an individual doubles league.
Rick

·
Registered
164 Posts
tigmaned,
Yes on station 1 and 2 the right bird is the straight away and on 4 and 5 the left bird is the straight away. Station 3 can be shot eith way as far as I know, I'm guessing and it's just a guess that the stronger side of the shooter would be the logical choice. (right first for righties and left for lefties) I'm by no means an expert and what I've said is only my interpretation of the method. I'ts something that I'm definately interested in if I can find a few more local guys to shoot it with.
Rick

·
Registered
714 Posts
I plan to use my Brown Citori U/O, choked Full over IM, I don't have any duplicate chokes, so the barrels will have to be choked different, I figured the tighter choke will be used for my second bird.
That's perfect for what you want. I shoot Full/IM as well.

This is what I know (and have been taught). Find your hold points at each post -- get a good look at where the target is coming out; that will help you immensely. Get a good stance so that you're more open to the angles, not the straightaway. I almost "spot shoot" the first target (I rarely "see" it, I just know it's there), I hold a higher gun than singles and 'caps and since the target comes out the same place every time, it's just a matter of consistency. Do not "admire" the first target - shoot it (like you mean it) and move on to the second target. You have plenty of time to get to the second target, there is no reason to rush it. If you are missing your first target, it's possible you're not holding in the right place (too high or low) or you're taking too long to shoot. That could set you up to miss the 2nd target or throw your movement off. See it, shoot it and move.

You need to move your body and not your arm to the 2nd target. If you start arm shooting (which happens when you rush) put a bit more of your weight on your forward foot to help you move or tighten your stance. I'm left-handed and I tighten up my stance (sometimes it feels like I'm a pretzel) on 4 & 5; there is no way I can arm shoot when I tighten my stance. I stand my normal singles stance for 1, 2 and 3. I shoot the right target first on post 3 - it seems easier to me.

The key to doubles is knowing that you're getting the same target presentation every single time - there's no wondering what's going to come out of the trap machine. Your job is to be consistent in your stance, mount, hold and movement. That takes practice. So, go out, practice and have a blast!!!

I absolutely love doubles -- I look forward to them at every shoot. Hope this helps in some way, YMMV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
doubles :rock that being said, instinct takes over. I shoot lots of birds, so my suggestion, get out there, have fun and find the first bird, kill it, find the second bird, kill it... nuff said

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I suggest IM top barrel, IC bottom barrel for first shot. 1 oz #8 @ 1180 f/s first shot, 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 @ 1200 f/s for the second.

Set your stance to favor the 2nd angled target. Wind back to line up for the straight away. Actually the target is suppose to be a straight away from between 1&2 and 4&5. If right handed, shoot the right bird first on post 3. This way you can pick up the second bird faster with the peripheral vision of your left eye, assuming you shoot with both eyes open. Good suggestion about watching about where the targets are flying and hold on that line to get the jump on the first target.

Shoot the first bird as fast as you can with out being reckless, then shift your eyes to the second target and swing to it. If you notice that the 2nd target is starting to drop shoot under and in front of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts