Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For awhile I have had an irrational hankering for a Winchester 21 set up from the factory with a beavertail forearm and a raised rib.

But you take what you can get and I went with an early 30" two trigger splinter forearm 12 gauge choked modified and full.

More pictures and a pattern report to follow:

I can now answer that most vexing of questions facing firearms owners this election season:

21 or NID

·
Banned
579 Posts
Bushmaster - We are pretty much Winchester and Ithaca lovers in our family and anyone who has read some of my previous posts will know that I love my 37's and 12's equally. A few years ago, I decided that I really needed to have a Model 21. Not being a wealthy person, it took me a while to sell some items and accumulate enough capital to afford a really nice 21 - eventually I acquired a 1937 vintage 20 ga.skeet in mint condition. As you can imagine, I paid more for it than I ever had done before for a shotgun. Although it was heavy for a 20 at 7lbs, it was beautifully balanced and handled like a dream and was lightning quick on targets. However, the bottom line was this: I didn't shoot it any better than my Mod 37 & Mod 12 slide actions and, of course, tied up a whole lot of money. So, eventually I sent it down the road. I still retain one double, my 1910 Flues 16, but these days all my clay bird shooting is done with 37's and 12's. That's just me, of course, but if you are asking: NID or 21, I can only offer the opinion that, performance-wise, there is not a whit of difference between them. They are both rugged American doubles - a little heavy for the type, but exceedingly solid - really kind of built from the same cloth! The Win 21 commands the big bucks and people have to decide if they are worth the price of admission, but I doubt they will perform any better than a nice NID. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ithacaskbfan said:
Congrats on the new gun. I can't fault you for your choice. You will always get your money back if you need to sell.
I will stray some day too but my affair will be with a Parker DHE 12 gauge vent rib trap gun.
I see what you mean
This non vent rib is on GunbroKer right now:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Bushmaster, Cabelas near me had one, with the vent rib, full/full, 30" barrels, which is what started the desire to have one. They started at $6500 and lowered it to $4400 and it finally sold. I got to handle it about 12 times before it went to it's new home. It was just beautiful.
The Winchester 21 is beautiful too, though. Hopefully you will shoot it well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.