·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Jim Tyner said:
Hey Maltzie,

"Am I a grumpy old man?"

Nah, you are only half right. 73 isn't old. :lol:
Ya man.....that's the way I see it.

Just got back from the Ks state shoot, shot Wed. - Sunday. Got home and in the mail was my 250,000th registered target award. Now a 1%er joining the quarter million club. Defined in the Midwest as costing one farm.(literally) Money well spent. Trapshooting becomes your life. All social life and friends other than family, all travel attending events every week/weekend. Love the game and the people. As I've said before.... There are more American trap fields than all sporting, skeet, bunker and 5 stand combined and tens of thousands more shooters. Not that I don't like the other clay games, I shoot all of them, but trap is where its at if you want places to go, competition and attendance.

Maltz

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
"Got home and in the mail was my 250,000th registered target award. "

Congrats! That is a legit milestone.

The scary part is that you have heard the scorekeeper yell "Lost" about 25,000 times. {hs#

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I'm 65 years old. Skeet was the first clay game I learned when I was in my teens. Over the years I've taken breaks from the game but always seem to go back to it cause I just loved it. I've been averaging in the mid-90s for much of those years.

A couple years ago I was invited to shoot some trap by some great guys who shoot both games. I had shot trap a few times in the past but not routinely or seriously. I always preferred skeet. Now, I find myself actually looking more forward to my days when I shoot trap than skeet and it's starting to show in my scores. I'm enjoying the unpredictability of the targets and I've gotten to the point where my 16 yd trap scores have lately been better than my skeet scores. Last year I joined ATA and I have shot a few matches.

My shooting greatly improved this year and the reason for that I believe is I've changed my hold point to a slightly higher position over the house and I'm concentrating to keep my hard focus well out in front of the trap when I call for the target. I'm also much more confident and better at seeing those little leads that I used to confuse with a straight away.

I never thought this would happen.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Next

T
twohigh

Don't be embarrassed about shooting trap. I shot my first clay target on April 2nd 1972. The first discipline was skeet and I broke 2/25. This was very humbling for me because I always out shot my buddies when we were bird hunting. I didn't know anything about clay target shooting but was invited by one of my friends to try this. His neighbor owned a clay target club. When all of us got there, I noticed all of these fine o/u and semi autos. I hunted with a Winchester model 12 pump shotgun that I had shot all of my life. This gun had a 12 inch LOP and all of the bluing was wore off. This gun even had an old Poly Choke on it. It looked like a real piece of $hit but I could really shot it well. I had just traded for a Remington 3 inch 1100. It had a 30 inch barrel and was choked full but is was real nice. It was new right out of the box. I didn't know that this would be a better trap gun than a skeet gun. I went over to the trap range and shot 18/25. I decided right then I was going to become a trap shooter. I went back to the club on Wednesday and shot my first 25/25. and did become a trap shooter. A couple of weeks later, I got my old Model out and shot a 25/25. This was on my second round of skeet. I decided to shoot both games from then on.

I made the average book in handicap trap that first year and started winning a lot of tournaments in trap. I continued on for the next 15 years and won several Texas state doubles championships and also I did great in most of the calcutta's I shot at in trap. Then in 1984, I shot my first sporting clays and was hooked!!!! . I have never shot in anything less than AA. This was the highest class in those days. When Master Class came along, I went straight into Master class. I also kept shooting Trap and skeet, although I never shot registered skeet. I became a known shooter, target setter and teacher the next 10 years and now have written a new book on target setting and shooters and how to beat these guys at their own game. I have mostly retire from clay target shooting. I quit at the 2016 National Championships. The main reason was of the politics of the sports and my health.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine
Former National Chief Instructor
Author of "Inside the mind of a Target Setter

This book has already sold enough copies to pay for all of my expenses so now I have started on a new book. I have not decided on a name yet but it will be about training new Youth Coach Instructors. Being the former Chief Instructor has given me a lot of experience for this new book. Once I finish this book and am still alive, I may do a book on shooting. The main reason for doing this is I Want to leave all of the things I have learned in the last 50 years to all of the new people who come into our sport. I believe this will help the sport continue on long after I am gone. I hope you can see how much all clay target disciplines have made I difference in my life. The clay target games changed all my goals in my life.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I'm 65 years old. Skeet was the first clay game I learned when I was in my teens. Over the years I've taken breaks from the game but always seem to go back to it cause I just loved it. I've been averaging in the mid-90s for much of those years.

A couple years ago I was invited to shoot some trap by some great guys who shoot both games. I had shot trap a few times in the past but not routinely or seriously. I always preferred skeet. Now, I find myself actually looking more forward to my days when I shoot trap than skeet and it's starting to show in my scores. I'm enjoying the unpredictability of the targets and I've gotten to the point where my 16 yd trap scores have lately been better than my skeet scores. Last year I joined ATA and I have shot a few matches.

My shooting greatly improved this year and the reason for that I believe is I've changed my hold point to a slightly higher position over the house and I'm concentrating to keep my hard focus well out in front of the trap when I call for the target. I'm also much more confident and better at seeing those little leads that I used to confuse with a straight away.

I never thought this would happen.
I was a far better Skeet shooter than Trap but I switched over to mostly Trap over 10 years ago.
I had pullers tell me I should have stuck to Skeet.
I easily became a 100 straight shooter in Skeet early on but have only achieved 50 straight in Trap while watching new to Trap people who once asked me for advice achieve 100 straight. Very frustrating and humbling.
But I can't help it and still love shooting Trap.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Will I'm only 63 .... I'll still shoot at anything that's throwing little round targets.
Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays .... It don't matter

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Go to the link of the Men's Trap final below. Note: At the 23:15 mark in the video there is a miss that is challenged by the Italian coach and the VAR is used and the reporter/narrator states that the referees are looking for any powder or wobble or deviation in the target's flight. No powder is apparent. Both the reporter and the coach thought they saw a deviation in the target's flight path. The ref disagreed and it was still called lost.At the 44:10 mark in the video the Great Britain shooter calls for a VAR review. No powder is observed and yet again they are looking for a deviation in the flight of the target. This time the thumb goes up by the ref as he thinks he sees some variation in the flight of the target and a hit is scored. In neither case could I see any evidence of a hit and would have called both targets lost. Watch and see what you think.
After watching that, I can't help but think what a State shoot would be like if every miss was subject to review by instant replay.
It would take all morning to run the typical squad through one round..........

21 - 29 of 29 Posts