Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bougt a new 12 ga 28" barrel white lightning. I used to have a stoeger SXS which I traded in to get it. My problem is I can't hit a thing with this new gun. I have patterned it and it patterns a bit high 70/30 at 40 yrds Mod choke. I just got it and was out pheasant hunting. Shot 2 boxes of shells, 1 rooster and the rest are still clucking! What am I doing wrong! :?:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Shoot, Shoot, Shoot. There was another fella on here Tex45 or somthing that had some similiar issues when he got his. Its probably just takes some getting used to the fit and feel of the new gun. Its an awesome gun, I love mine. Mine patterned about 60/40 with B&P 7.5's at the same distance. You might not be getting down enough on the stock. That was my problem at first. After about 400 rounds, it shoots like a dream. I went from an 11-87 to this gun and it was my first O/U. Its my absolute favorite now. Won't go back to autos, that's for sure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Like VAByrd says, it probably just needs to get comfortable with you.... :D

There are a lot of differences in any SXS and any O/U. you are going from a short, relatively flat forend that requires more of a fingertip or folded finger hold to a long, narrow, deep forend that sits down in the cup of your grip. You also have a lot less barrel mass in your sight picture, which could account for shooting ahead of or behind targets that you would have hit with the SXS. I am not familiar with your particular gun, but on my SXS's the rib is flat and level with the tops of the barrels. On the O/U the rib is raised slightly, which could also interfere with the sight picture you are used to looking at. There is also the weight difference to consider.

Like a ZO6 Vette vs. a Ferrari...both are fast, but you can't drive them the same way.

Once you learn to drive the new O/U, you will be fine. Most likely some subtle differences that a good range session and fine tuning will take care of. Best of luck and you have a really nice gun to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Just give it some time. I tried shooting skeet with the factory IC and Mod chokes and was disappointed with the results. Put in two skeet chokes and I'm back in business.

I love mine. It does have a different feel to it than my semi-autos. Actually, it feels better balanced.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Skeet chokes in it helps. I used mine for skeet, but also for upland and I just left them skeet chokes in it. It seemed to pattern better using them over the ic/mod combo in my gun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will keep trying as I love the gun as well. It's a dandy and you can fire as fast as you like. I've also noticed that it patterns about 4" to the left as well as high. Now if I could just get that to the right 4" it would help. Any ideas?

·
Registered
388 Posts
and one more thing..

My Browning choke tube speech. The tubes that come with your gun are not as tight as the Briley aftermarket tubes. I found the Briley skeet measures the same as Browning I/C. The Carlson tubes are in precise 5 or 10 thousandths increments. The factory ones are made to Miroku specs. I think Browning was going to change this, so it may or may not be the same since your gun is brand new.

I noticed that I shot mine a little left as well. I think it just might be a little flinch or the cast in the stock. I was thinking about shooting it off a rest to see if it was me or the gun. Im not to worried though. I used to have a problem lifting my head off the gun, so I practiced a lot with light 7/8 loads to work on my follow through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.