Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started back shooting skeet as of late. Just finished the first league in many years. We tied for first, will see what happens when the other team posts a shoot off score.

Anyway I had been struggling with an over and under and decided to switch to an autoloader I had, an A390.

Shot the last round with it and the shoot off. Posted 24's both rounds. I have always shied away from shooting autos in skeet, because I hate to have to look for my hull's. But I can't argue with the way it shoots.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Quail Killa;

Shoot what is most comfortable and can hit targets with.

I switched to an auto for 12ga and doubles cause I have been struggling for almost a whole season in the 12ga events.

Have been shooting the auto exclusively for about 5 weeks now in practice and finally yesterday I shot 200 straight(got some high 5's and a couple hand shakes)

What a good feeling.

My point is that I am now confident in the gun and gauge that I am shooting.

Hit them all...

PS: to hell with the hulls, just one more thing on your mind while you are shooting.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Quail don't do this too me. You just helped talk me into that Yildiz SPZ ME that I love. If I have to go out and get an auto then the wife will kill me.

Hmmmmm now that you mention it though Yildiz makes some damn fine autos.....

Brother shoot what works best for you and have fun. :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just do like I do. Buy it, put it in the gun safe and don't say anything.

All kidding aside, the SPZ's stock fits me pretty well. I just don't have one in a 12.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Someone once said "it's always easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission." I'm not sure how well that works in practice, but you could certainly try it and find out!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
MRPOWER said:
Someone once said "it's always easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission." I'm not sure how well that works in practice, but you could certainly try it and find out!!
It works perfectly well; I've been proving for 35 years on my job. I do what is right, regardless of tradition or policy.....once! Now, the key is being sure you never ask forgiveness for the same thing twice.

Russ

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
With a tall redheaded wife....the buy it and stick it in the safe method works best for me! Don't ask, don't tell. :lol:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have several auto loaders and O/U's in various gauges. I have been shooting skeet since September of this year and 90% of the time I'm using an O/U. However it seems I always score better with my AL390 and in fact recently shot my first clean round with it. Not sure if it is gun fit, less recoil or both but I for one will be shooting my auto loader more often. Since I do not reload, no issue with picking up the hulls. I say go with what works and have fun.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Hands down I shoot my Benelli SS better that any O/U I've every laid hands on.

My buddy says "Some people are meant to shoot autos and I'm one of them."
I say it could be that I've been shooting an auto for thirty years and it feels right to me but who knows. I say shoot the gun that works the best for you. :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey Mr C.

Right on my man.

I was there and witnessed the first 75 straight and you are right about hitting the birds. You were not chipping them, not a single one they were powdered and that is no bull.

Anyway congrats and as you witnessed, I fell back to the poor shooting I had been doing of late. But I have a lot more confidence in the 391 and am sure my consistancy will return.
Merry Christmas

UF

·
Registered
813 Posts
Uncle KW;

Thanks for the kind words.

It was a hell of a day.

Did you know that I hold a B class average in the 12ga ?

I had to declare A class just to keep people from calling me a sandbagger.

Do not know for sure what the problem is, but have been on a roller coaster ride with the 12ga for awhile now.

I think my confidence is built back up now and will be fine from here on out.

Merry Christmas to you and yours and will see you out on the semi-circle again.

Hit them all...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
bel_dad said:
Bob, do you shoot your Benelli better than that K32?

bd
Well honestly at this point the answer would be a resounding yes.
I've been shooting the Benelli for a while now and only shot the K32 for one day on two rounds. It could have been a fluke that I shot the K32 as well as I did that one day.
The Benelli feels like an extension of my arm be it shooting skeet, trap or hunting.
Last time I went hunting I fired 4 rounds had three roosters of my own and knocked a wounded flyer out of the air to help my buddy.
On our little Christmas tournament I shot a 73 X 75 in an extremely windy day.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Nice shooting! Well then, I have to ask... what's with the pic of the 1100? Couldn't find one of a Benelli? :lol:

Merry Christmas all,
bd

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
bel_dad said:
Nice shooting! Well then, I have to ask... what's with the pic of the 1100? Couldn't find one of a Benelli? :lol:

Merry Christmas all,
bd
LOL, that's my latest shotgun in 20. I shoot it pretty good too! :p

·
Registered
800 Posts
The best advice is to always use whatever the best shooters at your club are using. They know the right equipment to use for skeet. Don't experiment. Just copy. In the long run it will save you a great deal of time, though it may cost you a bit (or a lot!) more money.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
gc4895 said:
The best advice is to always use whatever the best shooters at your club are using. They know the right equipment to use for skeet. Don't experiment. Just copy. In the long run it will save you a great deal of time, though it may cost you a bit (or a lot!) more money.
Ho, Ho, Ho... You make my belly shake like a bowl full of jelly! :shock:

bd

·
Registered
800 Posts
Oh, gosh, you guys are such characters! Just remember, skeet is about breaking targets!!! Use the best tools available. Don't compromise. Get an auto-loader for 12ga and an O/U for 20, sub and sub-sub gauges. Look at those good shooters. THEY KNOW what they are doing. Don't get stuck on your own experience. There have been plenty that have gone before you. They have learned the difficult lessons.

Stand upon their shoulders. It's up to you. :D

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Let me guess, this is the part where you make an absurd statement, then sit back and chuckle while people write in and make your point for you... Like your, "Extensive research proves scores are directly proportional to the cost of the gun you shoot," statement. :roll: Which statistically is absolutely true, but completly out of context.

I like this one, "Extensive research proves, you can't teach an old dog new tricks."

bd

·
Registered
800 Posts
Just remember, 84.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

And yes, time and time again it has been proved. Target smashing has been found to be in direct relationship to the cost of the gun. Please see 2007 World skeet match results.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts