Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you guys were right. I read all the posts about the sights and what type of sights, bead or fiber-optic, etc. Everyone kept saying it didn't matter, you don't look at the sights anyway. I never said anything otherwise, because as the new guy on the block, I didn't want to disrespect any of you.

I have been shooting for years and never really noticed, but anyway, I thought you guys were full of crap, that is, until I went out to shoot my new SG. I made it a point to just shoot like I always do but to take notice of how I sighted the gun. Like I said, you were right. It could have a golf ball up there, and it wouldn't matter, eyes on the target. For that matter, I seriously considered removing the sight altogether. It is just something to snag crap on. :)

The point of all this rambling is to say great job, guys. Good call, and thanks for keeping us idiots straight.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
I have some friends who take a black magic marker to the field for registered skeet shoots to blacken their white front bead....cause once you know the gun fits, you don't want to look at that sucker.

I do have friends, really good clays shooters, who use the Hi-Viz type front sight, but I still don't understand the reason behind them.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
We all see the muzzle/bead in our peripheral vision, consciously or subconsciously.

Some shooters do better when they can more clearly see the bead in their peripheral vision. Others find it too distracting to see it more clearly.

That's why it is unwise to suggest that all shooters would be better off one way or the other.

Scott

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I don't see much value in a front bead alone, but I use my front and mid-beads at the start of every visit to the range to calibrate my mount. The clothing that I wear and the angle of my trigger "elbow" effect my mount. I check my mount for the first few shots to see how my beads are aligning. I adjust and then I don't look at them any more--as long as the clays are cooperating.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put on of those HI VIZ sights on my Trap gun once, thought it looked cool, damn thing only got in my way, It was so pretty setting out there on the end of my shotgun, glowing so bright, Kinda like the star on the top of a christmas tree, Danged ifn I didnt miss 6 birds that round.. Needless to say, took it off, put back the small white Ivory ,Marbles sight bead, and every thing is back to normal..

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's ironic to come across this post: last weekend I shot skeet for the first time. The first round was mediocre, and I was trying to sight. On the second and third rounds, I noted that I sort of "let go" and began shooting on instinct, and Wow! What a difference. At the first stand, I shot the high house, low house and a double!! Unbelievable. The 2nd and 3rd rounds I missed a total of 6 clays! Not bad for a first timer. Question is..... will I be able to repeat that? Time will tell! :wink: The more experienced guys were excited to see a newbie do so well.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on getting your feet wet! Good job with the shooting. Don't be disappointed if you fall off a tad. You may, then again, you may not. Either way, keep it up, you'll only get better over time.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well Soonerpgh, I dropped off a bit... I shot 4 rounds yesterday and did pretty good. Not as good as last weekend, but I was using a different gun, too. I came across a Franchi Alcione that was "calling my name." lol, and I just had to try it out. :)

On the upside, I was shooting with some serious skeet guys, and they were very forthcoming with tips, posture, lead, etc. I greatly appreciated their input.

As an aside, the highlight of the day was seeing a 7 & 9 year old learning to shoot. They were at a bit of disadvantage: full choked .410 :shock: - but at the last station, the 7 yo obliterated the clay. One moment it was there..... the next moment nothing but a gray cloud. We cheered the little guy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.