Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or I need to drill the stock further.

I bought the GG&G single point mount for my mossberg 500. I had to remove the two washers from the stock bolt to make it fit. With the washers, it was too short and would stick out far enough to catch the receiver threads. I guess I'll have to drill the buttstock hole a little deeper.

·
Registered
839 Posts
For what it is worth, I had a similar problem with the GG&G sling attachment on a Mossberg 590 A1 and a Choate stock. As I recall, I removed one washer and barely had enough threads to make a solid connection (aligning the bolt so that I did not cross thread it was a pain in the backside though). If I decide to keep this configuration I will definitely go back and Loctite the bolt.

If you don't have enough threads exposed to make a good connection, I agree with Banshee. Drilling might compromise the structural integrity of the connection. With the tension of the bolt and vibration from recoil, something could give.

RJM

·
Registered
500 Posts
Are the Mossbergs 5/16-18?

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
DJTURNz said:
Is there a source for a longer bolt for this specific reason? Or do I need to figure out the thread and size and just order a new bolt from McMaster Carr?
It might be cheaper if you find one locally.
Do you have any businesses that sell bolts and fasteners, such as Fastenal? If not McMaster-Carr will work fine. I have ordered many a bolt from them restoring Military Vehicles.
I know 870 Remingtons are 1/4-28, but I don't remember what Mossberg are.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We deal with Carr through work so I don't pay shipping. I just have to wait until we order from them again, which is about 3 times a month.

Now I need to figure out the thread size.

Does anybody know?

·
Registered
500 Posts
According to ATI instruction sheets, the Mossberg/Maverick shotguns have a 5/16-18 thread size. Not sure about length...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Not sure of length, but, when I cut down a stock for my son's 870 Youth gun, I made a bolt from 1/4" stock and threaded it on both ends.
1/4-28 on the receiver end, and because I couldn't get 1/4-28 nuts, I threaded it for 1/4-20 and put a standard nut on the 'pad' end.

That homemade bolt has been in place for over a year. . . no problems, yet!

"Any port in a storm."

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
byf43 said:
Not sure of length, but, when I cut down a stock for my son's 870 Youth gun, I made a bolt from 1/4" stock and threaded it on both ends.
1/4-28 on the receiver end, and because I couldn't get 1/4-28 nuts, I threaded it for 1/4-20 and put a standard nut on the 'pad' end.

That homemade bolt has been in place for over a year. . . no problems, yet!

"Any port in a storm."
Smart way to adapt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts