Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my redhead today and its sweet. But being this is my first shotgun i had some questions.

i put it together and started opening it up, and it doesnt break real smoothly. it seems tight, is that b/c it isnt broken it well enough yet?

i assumed it was, but i just wanted to be sure.

thanks

lynx

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Two things are commonly seen in a new o/u: stiff opening and/or closing and top lever biased a bit to the right when the action is closed. Most Huglus aren't too tight when new. I've seen Browning Citoris that are so tight that the owner could not open or close it without grimacing. I suggest you do not do anything about the tight action other than lube it, operate it and (preferably) shoot it. The fore end iron, cocking rod and ejector (assuming 12 ga) mechanisms all need to wear in a bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome, it was tight opening and closing. i'm hoping to take it shooting on saturday.

i guess i'll just lube it up and open/close it a bit, then hopefully i can shoot it this weekend. gonna try a sporting clays course i think.

thanks for the help

lynx

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I use powdered graphite-put it on the bearing surfaces and work the action.Do this every day when you get a chance-it will soon be butter smooth :wink: 8)

·
Registered
35 Posts
thehumanlynx said:
the lever is a little to the right also.
It's supposed to be. I think what he meant was that some of them stay over too far when you close the gun until they get broke in a bit.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
And keep it lubed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts