Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 reports from Florida:

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Channel 9 has learned a young girl with a knife threatened another student at Pine Hills Elementary School on Monday and she's only seven years old.

The sheriff's office has not said what charges might be filed against the second-grade girl. Both children involved in the classroom incident were taken home by their parents Monday.

"A knife," fellow student Javon told Eyewitness News.

Javon said he saw it all in his second-grade classroom, a classmate making a death threat before the weapon was found.

"She said that she told this girl in class that she was gonna kill the other girl," Javon said.
http://www.wftv.com/news/14816127/detail.html

DELTONA, Fla. -- A student was attacked in a Deltona school and no one was told. Tiffani Harden said a student at Galaxy Middle School slashed her son's arm with a piece of glass and then appeared in class the next day like nothing happened.

Harden pulled her children from the school, convinced their safety is in jeopardy. The district said the incident wasn't serious enough for them to contact police, but it was serious enough for the victim's mother to file her own police report and get her son medical care.
http://www.wftv.com/news/14817022/detail.html

OCALA, Fla. -- A 10-year old Ocala girl brought her lunch to school and a small kitchen knife to cut it. She now faces a felony charge after being arrested. The school and the sheriff's office disagree on the reason for the arrest.

School officials say the 5th grader was brown-bagging it. She brought a piece of steak for her lunch, but she also brought a steak knife. That's when deputies were called.

It happened in the cafeteria at Sunrise Elementary School. The 10-year-old used the knife to cut the meat.

"She did not use it inappropriately. She did not threaten anyone with it. She didn't pull it out and brandish it. Nothing of that nature," explained Marion County School Spokesman Kevin Christian.

But a couple of teachers took the utensil and called the sheriff. When deputies arrived, they were unable to get the child's parents on the phone, so they arrested her and took her to the county's juvenile assessment center.

"And we didn't handcuff her or treat her like a criminal. But, we took her to the assessment center to be assessed," said Capt. James Pogue, Marion County Sheriff's Office.

School officials said it doesn't matter what the knife was being used for. They said they had no choice.

"Anytime there's a weapon on campus, yes, we have to report it and we aggressively report it because we don't want to take any chances, regardless," Christian said.

But the sheriff's office said the extreme measures in what some may say was a harmless incident had to do with school policy, not theirs.

"But once we're notified, we have to take some type of action," Pogue explained.

The student now faces a felony charge for the possession of a weapon on school property and the principal suspended her for ten days. The parents of the girl could not be reached for comment.
http://www.wftv.com/news/14858405/detail.html

The way I see it:

In the first report, a threat was made...at the time, it was not known if charges would be filed. Second story...a kid slashes another kid with a piece of glass, but school officials didn't consider the incident "serious enough to contact police".

Then, a kid brings a steak knife to lunch to do nothing but cut up a piece of meat to eat. What happens? The kid is arrested and faces a felony charge. :roll:

Beam me up. {F*

What happened to common sense? How long are we going to put up with this kind of crap? I've always been a proponent of public schools, but this kind of utterly moronic stupidity is causing me to question my previous conviction.

Pardon the rant.

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
Is a knife always a weapon??? How about a fork??? I would take a fork over a butter knife in a fight any day.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Common sense went the way of the DODO bird. When the courts took away our rights, as parents, to correct our children in whatever manner we deem needed at that time, this is the result. They(children) don't understand the thing about for every action there's a REaction.

HWD

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
My kids go to the school on our block.
Kindergarden through 4th grade.

A kid brought a BUTTER knife to school and pretended to use it as a weapon.

We got a serious letter sent to all parents about the "incident"

GIVE ME A BREAK!
WHAT A WASTE OF TIME.

Roger.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
They'll need to ban pencils, pens and other such weapons because they can be used to fatally stab someone.

To the poster doubting public "education" as currently seen in this country, doubt on. I never have been able to support it and I am a product of it. I'm going to do everything I can to avoid having to send my kids to that buffoonery.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MRPOWER said:
To the poster doubting public "education" as currently seen in this country, doubt on. I never have been able to support it and I am a product of it. I'm going to do everything I can to avoid having to send my kids to that buffoonery.
As another product and later on an elected trustee, I guess it just makes me sad more than anything to hear of such idiocy/knee-jerk reaction to things as silly as a little girl with a steak knife using it, of all things, to eat her lunch.

I used to be a believer...even still, I want to. Of course I came from a time of smoking areas, no problems with guns (or a cooler full of beer) in the parking lot, principals that could make big boys cry with their boards, coaches that would look you in the eye and equate you with parts of the female anatomy if you acted like one, and bus drivers that didn't bat an eye at kicking you off on the side of the road when you didn't abide the rules. Winners won and loosers didn't get a trophy for their self-esteem. Nowadays we're bombarded with stories like my posting and I'm constantly having to bring my chin back up to my face in bewilderment.

Seems to me that social engineering, standardized tests, and worship at the ADA alter (translation: $$$$) rule the public school day anymore...we're going down a big hill fast, and it's our fault for losing the important focus and letting those we elect do injustice to our kids.

It's no wonder to me that private schools, at least around here, can't build new facilities fast enough. I'm just glad my last kid is only 2 years away from graduation.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Bad boys Bad boys whacha going to do whacha going to do when they come for you?... Cops on location, "shake down of Stewie". :lol:

:w is this world coming to?

The no child left behind act. We'll make them criminals before they hit puberty. :?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
TOM-M said:
MRPOWER said:
As another product and later on an elected trustee, I guess it just makes me sad more than anything to hear of such idiocy/knee-jerk reaction to things as silly as a little girl with a steak knife using it, of all things, to eat her lunch.

I used to be a believer...even still, I want to. Of course I came from a time of smoking areas, no problems with guns (or a cooler full of beer) in the parking lot, principals that could make big boys cry with their boards, coaches that would look you in the eye and equate you with parts of the female anatomy if you acted like one, and bus drivers that didn't bat an eye at kicking you off on the side of the road when you didn't abide the rules. Winners won and loosers didn't get a trophy for their self-esteem. Nowadays we're bombarded with stories like my posting and I'm constantly having to bring my chin back up to my face in bewilderment.

Seems to me that social engineering, standardized tests, and worship at the ADA alter (translation: $$$$) rule the public school day anymore...we're going down a big hill fast, and it's our fault for losing the important focus and letting those we elect do injustice to our kids.

It's no wonder to me that private schools, at least around here, can't build new facilities fast enough. I'm just glad my last kid is only 2 years away from graduation.
It's a sad day when lunch gets you arrested, and a fight gets you protected. I keep thinking of moving to Brazil or someplace with lots of WIDE-OPEN country where I can live, raise my kids in peace, bust their tails when they need it and generally keep it sane without the stupidity of modern "culture" and the very oxymoronic "civilization" in today's world.

Disclaimer: I said Brazil simply because one could get freakin' lost forever in the forest. No other reason. Don't start an argy'ment over who's country has the best gun laws because that was NOT the intention here.

·
Registered
203 Posts
its been less than 20 years since i graduated from public school but i clearly remember just about every guy there having a pocket knife IN their pocket and most of em had a shotgun in the truck in the parking lot and there never was a problem. matter of fact actually had a teacher ask me for my blade a couple of times cuz he needed to open a package and never got in trouble. any time there was a fight it was settled with fists not knives guns or whatever just 2 guys or girls for that matter standing toe to toe.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
southernvahunter said:
its been less than 20 years since i graduated from public school but i clearly remember just about every guy there having a pocket knife IN their pocket and most of em had a shotgun in the truck in the parking lot and there never was a problem. matter of fact actually had a teacher ask me for my blade a couple of times cuz he needed to open a package and never got in trouble. any time there was a fight it was settled with fists not knives guns or whatever just 2 guys or girls for that matter standing toe to toe.
It's only been two for me-
Knives were supposably illegal, but a pretty good portion of the school carried some kind of knife, and it wasn't uncommon for a teacher to borrow it for whatever. Many guys carried knives out in full view on their belt.

On the other hand, possession of a single empty shell casing could get you suspended. It was only maybe two years before this that it was perfectly legal to carry your guns in your car.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
MRPOWER said:
They'll need to ban pencils, pens and other such weapons because they can be used to fatally stab someone.
Well since you mentioned it...

My youngest sister was walking in the hall at Elem school when some kid running the hall, with his pencil in a stabbing hold,
nailed her in the chest just below the collar bone. Broke the lead off in her chest, sank in about 2" +/- a scoach.
They called Mother to take my sister to the Doc or E/R.....
Don't think they did a thing to the kid?????
Not even making his parents responsible for the medical bills
This was in 1975/76.....
I carried a Gerber on my belt for years in school. Friend had a Buck.
Had to watch out for those razor sharp "PEN" knives thou :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.