Who cooks in your house?
Him615.00%
Her1332.50%
Combined effort2152.50%

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I'm in charge of the turkey. I put it in the oven at 500 degrees for the first 30 minutes to brown the skin. The idea was to turn it down to 350 degrees and cook til done. Right after I put it in, I get a call and have to go pick up a friend who is coming over to celebrate with us. I tell her I need to go out, and that she needs to turn down the oven in 30 minutes. I even set the kitchen timer to remind her. Just as I'm walking out the door, the phone rings and she starts happily chatting with her brother.
I return home 2 hours later and as soon as I open the front door, the smell of burning turkey hits me like a ton of bricks.
Needless to say, the oven is still at 500 degrees and the turkey is burnt to a crisp on the outside and raw in the middle.
Luckily we had lots of other stuff to eat.
Of course, I had to act like it was no big deal, that I completely understood how the ONE thing she was in charge of for the Thanksgiving meal was just too much to keep track of and that I didn't mind a bit.
She said she talked to her brother for an hour and didn't hear the timer go off.
I guess there's always next year.
I was really looking forward to that turkey though.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Neither of us, we go out an eat. Just the 2 of us, its cheaper to do that.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My wife's a great baker...so she handles the breads, pies, cakes, etc. I get to do the entrees for the holidays. The rest of the year we pretty much trade off...depends who gets home first. Also...the one who doesn't cook usually cleans up the kitchen and does dishes.

It's fun to share the duties. :lol:

hunter20ga

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I do the most cooking and she does the most cleaning - we're both happy with that. We both work and nothing would get done without a division of labor. :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
mdboatbum...
You could have deep fried the turkey in about 45 min. and, in my opinion, had a more moist and tender bird.
Just a thought. :wink:

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I put in combined effort but she most often prepares the meals. I make and freeze a lot of soups and stews which only need to be heated up later. My wife often works from home and is a much better short order cook so she makes many meals. I am the chef and baker and my meals are more of an undertaking. I like to get creative and elaborate in the making and presentation so need a bit of time in which to work. When we have company I do the majority of the cooking but chip in at other times. The dishwasher does most of the dishes though the tough stuff is often done by the wife. She'll save it for the next day and do it as a break if she is working at home. The sink has a great view over the pasture and fields and she finds the combination relaxing.

·
Registered
377 Posts
when i was just married my wife had several jobs that were 2nd shift i had to cook then so dinner wasnt served at 11:00 pm now shes home at5:30 first one home cooks

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Tough luck on the Thanksgiving Feast!!

However, remember - it was only a turkey!! :oops: Nothing real important in the big scheme of things!!

Love Her Dearly - cause she ain't gonna change! :wink:

Thanks for the posting.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Md, I've been cooking turkey for about 35 years...I've never heard of anyone turning up the heat to 500 for any length of time. Start it and keep it at 350, use one of those cooking bags and sit back and don't worry about the turkey till done. (180 inside the thigh). It will come out browned and moist inside with no basting.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
We share the cooking and cleaning chores.

Decision making is another matter. She decides on the minor things like, how much money we will spend,what car we will drive,where we will live,where we will vacation,etc. I make the major decisions like, shall we admit Red China to the U.N. :lol:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
We share...sort of.

If it's cooked outside (smoked, fried, or grilled) which is often at our house, it's mine. I usually do all breakfast beyond cold cereal and I can get the dishes cleaned up in 1/3 the time it takes her...'course I don't wash them before they go in the dishwasher :roll: .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Once I hit the kitchen everything else in the house can wait. I LOVE to cook, so I take great care and pride in preparing meals.

And as far as multitasking goes....when I worked as a nanny I had to wrangle 5 kids whilst making dinner (including two under the age of two)...so there are some of us who can manage it. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts