Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: This gun is a SxS 12gage it has proof marks on the top of the breech that seems to be 1W with a circle around? Under neith the barrels it says by A B Thanks for any information .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Kevin T. Mich said:
:?: This gun is a SxS 12gage it has proof marks on the top of the breech that seems to be 1W with a circle around? Under neith the barrels it says by A B Thanks for any information .Does the serial number hold the key to the date of manufacture ? If so how do I decifer the code.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MarlandS said:
It's a Stevens 311D

It should be 1969 vintage (the 1W W=1969)
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. This gun just seems to look older than it is.I did take another look at the gun and found other stampings on it sp with a circle around it under the breech of each barrel also there is an S stamped on the bottom of the barrel or hinge.also the stamping BY A B the A and B both have circles around them there is also another strange symble stamped under the right fireing pin it looks like a B placed horizontal with a notch in the center and another S before it? Thanks again for your help there are alot of stamps on this gun. Kevin
[/quote]

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I just had a thought, the Gun Control Act of 1968 required serial numbers. This is exactly why I don't believe in the circled number and letter dating system.

if you are real serious about knowing the age do a seach in the search box at top for callahan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts