Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats this all about? :? I just got home from a miserable trap shoot. I'm hittin the things, they change direction but dont break so it doesn't count as a kill.

I was using Estate shells #7.5 and switched back to my regular Remingtons #8's, regular game load and did worse! Other people noticed this also. Several other folks were shooting the same rems and not having this problem.
I hit 22/25 but only broke 10/25 on my last shoot.

Talk about frustrating. Do I need to step up to trap loads like AA's or Nitro's?

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you're "hitting" them with 7.5s and they're not breaking, you're not really hitting them. It only takes 3-5 pellets to break the bird. It's most likely that you're off the target, and only a couple of pellets are actually making contact (it's a big cloud of shot).

I just switched from 8s to 7.5s precisely because the larger pellets munch the targets better. I'm not sure what you mean by "trap loads", but 1 to 1-1/8oz of 7.5 or 8 should be right where you want to be (and Winchester AAs are in this range). After that it's practice, practice, practice.

-- Sam

G

·
I think next week I'm gonna show up with a pocket full of turkey loads! That ought to break em! J/K

Maybe the clays are made from steel now? LOL

I was wondering if I should quit using the game and target loads and switch to more expensive target only type loads.

is there that much of a difference in them?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
switch to high quality loads that have very hard shot
these are my favorite trap/skeet/sporting clay and earl season dove loads. Baschieri and Pellagri F2 Sporting 28 gram.
www.bandpamerica.com
you can buy cheaper but you can't buy better. B&P's are the best target loads on the market.

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
You may be using too open a choke OR letting the target get too far out before shooting. Sometimes a target doesn't break when only hit a glancing blow by the pellet, but this shouldn't happen 10 or 12 times in a 25 target round of trap.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Shooting a hotter load or a bigger shot charge won't fix your problem. If the birds are "dusting" or their path is being deflected, you're just catching them on the edge of the pattern, and not hitting them with enough pellets to break them. If you miss 'em with a light load, you'll miss 'em with a heavy load, and have a sore shoulder to boot.

If you have been shooting for some time and this has not happened before, shake it off and come back next week. I carry a 24+ average for 16 yard trap, but last year, I had one night when I shot 2 rounds under 20. Sometimes the wheels fall off.

My recommendation - shoot a 1 oz load, no faster than 1200 fps, modified choke if you're reasonably quick, full choke or improved mod if you're a slow shooter, and pattern the load you're shooting at the approximate distance you're breaking the birds. There is, as one of my buddies says, a lot of "mentals" to the shooting sports. If you miss a bird you can shake it off, but if you miss two in a row you start wondering what you're doing wrong, and then you start changing everything and thinking about everything but the next bird.

·
Registered
139 Posts
this is a good time to practice your lead and follow thru. One reason you are not breaking them is that you are shooting at the clay, instead of ahead of the clay. The edge of your pattern is hitting the bird, but if you get about an inch ahead of the clay, and follow thru when you fire, you will get that pattern right on the clay. Just last night I figured out my secret to hitting them all, and I went from mid 15s to a 20/25 and a 21/25. Figure out your secret, and you will break them all, and those hard lefts and rights will become 10 times easier than those damn straightaways.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
This is the best quote yet !

If you miss 'em with a light load, you'll miss 'em with a heavy load, and have a sore shoulder to boot.
If you read your original post, other people were hitting them with the same shell as you used, so it must be something else.

What else changed? If you have hit them with with the Estates and the Remingtons, then its not the shell. Did you change guns/choke/mount, etc. Sometimes our timing goes all to heck. Sometimes we let our blood sugar go down too far and we miss?

I'd suggest that you look at other things first

Roger

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wwb said:
If you have been shooting for some time and this has not happened before, shake it off and come back next week.

quote]

You guys sure know how to make a guy feel bad.LOL

Your supposed to tell me that my load is wrong or my gun...Something besides me! :cry:

I have not changed anything on my gun.

I usually get 17 or better. I have been shooting trap for about 6 months and this was the worst I have ever done.

It was weird since the birds would make a hard turn. I definatly hit em but they dont count.

I still think they were overcooked or something :wink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your not hitting the birds. The shot is disturbing the air around the birds flight path and causing the bird to deviate by the turbulent air mass. If you are getting any hits at all, you should be able to see dust or colored dye come off of the bird. Have someone at a safe distance watch you shoot , sans earplugs, and find out if they can hear the shot hit the bird. I have broken birds with almost no powder in the shell due to a blockage in the drop tube.
Rob

·
Registered
520 Posts
Chris142,

I assume you are shooting 16 yard trap? What gun and choke are you using? Do stick with quality loads vs cheap stuff. I reload for all my shooting and find that 1 oz of # 8 will break 27 yrd trap targets just fine, if you are choked right and do your part. If you are dusting the targets you are on the fringe of the pattern. 2 or 3 pellets may not break a target but will draw dust. Give us some details on your gun / choke.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Chris142 -

If you're looking for an excuse, here's the best one I've ever heard -

"My shoes are laced too tight... forces all the blood to my head and makes my eyes cross... can't shoot cross-eyed"

Sure beats those lame excuses like "The sun was in my eyes." or "The wind caught it just as I shot."

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anonymous said:
Yes I was shooting from the 16.
I'm shootin a mossy 500 with a "mod" choke.
Dagnabbit I fergot to sign in.

When I first started shooting I was using a "full" choke. About 2 months ago I switched to the "mod" one. I didn't seem to do any different untill last tuesday.

G

·
I'm an AA Trap shooter and I'm seeing lower scores with the Bio-degradable targets. Our range stoped using them for trap because of all the complaining. But do not give up you may just need to adjust your stance. Changeing from season to season can also affect your scores a light vest in the summer and a coat/rain gear can make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Chris142,

If the load is the same, the gun is the same and the choke the same... then, as Sherlock Holmes would say, we are left with the only thing different is YOU.

But you will not be able to sense this at the time. Your timing is probably off - did you let the birds get away further or did you try to take them sooner? Did you shoot in a new position in the roation, sooner or later? Could your blood sugar have been down - how long since you had eaten/what had you eaten.

HOWEVER, forget all this analysis. You know how when computers get screwed up you go back to restored good state? That is what you have to do.

Get out there, take your postion, and check - does this feel like me when I break clays? If your feet, your balance, do not feel right, futz with them until they do feel LIKE THEY DID THE LAST TIME YOU SMOKED 'EM. Look at the trap, test yourself, is this where I look when I crush clays? Mount the gun, does it feel the same ? fuss with it so that it feels the same as the last time you broke clays with authority.

Reading this you will say to yourself, I don't know what it felt like when I was breaking them?

BUT trust me, when you get the gun on your cheek and you concentrate on how it feels, you WILL remember - you will say to yourself, 'this is like me when I break the clay' Then go do it, call pull and see that sucker shatter !

Roger

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did much better today.

I put the full choke back in and bought some Remington nitro's. The gold ones.

I guess these shells are not legal for competition but I'm just practicing and the re-loader guys follow me around waiting to get my hulls. LOL

I shot a 22/25 from the 16. 17/25 from the 24 and a 16/25 from the 16 again. It was warming up fast. Infact it was plain hot and sweat was getting in my eyes on the last round.

I was definatly hittin them today......They would disapear instead of just a couple of pieces flying off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.