Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gun shop down the road has a Mossberg 590-base model, bead sight only, not heat sheild or Speedfeed stock-for $290, plus tax. I'm very tempted to jump on it, since from the listings I've seen on GunBroker and Auction Arms, $290 is a pretty good price.
What's bugging me is the Puyallup gunshow is next weekend...grrrrr...that and there seem to be more accessories available for the Remington 870. I've seen some good prices online on 870s, but when you throw in shipping and the fee the local FFL dealers charge, it basically comes out a wash.

If anyone can help me with this decision, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I used to say that happiness was a belt fed weapon, but I still haven't seen a belt fed shotgun.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Normally, I would say, go with the 590, but the 870 will probably be your best bet. It sounds like you want the versitlity.

There really aren't that mainy more accessories for the 870, but the Magazine Extension gives a little more adaptability than the 590.

That would be my recommendation in this case...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's really pushing me to the 870 is the cost of adding ghost-ring sights. Scattergun Tech makes them for the 870 (and only the 870) for $140. The only ones I've seen for the Mossberg or the Winchester is the Precision ones for $245 (for the tritium models in both cases.) The cost of a pistolgrip buttstock and foregrip that holds a tac-lite is pretty much the same for all of them.
Got my eye on an 870 on Gunbroker for $275. Wish me luck.

Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
Id pick up a 870 locally. Dont shy away from a used one either.
In my area, its not hard to find an old 870 wingmaster for $150.
Throw on a 18in bbl, and a mag extension, and you have a hell of a gun for well under $300. Besides, the older 870s are slicker than snot.

I know mossbergs are dead reliable, but they are just janky feeling to me, and have more rattles than a Jamican beach band.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Langenator said:
The gun shop down the road has a Mossberg 590-base model, bead sight only, not heat sheild or Speedfeed stock-for $290
Are you sure it is a 590? Sounds more like a 500 to me. You didn't say if it was new or used, but the current specs on Mossberg's web site don't even list such a configuration for a 590, but do for a 500, which is a cheaper gun.

Guardian said:
There really aren't that mainy more accessories for the 870, but the Magazine Extension gives a little more adaptability than the 590.
Really? All current model 590s are 8+1 to start with. Who needs an extension?

No F-bdy Bs said:
I know mossbergs are dead reliable, but they are just janky feeling to me, and have more rattles than a Jamican beach band.
More rattles than a Jamaican beach band? My M590A1 doesn't. It is every bit as tight as my 870.

Langentor, consider a Mossberg 590 #50663 as it already comes with GRS and should be less money than buying a 590 and adding GRS to it. Or buy the M590A1 #51663 if you prefer the heavy duty Mil-Spec version. I can buy new 51663s all day long for $400, so I am guessing that a new 50663 should be around $325 to $350.

The barrel on a new 590 will be 20", whereas the barrel on a new 870 Express HD will be 18.5", if that makes a difference to you.

Be careful on the Auction sites - some of those guys think they are selling gold. And remember - you still have to pay the seller's shipping and a local FFL transfer fee. On the price range we are talking, it may be less money to buy locally even if you do have to pay sales tax. My advice - shop around!

·
Registered
452 Posts
There are some great pawn shops here in the Tacoma-Seattle-Everett corridor. I picked up a mint '66 870 wingmaster for 200 out the door at Jaffe's in Burien, and they always seem to undervalue there shotguns. I'd say buying a good condition used wingmaster will get you alot more quality than buying a new express (I have both), and then you have the option to mod it out to your hearts desire. PM me if you need a list of places to check out.

Happy Hunting, Eric

Edit: I just realized that I responded to a post that was almost 5 years old.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
rockman22 said:
Edit: I just realized that I responded to a post that was almost 5 years old.
Good grief! I didn't notice that either. Anyway, we both gave him some good advice. What would be really funny is if he responds!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.